Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I want to be a music artist for the brony community

Ruchiyoto

I lack of writing ideas.

If I want to start publishing my own music, I need to know what kind of music I want for my channel. I have heard of artists (e.g. Wooden Toaster, Bronydanceparty) and they make pretty decent music but I don't want my songs to sound like theirs, I want to be original and make something that people would enjoy. Right? I have a deep voice but I lack of enthusiasm, so maybe I could make punk rock or hip-hop/rap genres but I think there's something I'm missing. I'm not worried about the instruments, I'm currently going to be using Soundtrap for Education it's an app to make music on a chromebook, and I don't have money to buy nice things - but I'm not looking for that.

I'm not asking people to join my band and I'm not looking for some ideas (e.g. lyrics, theme, mood) for the songs, but I do need some advises. So how can I make music for the brony/mlp community, what do I have to do to write a decent song about something or that someone from My Little Pony?

• Brohoof 1

My only advice is starting on creating your own thing. Find open source software at first. If you still like what you are doing, and have passion for it, save up the money needed for the professional tools.

Aiming for being a Brony musician in a time when bronies are not that popular anymore might not be the best choice, and where fame might not be reachable. Being a musical composer is however a good option. You can get heard on sites like SoundCloud if you make good stuff.

If you want to know how to compose music, I have one entry in my blog dedicated for it since I was asked to help another member here.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Splashee® said:

My only advice is starting on creating your own thing. Find open source software at first. If you still like what you are doing, and have passion for it, save up the money needed for the professional tools.

Aiming for being a Brony musician in a time when bronies are not that popular anymore might not be the best choice, and where fame might not be reachable. Being a musical composer is however a good option. You can get heard on sites like SoundCloud if you make good stuff.

If you want to know how to compose music, I have one entry in my blog dedicated for it since I was asked to help another member here.

I just said that; I want to be original. :mlp_maud:

And I'm not seeking money just to buy professional tools, I prefer to go with whatever is available freely.

I do have a SoundCloud but it's a work in progress, other than that, I think I'll go with being a part-time "Brony musician" even if they aren't that popular, I don't really care about the fame or attention. I just want to make music in general. I don't care about the fact whether if bronies are unpopular or not, I mean they've always been unpopular? That doesn't matter, I just need some advises was all.

Edited by Ruchiyoto

What's stopping you then? Just do it.

You wrote a lot about what you don't want, but not much about what you want. Maybe it's time to think some more about the latter? :q

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 1

Well, if you lack experience, then there's only one way to gain it: by experimenting. Just start making music. Some of it might turn out crappy, but that's OK: that's how you learn what doesn't work. Then you try something else, until you find what works.

In the beginning, don't be afraid of taking inspiration from others. After all, that's how people learn: by mimicking what others do when they do it right. Learn how they do it, deconstruct their songs to see what elements they used and what effects does it produce in the listener. And after some time, you'll find your own way of doing it to be original.

Edited by SasQ

"Pushy?" :wacko:

Well, then maybe you don't ask for advice next time if you don't really want to hear people's advices? :q
You certainly won't get any more from me...

Edited by SasQ

Here’s an idea: what aspect of MLP do you like the most? Which character is your favorite? Why are they your favorite? These are just a few questions you might wanna consider when writing MLP lyrics.

You said you wanted them to tailored to you, so I think representing what you like or what you would’ve wanted to see in the show is a good start.

Lacking original ideas. How could anybody help you with that. Seriously. That’s one of the biggest problem any artist can have.

I’d say quit it because I want you to do the exact opposite.

I have some questions.

1. Why do you want to make MLP related music instead of just music?
  2. Why do you like Hip-Hop and Punk Rock?

(edited)
3 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

1. Why do you want to make MLP related music instead of just music?
  2. Why do you like Hip-Hop and Punk Rock?

This seems a bit irrelevant. It doesn't matter what I do, but what I am mostly capable of. 

11 hours ago, SasQ said:

"Pushy?" :wacko:

Well, then maybe you don't ask for advice next time if you don't really want to hear people's advices? :q
You certainly won't get any more from me...

If you don't want to help, I understand. You just sounded a little rude from the very beginning. So I'll just drop the bickering. @SasQ

8 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

Here’s an idea: what aspect of MLP do you like the most? Which character is your favorite? Why are they your favorite? These are just a few questions you might wanna consider when writing MLP lyrics.

I could do something like that. It's worth a try I suppose. @ExplosionMare

Edited by Ruchiyoto
  • Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Ruchiyoto said:

? That doesn't matter, I just need some advises was all.

Edited 13 hours ago by Ruchiyoto

Gaze upon my quoting skillz above! (My smartphone is not selecting correctly)

I can't say Bronies were always unpopular. In the MLP fandom, they were everything. But without FIM, I cannot say people are talking much about them/us.

As for music and songs. Unless you already know all there is to know, I don't see what is stopping you.

1 hour ago, Ruchiyoto said:

This seems a bit irrelevant. It doesn't matter what I do, but what I am mostly capable of. 

Forgive me if my questions and comments sounded mildly offensive, but I just wanted to help. Coming up with ideas are the most important thing, and the writer’s block can drive you nuts. I totally sympathize with you. I also said quit it because, like I said, I wanted you not to quit. And if you did quit, you weren’t meant to do it in the first place.

I asked those questions because answering it might give you the basis of fresh new ideas. Besides, it was you who said that you wanted to come up with ‘MLP music’ ideas, so answering it can help coming up with them, not just general music because specifying the issue helps. You also mentioned Hip hop and Punk. Heck, if those didn’t matter then there was no reason for you to say them in the first place. I thought that those genres were what you’re most familiar with and what you are most interested in, so the reason why you like those genres could help you writing new material. You said you need to decide what kind of music you would make for your channel, so I thought maybe you can go with punk and Hip-hop music? (or not. whatever you like is what I’d say.) And the reason why you like those genres could help you coming up with ideas.

Whatever you are capable of, the problem which you said is that you can’t come up with new writing ideas and you lack enthusiasm. So a little reminder of your passion for certain types of music and your passion for certain fandom could spark your enthusiasm to create and contribute to those things.

I can’t just wish you good luck with your deep voice with a lack of enthusiasm and Soundtrap. And that’s not even scratching the surface of what you are capable of. Please tell me what you are capable of in more detail. I want to help. If you don’t want help from me, that’s fine. I won’t take offense from that.

19 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Lets be civilized ponies and calmly look at the mistakes we made and say our sorries and start again.

What "mistakes"? Dude said he needed advices. He got advices. He didn't like what he heard and went all passive aggressive, implying bad intentions in others. He got called out on it. Then he got even more advices from other people and guess what: he trampled over them too :q  That's why I said he won't get any more advices at least from me; not with that attitude.

Then you came in, playing knight in shining armour to sprinkle some virtue signalling, putting us both side by side as if we were both equally guilty? Come on! If you see anything uncivilized in any of my posts, kindly point it out instead of all that diffusion of guilt and high-horsed moralistic tone. You can address me directly and we can talk about it, as grown-ups do.

19 hours ago, Kujamih said:

you guys are supposed to be bronies

And bronies are supposed to do what, exactly? (beside of being a fan of the show)
Putting on fake smile in every situation and pretending to be good friends with everyone even when others don't act at all friendly towards them? :q
That's not how friendship works, I'm afraid.

I think you're confusing bronies with precious snowflakes who live in their bubble of rainbows and sunshine, staying away of any possible conflict and putting a fake smile on their face all the time. (If that's what bronies do these days, sign me out.)  Last time I checked, the definition of a brony was "an adult fan of MLP" (which quickly had to be revised to "just a MLP fan", regarding that there's a lot non-adult fans as well who also want to call themselves bronies).

There's nothing uncivilized in the fact that people are arguing – that's how adults solve their conflicts, by telling each other what they think and figuring out solutions that satisfy both sides. Sometimes people need to hear some harsh words of truth about themselves, because that's the only way they could notice that they're doing something wrong so that they could fix it and become a better person. Heck, how many times the Mane Six argued with each other, despite being close friends? On the other hoof, when they didn't talk out their problems and were bottling them up, it usually not ended well for everyone :q

If you think that "civilized" means "never arguing", "never telling people the truth", or "always playing it nice", then I think that you missed a whole lot of friendship lessons from the show. Pretending that everything is fine and everyone is always friendly doesn't do people any good in the long run, because they start living in a bubble of fake reality where everything is peachy, so why bother changing anything? So they stop evolving, and the longer they sit in that bubble, the harder it will hit them when they face the reality (and they will face it eventually).

The OP asked for advices about making music, but his questions were very broad and general. So I gave him broad and general advices, trying to sound motivational, because he seemed to be slightly unmotivated. My advices were honest, from the bottom of my heart, and I never intended anything bad. By my judgement, they were rather polite and kind, not "rude" or "pushy". At least they don't differ from anything else I write here on these forums or elsewhere, because that's how I roll: I'm always open, direct, and straight to the point. If someone is too fragile to get that, well... that's their problem and I don't think there's anything I can do about it :q

However, now I see that the OP is acting that way towards other users as well, not just me, which tells me that I was right all along: he doesn't have problems with making music – he's got problems with himself. He wishes to make music, to be as cool as those people who do, but he doesn't quite know how to do it, and doesn't seem to be motivated enough to even try, let alone actually learning how to do it. From what I perceived from his posts, he expected people to give him everything on a silver plate, but it didn't quite played out that way, so he started grousing on people to take his frustration on them instead of realizing that he is the cause of his own problem, and the proper solution is to take those advices from people and start applying them; start making music, or learning how to do it if he doesn't know how yet. There's a lot of good advices people here gave him (not just me), and if only he applied some of them, he might have been making music already at this moment.

• Brohoof 1

As a musician of 21 years, here's my two cents:

There are many different ideas you can use when it comes to making brony music. You can make music based on specific characters or even scenes. There are so many different genres you can use. Just choose the one that appeals to you. I see you like hip-hop and punk. Hey, punk is a really nice genre that fits MLP because of how each character struggles every day to accomplish what they want. Hip-hop is also a great genre too. 

These two genres are accompanied by lyrics that tell a story of how people live through their struggles and learn to overcome them. 

The biggest pointer I can give you when it comes to lyric writing is to not be cheesy. And how do you do that you ask?

Well, there's a rule in writing that has stuck with me: "Show don't tell". Showing can really paint the picture and captivate your audience. Telling on the other hand is what makes things cheesy because you're not really describing the scene. Also, avoid colloquial/cliche phrases, as those are considered cheesy. 

Finally, it is really good to have a basic knowledge of music theory: how to create solid chord progressions and how to connect your melodies and harmonies. 

There is so much more I could tell you. If you want to know more, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help! :D

16 hours ago, SasQ said:

What "mistakes"? Dude said he needed advices. He got advices. He didn't like what he heard and went all passive aggressive, implying bad intentions in others. He got called out on it. Then he got even more advices from other people and guess what: he trampled over them too :q  That's why I said he won't get any more advices at least from me; not with that attitude.

Then you came in, playing knight in shining armour to sprinkle some virtue signalling, putting us both side by side as if we were both equally guilty? Come on! If you see anything uncivilized in any of my posts, kindly point it out instead of all that diffusion of guilt and high-horsed moralistic tone. You can address me directly and we can talk about it, as grown-ups do.

And bronies are supposed to do what, exactly? (beside of being a fan of the show)
Putting on fake smile in every situation and pretending to be good friends with everyone even when others don't act at all friendly towards them? :q
That's not how friendship works, I'm afraid.

I think you're confusing bronies with precious snowflakes who live in their bubble of rainbows and sunshine, staying away of any possible conflict and putting a fake smile on their face all the time. (If that's what bronies do these days, sign me out.)  Last time I checked, the definition of a brony was "an adult fan of MLP" (which quickly had to be revised to "just a MLP fan", regarding that there's a lot non-adult fans as well who also want to call themselves bronies).

There's nothing uncivilized in the fact that people are arguing – that's how adults solve their conflicts, by telling each other what they think and figuring out solutions that satisfy both sides. Sometimes people need to hear some harsh words of truth about themselves, because that's the only way they could notice that they're doing something wrong so that they could fix it and become a better person. Heck, how many times the Mane Six argued with each other, despite being close friends? On the other hoof, when they didn't talk out their problems and were bottling them up, it usually not ended well for everyone :q

If you think that "civilized" means "never arguing", "never telling people the truth", or "always playing it nice", then I think that you missed a whole lot of friendship lessons from the show. Pretending that everything is fine and everyone is always friendly doesn't do people any good in the long run, because they start living in a bubble of fake reality where everything is peachy, so why bother changing anything? So they stop evolving, and the longer they sit in that bubble, the harder it will hit them when they face the reality (and they will face it eventually).

The OP asked for advices about making music, but his questions were very broad and general. So I gave him broad and general advices, trying to sound motivational, because he seemed to be slightly unmotivated. My advices were honest, from the bottom of my heart, and I never intended anything bad. By my judgement, they were rather polite and kind, not "rude" or "pushy". At least they don't differ from anything else I write here on these forums or elsewhere, because that's how I roll: I'm always open, direct, and straight to the point. If someone is too fragile to get that, well... that's their problem and I don't think there's anything I can do about it :q

However, now I see that the OP is acting that way towards other users as well, not just me, which tells me that I was right all along: he doesn't have problems with making music – he's got problems with himself. He wishes to make music, to be as cool as those people who do, but he doesn't quite know how to do it, and doesn't seem to be motivated enough to even try, let alone actually learning how to do it. From what I perceived from his posts, he expected people to give him everything on a silver plate, but it didn't quite played out that way, so he started grousing on people to take his frustration on them instead of realizing that he is the cause of his own problem, and the proper solution is to take those advices from people and start applying them; start making music, or learning how to do it if he doesn't know how yet. There's a lot of good advices people here gave him (not just me), and if only he applied some of them, he might have been making music already at this moment.

Yeeesh... I didn't know id piss you off that much..errr how do i explain this....i just put the "we"  so .... I don't know so everyone isn't left out? So no one is singled out (and everyone knows you didn't do anything wrong... " WE" just dont want to single him out is all...just dont tell him..her that. Sshhhh) And it looks like another misunderstanding happened:laugh:. I just wanted to point out that surely a misunderstanding happened between you two and maybe.... I don't know. Someone had a bad day and things like that. And @SasQ  i know you didn't do anything that shoulda triggered em and  i know that i shouldn't have triggered you but... My good intentions have been.. well a fail XP. So maybe that. Happened to that person..... I don't know.

Sorry for riding a donkey instead  of a white horse...

On 8/16/2020 at 6:29 PM, SasQ said:

What's stopping you then? Just do it.

You wrote a lot about what you don't want, but not much about what you want. Maybe it's time to think some more about the latter? :q

Oh i think i know now why @SasQ . i think this is what he... She meant by rude.