Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are foals eyes so beady?

Happy Heart

Looking at the Cake twins, and remembering the flashback of baby Applejack, I'm sure everypony's wondering... What's up with the beady eyes of a foal? Are their eyes not grown in or what? I've been wondering myself, and-and sometimes those rounded eyes don't even have any color yet! What's with that??? :eww:

It's because baby ponies must consume the souls of the ponies around them before they can develop larger eyes :wacko:

Jk, I actually have no idea why :muffins: I actually remember from the show though there being some contradictions in which baby characters have the beady eyes and which ones don't. Remember that episode with the baby AJ flashback of her under the table saying she wants more apple fritters? Well, in that flashback she has black beady eyes, but then in an episode a few seasons later, the one where Pinkie Pie has to keep Flurry Heart a secret from all her friends, we get to see AJ's birth certificate, and in the photo she has normal pony eyes :huh:

Speaking of Flurry Heart, why does she have big pony eyes right at birth but neither of the Cake Twins do? What's with that? :sealed:

Edited by King of Canterlot

Not sure why. Especially how long they are kept in that state, is unknown.

This is what Mario looks like as an infant:

4-40643_super-mario-clipart-baby-baby-ma

Compared to his grown up eyes, I think it might be a style choice. But who came up with it?

6 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

It's because baby ponies must consume the souls of the ponies around them before they can develop larger eyes :wacko:

Jk, I actually have no idea why :muffins: I actually remember from the show though there being some contradictions in which baby characters have the beady eyes and which ones don't. Remember that episode with the baby AJ flashback of her under the table saying she wants more apple fritters? Well, in that flashback she has black beady eyes, but then in an episode a few seasons later, the one where Pinkie Pie has to keep Flurry Heart a secret from all her friends, we get to see AJ's birth certificate, and in the photo she has normal pony eyes :huh:

Speaking of Flurry Heart, why does she have big pony eyes right at birth but neither of the Cake Twins do? What's with that? :sealed:

You got to remember at the time when the Baby Cakes were introduced in Season 2 back in 2011, the eyes were Beatty because that's how the baby characters were designed at the time. A few years later in Season 5 and 6 within the years 2015/2016 they decided to have it so newborn babies like Flurry Heart have more detailed eyes.

To sum it up in just a few words it's an artistic choice. And in my opinion, it is not really worth making a big fuss over

17 minutes ago, Splashee® said:

Compared to his grown up eyes, I think it might be a style choice. But who came up with it?

I don't know whose idea it is to go with detailed eyes but that's exactly what it is: an artistic choice by the people in charge at the time of 2015.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Will Guide said:

decided to have it so newborn babies like Flurry Heart have more detailed eyes

I'm betting it was actually because of Flurry Heart (being so closely related to a main character and with how big a deal she was) that they decided to give the babies more stylized eyes in case we saw Flurry in a lot of episodes (which we did see her in quite a few I suppose) :sealed:

22 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

I'm betting it was actually because of Flurry Heart (being so closely related to a main character and with how big a deal she was) that they decided to give the babies more stylized eyes in case we saw Flurry in a lot of episodes (which we did see her in quite a few I suppose) :sealed:

It could also being due to its an Alicorn thing there.
The Alicorn foals already having those eyes there.