Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Art contest - September-October 2020

Sun Princess Celestia

8 minutes ago, Osoka_Topez said:

And it only has to be a pony correct? Like no griffins and sea ponies?

Nope! The description says that it can be ponies or "other mlp creatures."

1 hour ago, Kujamih said:

Good muhuhuhuhehe..  one less competition:devious:

I hate love your work:mlp_smug:.... Thats how insane your work is.

Tsk tsk, hon... you just made yourself a rivalry target. Might just give me the motivation I needed. :bedeyes:

For now, I'm calling this a work-in-progress. But I'm going to consider the characters finished. If I don't upload an updated image, please consider this my submission.

I hope to get a background done by Friday night. 

Mixed media. Dollar Tree magic markers; RoseArt colored pencils.

20201021_230552.png

11 hours ago, DJSuits said:

For now, I'm calling this a work-in-progress. But I'm going to consider the characters finished. If I don't upload an updated image, please consider this my submission.

20201021_230552.png

I like the colors and Celestia’s dress. 

17 hours ago, DJSuits said:

20201021_230552.png

Awesome dress for Celestia! :o

Been working on this for the last 3 to 4 days, mostly because of work. I'm not entirely sure it hits the subject matter, but I'm incredibly proud of it and had a lot of fun drawing it.

Inspired by 1920's outfits.

1401605428_2020SepOct-mlpcontestoutfitinlast1000yrs.thumb.png.05a385e821cf58fafdadbbd62e60f65d.png

Edited by MidnightFire1222
  • Brohoof 2

I like the 1920s look. It looks like you took your time and did a good job. 

Though, the idea is supposed to be more about 1,000 years ago instead of 100 years ago. So instead of the year 1920, they're looking for something that looks like it's from 1020. I searched, but the closest thing I could find was from the medieval period. (Specifically, I found jousting horse costumes, so that's what Celestia's outfit is based on. I also saw a knight's outfit, so that's what I based the knight pony's outfit on. I'm thinking about adding a sword.)

Here's an example of what I based my pony knight on. 

By the way, sorry if I sounded harsh in my previous message. I tend to be blunt in my honest opinion, and sometimes I come off as uncaring when I'm trying to give helpful advice. 

20201022_222501.jpg

Edited by DJSuits
Changed attached image

On 9/4/2020 at 5:27 AM, flurry said:

Hmm what kinda stuff will count as 1000 years ago clothes

Does it have to be western clothes

Is there also any canon MLP clothes that has been introduced as historical?

In addition to the things said before, there's also a short clip in an episode where the mane 6 are in the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters. There's a hall of suits of armor, and there are several paintings hung on a wall. (I downloaded the image from the MLP wiki site.)

castle 4.png

• Brohoof 1

36 minutes ago, DJSuits said:

Though, the idea is supposed to be more about 1,000 years ago instead of 100 years ago. So instead of the year 1920, they're looking for something that looks like it's from 1020.

In this scenario, "1,000 years ago" is more generic terminology for a vintage look. We're not looking for a specific time period to be represented here. I expect every entry will have their own interpretation of that, so there's no need to assume that all pieces will look the same.

Variety is the spice of life! :D

• Brohoof 1

They have a mix of modern things as well, considering some of the places they've been: Las Pegasus has an indoor roller coaster, Manehattan has skyscrapers - modern ones, Ponyville has a bowling alley, Vinyl Scratch (DJ-Pon3) has used headphones, and let's not forget her mobile stereo system from the Slice of Life episode, and the fact she used similar modern speakers in the Canterlot wedding, Pinkie used a flashlight before, and these are just the examples I could think of.

Above all, we have to remember that it's a fantasy world, where modern and medieval things collide and combine from myth, legend, and the like. Art is open for interpretation, and that's why they say 'art is subjective'.

Either way, I can't wait for any other submissions that come, and can't wait to see who the winners will be.

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, MidnightFire1222 said:

Been working on this for the last 3 to 4 days, mostly because of work. I'm not entirely sure it hits the subject matter, but I'm incredibly proud of it and had a lot of fun drawing it.

Inspired by 1920's outfits.

1401605428_2020SepOct-mlpcontestoutfitinlast1000yrs.thumb.png.05a385e821cf58fafdadbbd62e60f65d.png

That looks really nice! They both look really good in their outfits.

• Brohoof 2