Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted Looking for help with pony Sketch

Stardust

I can see there is obviously some glaring issues with the legs and sizing.

Perhaps if I spent a little longer I could fix it but I am looking to see if anyone would be willing to dish out any advice with the posing and the issues as such at this stage. Even if it is simple stuff just small things.

And any tools you use to make it easier to draw ponies generally like posing tools and that. I am only just getting started with ponies as far as it goes :3

I am even happy to let you edit the image if you wish to suggest anything :) Thank you for reading

fwe.png.45e00750b72b669ea162ecf60ff82e7c.png

Edited by flurry
  • Brohoof 1

Aww that looks great already, even if it doesn't follow exact geometry.

The thing with tools is, you can end up locking yourself into a corner, while trying to follow rules instead of you core artist guts. You clearly have what it takes, so I suggest using multiple layers, sketch on top of the previous sketch, and if some parts look better, replace, and combine into a final sketch layer, before you begin the main drawing.

Sometimes I draw everything just to realize I kinda got a weird aspect ratio, and that's when I have to warp the picture a little, which can reduce the quality a lot. It can be avoided if more care is put into getting the sketch right. But probably not completely avoidable if you are OCD like me

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Splashee® said:

Aww that looks great already, even if it doesn't follow exact geometry.

The thing with tools is, you can end up locking yourself into a corner, while trying to follow rules instead of you core artist guts. You clearly have what it takes, so I suggest using multiple layers, sketch on top of the previous sketch, and if some parts look better, replace, and combine into a final sketch layer, before you begin the main drawing.

Sometimes I draw everything just to realize I kinda got a weird aspect ratio, and that's when I have to warp the picture a little, which can reduce the quality a lot. It can be avoided if more care is put into getting the sketch right. But probably not completely avoidable if you are OCD like me

Yup i agree with the guts and layers... To be honest i dont even use geometry...i did before...never again coz it looks more weirder for me....

Don't worry you'll develop or adapt to a technik that'll be easy for you..so i suggest look at artists speed runs on painting or stuff like them on you tube and see how the pro does it and apply to your own technique. 

Oh and never lose the urge to do better. Always think of your work needs improvement and never settle for mediocre work! 

That way you will strive to do better......or quit altogether:)

• Brohoof 1

It's looking good :)

I like how you get bold with active poses, I couldn't do that yet. 

I suggest you to use structural guides. Those armatures with spheres and lines but for ponies. Like this ones:

example 1

example 2

example 3

They are very helpful to start to get use to the measurements and distances between each part of the pony body. There's many ways to do armatures and you can choose the one that you like the most. 

What also has made me rethink my way of approaching drawing is seeing this guys draw and how their first drawing is only the sketch for the actual drawing which is a refined version of the first one. How they use layers and different colors to trick the mind to think it's not the definitive version, because they explain that when you draw in black your brain is like prepared to think that whatever you are drawing is going to be definitive because black is the color of pen ink. So they recommend to use another color to make it easier for your stress of making it perfect the first time.

• Brohoof 1