Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Discussion

Will Guide

Just when I thought Super Mario 35 anniversary news was going to be the high point of good news in 2020, this was announced earlier today.

I am very excited about this game but what are your guys thoughts on it?

I don't really care much for the Warriors series but this one had the Zelda team working closely with it and that means it will be more like an actual prequel told through the Warriors format and closer to the actual Breath of the Wild game more than a novelty game.

I'm interested. Mostly for the lore, I'm not very good at videogames :<

Unexpected, but welcomed surprise. I’m not seeing as much content as the original Warriors Deluxe, but that may be a good thing. The last game’s content was pretty overwhelming. Still, I’m excited what they’ll add, and things that foreshadows BOTW2. 
I hope they keep the different language options. I’d like to hear Mexican horses again :mlp_icwudt:

Zelda's own REACH. The period before the Great Calamity was one of the game's more interesting aspects and I love that they're expanding it. Also I loved Hyrule Warriors so more of it is definitely welcome

12 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Unexpected, but welcomed surprise. I’m not seeing as much content as the original Warriors Deluxe, but that may be a good thing. The last game’s content was pretty overwhelming. Still, I’m excited what they’ll add, and things that foreshadows BOTW2. 
I hope they keep the different language options. I’d like to hear Mexican horses again :mlp_icwudt:

I think this version will have much of its focus on the story

2 hours ago, Megas said:

I think this version will have much of its focus on the story

Probably, but I don’t put past them in adding non canon DLCs and stuff. Both Hurule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors added plenty of characters in DLC. But sure, I’d love to see a glimpse of BOTW Hyrule before the calamity. Maybe we’ll see Link’s father and sister who were cut from BOTW :mlp_icwudt: 

I've tried a Warriors game before and while it should be a lot of fun for me, I had trouble really getting into it. Nevertheless, this game does look a lot more interesting than any Warriors game I have seen previously and it does have me excited. I would like to play it someday. I never did play the original Hyrule Warriors, for the reasons I stated before, but this one is a lot more focused on story instead of general Zelda stuff all thrown together for fanservice.

26 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

I still need to play the FIRST Hyrule Warriors, but this one appeals to me WAY MORE.

BECAUSE REVALI!! Eeeeeeeee!! :pinkie:

Yeah, Revali is my favorite out of the champions. Behind his egotism and arrogance lies great talent and skills and a hidden heart of gold

5 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Yeah, Revali is my favorite out of the champions. Behind his egotism and arrogance lies hidden talent and skills

Pssh, not even hidden talent. Everyone should be able to tell he’s a bad@$$.

Hidden heart of gold though? Perhaps. X3

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Pssh, not even hidden talent. Everyone should be able to tell he’s a bad@$$.

Hidden heart of gold though? Perhaps. X3

I should have worded that better. Let me fix that

Either way, I like Links entry about him in this comic 00:54-1:18:

21 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

I still need to play the FIRST Hyrule Warriors, but this one appeals to me WAY MORE.

BECAUSE REVALI!! Eeeeeeeee!! :pinkie:

Of course it would, HW is in the end, a fan service heavy celebration to the franchise. It got plenty of content total, and for free if you get the Switch version. But Agenof Calamity will definitely expand the lore. 

This pleasantly surprised me. I played a lot of the Definitive Edition, but they have so many new opportunities with this version. I guess it also means that the Breath of the Wild art style has expanded into its own series. Kind of like how Wind Waker did.

Edited by Cash In

Just now, Cash In said:

This pleasantly surprised me. I played a lot of the Definitive Edition, but they have so many new opportunities with this version. I guess it also means that the Breath of the Wild style has expanded into its own series. Kind of like how Wind Waker did.

You mean with Toon Link? That's more art style-wise than gameplay style

Just now, Will Guide said:

You mean with Toon Link? That's more art style-wise than gameplay style

Oh, that was more so what I meant. 

I really hope that Breath of the Wild isn't the game that every Zelda game for the next 20 years is going to be based off of in some way. BOTW was one of the most boring and uninteresting gaming experiences I've had in my life. Now it seems like Nintendo is going to milk that game for all it is worth. I am a huge fan of the Warriors series and Hyrule Warriors was quite fun, but why does this one specifically have to be a prequel to BOTW? That alone makes it far less interesting to me as it most likely will be limited to BOTW's world and characters, none of which I enjoyed in the slightest. For those that loved BOTW which seems to be most people, then I am happy for you, but for me this simply is another thing I will ignore. 

Not a fan of the English dub with that pseudo British accent, and no way in hell I’m switching to Japanese either. I’m a proud dub over subs heretic >_>. Better not take away the Latin American dub. Lots of legit dub vets. I know, I’ve heard them since I was a kid :mlp_icwudt:. and most of them being Mexican horses is an immense plus :yay:

IMG_20200917_201444.thumb.jpg.c9fe8fe02db73694eeda83b219f754c5.jpg

This book that was written a while ago. It talks in more detail about the backstory leading up to Present Day in Breath of the Wild. Such as map that show the movements of the characters at key moments such as right after Calamity Cannon came out from under the castle (Revali flying straight to his Divine Beast while the others had to take a winding path back to theirs), or how far the Possessed Guardians have spread across the land and force people to retrieve to Hanteo 

The book doesn't go into too much detail though so it'd be interesting to see how accurate the Age of Calamity game will be reflecting the words of this book and add on to it.

• 1 month later...

A link to the playlist of Age of Calamity videos released on Nintendo's YouTube channel

Also a demo has been added to Nintendo eShop. With what's shown so far, I'm impressed. Have any of you guys tried the demo?

• 4 weeks later...

Damn, my order arrives within the first days of December :unamused: (that’s what I get for being a cheapskate, and save a couple of bucks by requesting a later delivery :dash:). I have to survive dodging spoilers for the rest of the month :-D

Well I do have something to say about the battlefields but I'll put it in a spoiler just to be safe:

Spoiler

As I look forward through the battlefields I actually kept going back and forth between this game and Breath of the Wild to see just how close they were to each other in terms of the environmental setting that was already established. 

The very first Battle field taking place in Hyrule Field just outside the castle town gate stretches all the way to where the central tower appears in the southwestern part of the battlefield and it's even possible to go over to the Ranch where just as predicted from exploring the ruins in breath of the wild it's actually pretty close to the layout of Lon Lon ranch from Ocarina of Time. With a few newer buildings too sent this took place before the great calamity.

I have to say it was one thing to read the details about what happened in the past through the Breath of the Wild Creating a Champion book. But it's quite an interesting experience to see the many places before they fell to ruins