Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science Possible life in the clouds of Venus

Props Valroa

I think that there is a possibility of the phosphine coming from some form of life in the clouds of Venus, but I also think there is a possibility of the phosphine coming from some other source. Currently, I am skeptical of the theory that phosphine on Venus is a result of some form of life producing it, mainly because of the fact that correlation does not equal causation, or in other words, because the correlation between life and the production of phosphine does not equate to life being the cause of the production of phosphine.

2 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

I think that there is a possibility of the phosphine coming from some form of life in the clouds of Venus, but I also think there is a possibility of the phosphine coming from some other source. Currently, I am skeptical of the theory that phosphine on Venus is a result of some form of life producing it, mainly because of the fact that correlation does not equal causation, or in other words, because the correlation between life and the production of phosphine does not equate to life being the cause of the production of phosphine.

Who knows, although I like to believe that there is life on Venus.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Splashee® said:

Too hot to have any life there. Impossible for life to exist.

On the surface probably, but not in the clouds. In the clouds at a higher altitude it is 30 degrees Celsius, around there.

• Brohoof 1

I doubt it for a few reasons. While there are mocroorganisms found in the earth's atmosphere and there are some that could theoretically survive in the clouds off of the water, dust, and various particles all stirred up, it's yet to be proven. Currently most microorganisms that can be found originate on the earth's surface and get carried up by the wind. This doesn't work in the case of Venus, as has been mentioned, it's surface isn't habitable.

I still think it's more likely that there was life on Venus in the distant past that was wiped out by brutal climate change. But, nonetheless, this is an interesting development. Microscopic extremophiles do exist on earth in hostile conditions that have scientists baffled, so traces of life could still exist. The chance of finding them is miniscule, but it's not completely out of the question. These organisms would just be bizarre by Earth standards if they did manage to adapt and survive. 

as astronomers've proved a hundred times over, life on other planets of our solar system's IMPOSSIBLE.

all more, i don't take into account that Venus's the second planet closest to the Sun. life's not possible there. even in the clouds. most likely this's just another smeared than true ...

8 hours ago, corvette said:

as astronomers've proved a hundred times over, life on other planets of our solar system's IMPOSSIBLE.

all more, i don't take into account that Venus's the second planet closest to the Sun. life's not possible there. even in the clouds. most likely this's just another smeared than true ...

What makes you say that?

I have no idea if there's life but I've never heard anybody[edit: any SCIENTIST] say impossible.

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 2

18 hours ago, Splashee® said:

Too hot to have any life there. Impossible for life to exist.

Except the clouds are not as hot. As a matter of fact, 26°C is viable for microbiological thriving. 

And the lack of oxygen doesn't stop anaerobic lifeforms from surviving. There's a bunch of microorganisms floating around at all times on earth, it could be possible for them to survive on venus' clouds as long as their pH is not extreme.

10 hours ago, corvette said:

Not quite true. Astronomers say they can't know for sure. And they are investigating the composition from distant planets on other solar systems and some moons on our solar system. Some look like they could be in the habitable zone of their respective systems, and as for the moons, they seem to have a good composition for microbiologic thriving.

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/resources/1063/nasas-kepler-discovers-first-earth-size-planet-in-the-habitable-zone/

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/6/eaaw7123

They haven't proved it to be impossible. They have been trying to find places that can support life, and it seems there are several candidates.

Edited by Jesse Terrence
  • Brohoof 4

I'm in favor of any project which increases basic sciences towards the inner planets and Venus in particular, due to the interesting challenges it presents for exploration.

One project in this regard that I've been keeping an ear out for is AREE - which is essentially a steampunker's ultimate fantasy come true. AREE (rover unnamed) will be a purely mechanical, possibly clockwork automaton, designed to explore Venus's surface. Since wholly metal and ceramic machines are immune to much broader ranges of temperatures, radiations and pressures than transistor electronics, the project portends to have a great deal of usefulness for exploring literally everywhere else in the Solar System: the sun-facing side of Mercury, Io, beneath Europa's oceans, even inside radioactively contaminated earth structures. [1]

However to study Venus's gasses, they will need to develop an atmospheric system, most probably some kind of balloon. Either way, I am for it.

• Brohoof 1

On 9/14/2020 at 10:51 PM, Scar said:

On the surface probably, but not in the clouds. In the clouds at a higher altitude it is 30 degrees Celsius, around there.

If it is true, then the whole life in the universe question would be simply answered: Look to your neighbor planet :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Splashee® said:

If it is true, then the whole life in the universe question would be simply answered: Look to your neighbor planet :mlp_icwudt:

Life, and things in general have a way of being unexpected.

• Brohoof 1

On 9/15/2020 at 4:56 PM, Splashee® said:

Well it is true.At the surface its pressure may be intense, but at some point that transitions to the cold vacuum of space, which means there's a zone somewhere inbetween that's comparable to Earth.

However, whatever you're planning to use to explore there better be resilient to sulfuric acid: nickel, titanium and austentitic stainless steels; teflon, KEL-F and other flouropolymers. No surprises there, basically means the craft must be about as hardened as it would be if it were to be in an elevated radiation environment. But descending to altitudes below a certain point would spell doom.

NASA has also done studies for blimp-based exploration (including manned operations (!)). However, middair-inflatable interplanetary blimps is an as-yet unexplored field of engineering, so this is definitely not in the cards for programs within the next decade or two. [HAVOC]

• Brohoof 1

We’ve got simple beings living in some rather extreme conditions :wacko: . They’re called archae-bacteria. Who’s to say stronger versions of it don’t exist in those clouds :o ?

• Brohoof 1

have you heard of the Mars meteorite that could possibly have fossilized microscopic worms or some kind of life forms?

PSR Discoveries: Crystal structures or fossils in martian meteorite?Martian fossil? This microscopic shape was discovered within Martian  meteorite ALH84001, with the debate still on over whe… | Super earth, Life  on mars, The martian

It's been studied for 20 years now and there's still no conclusive answer on what they are. 

I believe that there's life aside from us, It would be too egocentric to think we are so special. But who knows where or how far away. 

Also, in a very funny joke of the universe and extremely good/bad luck we could actually be the first ones in the universe. 

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ittoni said:

have you heard of the Mars meteorite that could possibly have fossilized microscopic worms or some kind of life forms?

PSR Discoveries: Crystal structures or fossils in martian meteorite?Martian fossil? This microscopic shape was discovered within Martian  meteorite ALH84001, with the debate still on over whe… | Super earth, Life  on mars, The martian

It's been studied for 20 years now and there's still no conclusive answer on what they are. 

I believe that there's life aside from us, It would be too egocentric to think we are so special. But who knows where or how far away. 

Also, in a very funny joke of the universe and extremely good/bad luck we could actually be the first ones in the universe. 

I don't think we are the first and only. We are amongst trillions of species out there in the stars in my belief. We just haven't looked beyond our narrow quarter. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...