Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[OFFICIAL] Overall thoughts on Pony Life

Venomous

On 8/31/2020 at 4:39 PM, Timix321 said:

Umm it is entertaining. Random? Yes! But I can still watch it sometimes...

It is good to see a few of you can enjoy it! :coco:

Dr Wolf review: this show too fast for muh brain, but don't judge it cuz toxic optimism.

Other reviews: its not fim its bad I loved fim y u do dis

2 other reviews: Kinda bad for kids to watch, kinda promoting substance abuse, at least some of the animation is alright

What I think: this is painful to watch, but I can follow it unlike some people I guess *looks at dr wolf* but its colorful and energetic and the animation is decent. I could watch it as a means to exercise some of my critical thinking skills. Like Applejack was eating chocolate and 'oh this does make me feel better' but the science says junk food making people feel better is a temporary high and it makes people feel worse long-term. And that's kinda how substance abuse works too (but the real bit is the potion use in the show). So because I'm fast enough to watch the show, and see whats wrong with it or what works, then I'll probably watch it then because its content heavy even if its shallow and painful to watch. And my mind is like 'is this satire, is this not satire, idk' its like a meta irony. Like, some shows like Moral Orel work because the characters aren't trustworthy. But a show like this kinda blurs the lines. But tbh I cannot just watch more than 3 episodes in a row. Buuut this isn't the first time MLP referenced substance use. Like literally episode one Twi getting a drink, or when vinyl was probably on a substance in one of those equestria girls shorts. The show is aware of what its implications are, and who its real audience is. But me not being a gullible child, its probably okay for me to watch.

Edited by NiceVillains

As a MLP property, it's the equivalent of jingling car keys.

No depth, no story, nothing to keep you coming back, the characters are interchangeable and the sooner you treat it as something completely divorced from Friendship is Magic, the happier and saner your'll be.

• Brohoof 1

So I might be the only one of the original Fim pegasisters to say this,but it’s not too bad!

I will note that is not nearly as amazing as Fim,but it does have the potential to be okay if not as amazing as Fim . I do miss the magical laser light rainbows when defeating bad villains,and the villains in the first place,and the potions are a bit weird,but it’s actually nice to see the other side of the ponies even if the jokes need work. Potion nova is a nice addition and twilight sparkles new role model,and fluttercord is canon so we should just see how it goes.

overall rating: 6.5/10

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 2:44 PM, The Nth Doctor said:

As a MLP property, it's the equivalent of jingling car keys.

No depth, no story, nothing to keep you coming back, the characters are interchangeable and the sooner you treat it as something completely divorced from Friendship is Magic, the happier and saner your'll be.

Some of the earlier episodes were like that, but it got better later on. Not particularly impressive relative to FiM (or cartoons in general), but fairly entertaining.

I don't get why people are so mad about Pony Life. It's not G5, it's not even a show to watch and love, it's simply a probe. Hasbro made an effortless spin-off just to be able to put whatever they want into this and watch for fans' reaction and fill time gap between generations

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love Pony Life. It's all delightfully mental, funny and imaginative and I'm really looking forward to the second season, which I hope actually happens. When I first found out about the show being made I thought it would just be something okayish to bridge the gap between generations 4 and 5, but I ended up liking it much more than I expected to. Still, I can understand why it rubs up so many fans of Friendship is Magic the wrong way.

Edited by Solar Power
  • Brohoof 2

I found it alright, but it's no FIM, for sure. Maybe the lack of variety is the biggest problem I had with it – we didn't get the more adventure and action-oriented episodes with the whole focus being on comedy, and it wasn't funny enough to make up for that.

The first few episodes were the ones I liked the most, then my interest started declining. The Potion Nova episodes were a return to form, as were a couple of others, but I found some of the later episodes to be among the weakest in the series (the extremely predictable "The Mysterious Voice" being the low point for me). In general, I'd say the strongest episodes were the ones featuring supporting characters in addition to the Mane 6, whether it was a new character (Potion Nova, Dishwater Slog and the "alternative ponies" being the most memorable ones) or a returning one from FIM (seeing Trixie again was especially nice). Speaking of the old characters, it was a positive surprise to have most of the original voice cast back – it's a shame it couldn't happen with Spike, though. :mustache: The episodes with longer stories were generally better than the shorter five-minute ones.

Whenever season 2 airs, I'm sure I'll watch it, but I'm not looking forward to it in the same way I used to with FIM.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 5

I have now a full opinion about Pony Life. I have only watched the 6 first episodes, but still, my opinion comes from Bronies React:

They are always trying to make a show that is not FIM appear to be really good, like Equestria Girls or MLP The Movie, no matter if it is actually good or not, just because it is the way Bronies are supposed to be like. Thankfully, Pony Life is just such a crazy nonsense show that it actually broke some of their minds in the process.

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

I try to watch it on occasion even though it’s pretty boring. Really, I’m only watching it because it has ponies in it and I’m just curious about the writing in Pony Life.

The writing is not the best :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, ExplosionMare said:

Nope it is not, especially when selfies are involved :eww:

I stopped watching before the character "Selfies" was introduced... Or what was her name?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen all the episodes and I love it. When I first heard it was coming I thought it would just be a bit of low-quality Pony that would fill the gap for me between generations 4 and 5, but it's turned out to be much better than that. It's delightfully mental and entertaining, but it was always going to rub a lot of Friendship is Magic fans up the wrong way in the way that Equestria Girls did. Maybe even more so. You just have to watch it without expecting it to be Friendship is Magic.

I think it has a lot of under-appreciated inventiveness and a real comedic heart among all the craziness. That said, I do think the earlier episodes were better - the show seemed to lose something halfway through. The thousand-miles-per-hour pacing, which in the early episodes reminded me of that in Star vs. the Forces of Evil, also seemed to slow down in the latter episodes, or maybe it just seemed that way because I'd got used to it. I'd have to rewatch it all to see, but they really seemed to be much faster paced earlier on. The first episode in particular seemed to go all-out with the insanity as if the writers were letting us know that this super fast craziness is what the show's all about.

Really looking forward to seeing where they take this show in season 2 if and when it comes.

Edited by Solar Power

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to [OFFICIAL] Overall thoughts on Pony Life