Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hand-feed your pets?

DubWolf

I give my dog plenty of treats by hand but before he bites it away, you need to say the word: “nice”. That way, he knows not to be aggressive with his snatches. He has accidentally bitten me a few times XD

• Brohoof 1

27 minutes ago, WWolf said:

Like you hold the food in your hand and you let them eat off of it :P ?

Not off of my palm, cuz my dog would lick it off my hand and it'll drop to the dirty floor :yeahno:

• Brohoof 2

I think you need to take your time with your pets before they can trust you to give them food. An example, my ducks are not accepting petting, or hugs. Some animals don't like you stepping into their "bubble". But when it comes to food, they do allow exceptions to this

• Brohoof 1

As, much I would love to hand feed my beardie he would probably confuse my fingers for a collard green or a mealworm. And I would like not to be bitten so its either I feed him with tongs or I just place the food into his bowl.

Edited by AriaTheLovely

Some dogs you shouldn't feed by hand by hand because they can be overzealous and chomp down on a digit or think it's ok to take food when it wasn't meant for them. I've had both of these happen, and the latter was my dog stealing a sandwich.

Most of the time I've given animals treats while I'm eating which has the downside of teaching them to beg, become picky and refuse regular dogfood, and their bodies can negatively react to certain substances so don't just give them anything.

Usually I keep it to a tiny piece of meat with cats or that and crackers with dogs, either tossing onto the floor or up in the air for them to catch. Largely out of practicality since I'm eating as well. Actual dog treats I'll give by hand half the time and always give it as a reward for good behavior/obedience so after putting up with something or doing a trick. Used to occasionally let our cats lick butter off of my finger but we've mostly switched over to cream and have bowls around for their canned food as well.

Our dog used to eat from our hands (and anything else that contained food for that matter). He wasn’t particular as long as he got those calories into his system. We used to have some geese but they were so skittish they were nearly impossible to hand feed. It was a fun challenge, even though I personally never did succeed at it. They were irresistible little walking bagpipes but not very approachable.

• Brohoof 2

On 8/13/2020 at 6:56 PM, Splashee® said:

Crush 🐌 guts under boot, point with finger, and 🦆 will eat. No need to pick up slimy guts in my hand :orly:

Lol :love: . I could picture you doing that :P . But I’m sure you’d like how it’d feel to have them eat it from your hand :please: ?

45 minutes ago, WWolf said:

Lol :love: . I could picture you doing that :P . But I’m sure you’d like how it’d feel to have them eat it from your hand :please: ?

I already know how it feels like. Sometimes the 🦆 need help ... ....

• Brohoof 1