Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Art contest - September-October 2020

Sun Princess Celestia

17 hours ago, Mlppotterwhoovian said:

I made this but it sure looks like a medival times artist made it(not really,I know my art is poor but I thought that If I at least tried and got feedback on it then I wouldn’t regret it later. 
time was 900 years ago and a pony painted this with her own hooves!

03F2A443-E61E-4DE1-AD73-69D2CAD7D76F.jpeg

This was when discord was discord right? This is legit!

10 hours ago, flurry said:

604668205_flashsentry2.thumb.png.891041860ce98c91fcb63cdbd02b5569.png

Flash sentry in samurai inspired clothing

3 hours ago, Kujamih said:

A distant relative of @Samurai Equine

Cultural appropriation?! :mellow: My armor is clearly superior.

Spoiler

J/K. :-P It's a good art! As a tip, a piece of constructive criticism, not all helmets cling to the skill like a do-rag. Let the design float away from the skull, and give yourself some space to work with. Don't be afraid to make the helmet bigger than the head of the person (or pony) wearing it. Usually, helmets are like that anyways.

2 hours ago, Samurai Equine said:

Cultural appropriation?! :mellow: My armor is clearly superior.

Reveal hidden contents

J/K. :-P It's a good art! As a tip, a piece of constructive criticism, not all helmets cling to the skill like a do-rag. Let the design float away from the skull, and give yourself some space to work with. Don't be afraid to make the helmet bigger than the head of the person (or pony) wearing it. Usually, helmets are like that anyways.

Yeah maybe a little bigger and less clingy would work nicer.

I didn't wanna make it too big looking though as it is a samurai helmet of a certain sort which is slightly less bulky but it is true that the rim of the hat could be a bit more expanded ya  maybe widen out more :3 that would still fit around the head nicely and have a bit more room. It is a lil hard to empathise that side view haha ( I guess id have to end up covering the ears too for width) but yes this is my first time drawing such armour haha so I did end up putting in some similarities to his original armour lol which was a little more tight  :Thorax: thanks for the tips

Edited by flurry
  • Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, flurry said:

Yeah maybe a little bigger and less clingy would work nicer.

I didn't wanna make it too big looking though as it is a samurai helmet of a certain sort which is slightly less bulky but it is true that the rim of the hat could be a bit more expanded ya  maybe widen out more :3 that would still fit around the head nicely and have a bit more room. It is a lil hard to empathise that side view haha ( I guess id have to end up covering the ears too for width) but yes this is my first time drawing such armour haha so I did end up putting in some similarities to his original armour lol which was a little more tight  :Thorax: thanks for the tips

No problem. :BrightMacContent: Helmets can be a tricky thing to draw. The brim of the helmet does cling a little tighter to the head, but the hat of the helmet and everything else can be bigger and bulkier.
For the helmet of my OC, I pretty much copied the helmets I saw from the armored guards in Mistmane's village (from the episode Campfire Tales). However, I didn't want it to look extremely Chinese; so I threw in some more Japanese elements to balance it out and bring in that Samurai aesthetic I was looking for. But even when I was studying the screen caps, mapping out base bodies to see how it worked, I noticed that the helmet is actually rather big compared to the heads of the ponies wearing them. Part of it is because the helmets are made out of thick material, the other part is that the artists were really going for some good-looking composition. I liked what they did and wanted to follow that example. 

Edited by Samurai Equine

23 minutes ago, Sunamena said:

Can I also make a drawing? Even though I am terrible at it? xD

this is open to everyone, how else are you gonna become great at it if you don't start somewhere?

• Brohoof 3

This seemed like a fun idea, so I decided to try my hand at making something for it - I didn't have a whole lot of ideas when it comes to outfits, but I thought Twilight in a medieval dress could work out pretty well and wouldn't be too hard so that's what I did

1601649211367.png
Haven't drawn Twilight or any ponies in clothes before so this was pretty fun to try and mess around with :derp:

• Brohoof 6

13 hours ago, Synth said:

This seemed like a fun idea, so I decided to try my hand at making something for it - I didn't have a whole lot of ideas when it comes to outfits, but I thought Twilight in a medieval dress could work out pretty well and wouldn't be too hard so that's what I did

1601649211367.png
Haven't drawn Twilight or any ponies in clothes before so this was pretty fun to try and mess around with :derp:

That’s really pretty!

On 10/4/2020 at 8:17 AM, DJSuits said:

Following. Also, this sounds like something I'm interested in. Is there a prize? If so, what?

I believe it's the Canterlot Artist rank (Art Contest Winner)

Edited by Gaines

On 10/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, Synth said:

1601649211367.png

Best style, evaaaarrr ^_^

On 10/2/2020 at 4:10 AM, Gaines said:

Why not 100 years ago?
Here are my entries :coco:

Trenderhoof

Hide contents

ct.png

Fluttershy

Hide contents

cf.png

Rarity

Hide contents

cr.png

Even though you say it's a hundred years ago....i can still see them wearing this ecen now.XD

• Brohoof 1

On 10/4/2020 at 8:17 AM, DJSuits said:

Following. Also, this sounds like something I'm interested in. Is there a prize? If so, what?

You get the name color and badge I have. I have to out-do everyone if I want to keep it. XD

• Brohoof 1