Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[OFFICIAL] Overall thoughts on Pony Life

Venomous

Many threads have been created sharing one’s overall thoughts on the series.
To avoid any further locking/merging, this will be the official thread to do just that.

What are your general thoughts on it?

I don’t like it. I gave it a chance like I said I would before it aired and I gotta say, it’s no good 👎

• Brohoof 3

• This topic was pinned and featured

Must say Princess Probz was an awful first impression. So bad I was going to decide that spin-off was not worth watching. Thank god from the next episode onwards became decent enough to at least look forward the next episode each Sunday.

overall: other than the first episode, the series is distracting enough. Don’t expect nor aim to be deeper, but get your fix of pastel horses. However, Potion Nova is the very best addition in it. Kinda teases you she’s leading the show somewhere more interesting 

• Brohoof 1

Sorry, but I gotta be honest...aside from some of the references...the show is just (hate to use this harsh of a word)...stupid. It has too much randomness that it completely ruins the vibe. My thoughts were right, it is like TTG, and I hate to say it. I watched some of the latest episode and that just confirmed what I said above. 

11 hours ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

Sorry, but I gotta be honest...aside from some of the references...the show is just (hate to use this harsh of a word)...stupid. It has too much randomness that it completely ruins the vibe. My thoughts were right, it is like TTG, and I hate to say it. I watched some of the latest episode and that just confirmed what I said above. 

I agree with you. I could see the TTG style coming from a mile- no, miles away. This show just isn’t good. I watched the first 4 episodes but I stopped after that. 

I was expecting much worse after that first commercial. Honestly I think it's a cute fun show that I would watch it even if it wasn't pony. Some episodes are better than others, but generally they seem to be getting better as they go, with Dol-Fin-Ale being my favorite episode so far. I'll definitely be sticking around to see how the rest of the show goes.

I had to give up on Pony Life. I gave the first 6 episodes attention, but it just kept being a show meant for a different audience than me. Also, the familiar faces just makes things worse. I would have liked it if it was new characters in a new world. On second thought, no

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Splashee® said:

I had to give up on Pony Life. I gave the first 6 episodes attention, but it just kept being a show meant for a different audience than me. Also, the familiar faces just makes things worse. I would have liked it if it was new characters in a new world. On second thought, no

Oh well. You tried:)

18 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Oh well. You tried:)

But people are talking about this new pony, potion something, and how she changed the show for the better. I am not 100% sure I have given up yet

Most of it is boring but a couple of episodes weren’t bad. I think the main downfall is there is no plot structure, the show is too focused on spouting random “modern” things at us and jokes with no support to them.

4 hours ago, Splashee® said:

But people are talking about this new pony, potion something, and how she changed the show for the better. I am not 100% sure I have given up yet

Potion nova?.... Really? That made you interseted.... I dont know she seems hmmm predictable.....i hope im wrong

On 8/9/2020 at 12:54 AM, Kujamih said:

Potion nova?.... Really? That made you interseted.... I dont know she seems hmmm predictable.....i hope im wrong

Potion Nova was the ultimate turn-off for me. That was the end. I thought it had some ray of hope when it started, but nope...same old TTG worthless plotlines that hae no substance.

It's worth comparing to the change from the early 2010s Littlest Pet Shop series – the one with Blythe – to A World Of Our Own.

In AWOOO, there were mostly all different characters, that largely interacted in the non-human world, while in PL it's largely the same characters interacting in a similar world. However, they're both shorter than the series they launched off of, both less bound to narrative continuity than before, and both came around after the main series got long in the tooth.

They also both seem like gentler sequels, not the radical redesign their predecessors were to their 90s incarnations. Consequently, neither have big merchandise pushes associated with them.

I believe Pony Life will do its job in keeping the MLP brand in use, and in kids'/the industry's minds, for several years, even after it's eventually cancelled, until Hasbro comes out with the next big incarnation.

On to my own thoughts.

It's really not my PERSONAL cup of tea – mostly because of the very short length, not because of it being on Treehouse (I still think FiM could have been on a more mainstream cartoon channel).

But I feel it's decent. The misaligned outlines and spongy primary colors in the background harken back to G3, which is interesting, but somehow make the world feel smaller, less real.

The dialogue is, to me, written well, despite such a compressed time.

The stories, however, feel underwhelming. They have to balance being entertaining, funny, and slightly educational within roughly six minutes, leaving time for only a single story, and little in the way of lore or character development. To be honest, I was much more interested in the stories of Corn and Peg.

Moreover, it simply reinforces the restrictions inherent to the My Little Pony IP, which have been tightened up from the loosenings in FiM. Those restrictions were what inspired me to create Firewake.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think my own personal criticism of Pony Life...

It's not crazy enough.  

I mean, if you're going to go with a denser and wackier version of My Little Pony, you might as well take some inspiration from Tex Avery and implement them into these stories.  As someone who's seen almost all of them, I would prefer if the series had a even wackier vibe to it.  Sure you got FLuttershy growing and shrinking, Rarity puking out gems and Twilight shattering to pieces.  But I would like it if it were wackier.

But that's just me.  I expected a wacky, zany Pony series.  But it didn't feel like it was wacky enough, and felt too similar to Friendship is Magic.

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually quite enjoying it. It may be because my expectations were rock bottom after the last few seasons, and outright rage quitting S9, but I'm really liking Pony Life, much more than S9, or 6 for that matter. The simplicity of the stories, and the general more wacky approach, I feel work in it's favor, and it's not regularly off its high horse like the main show got on the back half on its run. Though the first few episodes being split into two parts was weird, and made the first impressions rough, making every episode its own thing has definitely worked in its favor. Obviously its not perfect, there are some things I really dislike(I actively dislike the PL versions of Rarity and especially Fluttershy, use of modern tech and trends is gonna date this thing), but there are some things I think it does much better than the main show(I honestly prefer PL Twilight and especially AJ over their main counterparts, I think it does continuous story arcs and general continuity much better than the main show. Oh and Potion Nova is a cinnamon bun). PL also does quite a few stories that should have been in the main show, but the main show decided to ditch them in favor of something more moronic(An episode about AJ's hat and her identity, something we rarely ever see her without, but the show deciding to beat you over the head with apples and family. RD trying to win a "best loser" contest sounds hilarious and makes sense, main show decided to punish the audience instead with dumb shit no one asked for like Newbie Dash, 28Pl, or fucking Buckball).

Spoiler

of course I gotta throw shots at those episodes lol

Honestly at this rate, I wouldn't mind ending my G4 pony run with Pony Life, I actually look forward to future episodes. It's got its flaws but I'm honestly happy to be enjoying pony again

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

I like it. :coco: I did not have any real expectations for it from the promos, but it turned out to be really entertaining. It reminded me of what happened when Equestria Girls first came out. The fast pacing and brevity of the episodes is sure to be a turn-off for some, but I love the high-energy plots, how everyone is still in character, and how they work in story arcs and darker, more bizarre jokes. If this show is ponified Teen Titans Go (a comparison I'm admittedly getting tired of...), then it's ponified TTG done right. :fluttershy:  

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I like it. :coco: I did not have any real expectations for it from the promos, but it turned out to be really entertaining. It reminded me of what happened when Equestria Girls first came out. The fast pacing and brevity of the episodes is sure to be a turn-off for some, but I love the high-energy plots, how everyone is still in character, and how they work in story arcs and darker, more bizarre jokes. If this show is ponified Teen Titans Go (a comparison I'm admittedly getting tired of...), then it's ponified TTG done right. :fluttershy:  

I really think people need to stop with the TTG comparisons already. Besides the fact that it's, honestly, successful given it's lasted for about a decade as well as a movie(one that was more successful critically and commercially than MLP's no less), it's just exhausting just seeing everyone compare everything to TTG. Like, jeez guys it's been 10 years, give it a rest already(and yeah, I know, that's rich coming from me :sealed:)

• Brohoof 2

On 8/22/2020 at 6:38 PM, Megas said:

I really think people need to stop with the TTG comparisons already. Besides the fact that it's, honestly, successful given it's lasted for about a decade as well as a movie(one that was more successful critically and commercially than MLP's no less), it's just exhausting just seeing everyone compare everything to TTG. Like, jeez guys it's been 10 years, give it a rest already(and yeah, I know, that's rich coming from me :sealed:)

That's not the only show I think should stop with the TTG comparisons.  Ironically, another show that I think should stop with those comparisons is Thundercats: Roar.  I've been checking out clips, and I'm aware that it's a silly take on the original Thundercats.  But I still see it as more of a Guilty Pleasure.  Hell.  IT's a better idea than having a Thundercats movie be directed by Michael Bay(And no.  There isn't one announced...yet.)

On a side note, why do I want to see a Pony Life/Thundercats Roar crossover?

On 8/28/2020 at 8:30 PM, Splashee® said:

How is Pony Life treating you, hard core fans?

It has been a few weeks, and I have completely ignored it. Is it still as "entertaining"? :ooh:

It’s either boring or confusing for me right now. I’m real behind on a good number of episodes so I’ll have to catch up on them and see if they’re any better.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

It’s either boring or confusing for me right now. I’m real behind on a good number of episodes so I’ll have to catch up on them and see if they’re any better.

Do you think it will get better? Like will it become the next popular thing after G4?

On 8/28/2020 at 8:30 PM, Splashee® said:

How is Pony Life treating you, hard core fans?

It has been a few weeks, and I have completely ignored it. Is it still as "entertaining"? :ooh:

Umm it is entertaining. Random? Yes! But I can still watch it sometimes...

• Brohoof 1