Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Nintendo ends 3DS production

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

I am honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner considering that the Switch has been dominating everything but this is a sad day for me. Nintendo has officially ended production on 3DS units. The 3DS is one of my favorite systems of all time and I have wonderful memories with that little unit. 

Did any of you own a 3DS or 2DS as well? If so, what was your first system in the lineup? What was some of your favorite aspects of the system? Favorite games? Let's discuss good memories of the 3DS system.

This was my first 3DS, the XL. 

585ea26acb11b227491c3509.png

I remember it so vividly. It was summer of 2013. Animal Crossing New Leaf had just launched. I wanted to play it so badly but I never owned a 3DS. So I find a great deal on a used unit and I sold my Vita to get it. In the end I am very glad that I did. The next day I downloaded New Leaf and I adored it. I would ocntinue to get more games after that of course

Possibly my favorite overall aspect of the system was the UI. For my money, Nintendo has always been the master of making wonder UI's for their systems, starting with the Wii. The 3DS was certainly no different in this regard. The UI is pleasant to look at and has wonderful, relaxing music to accompany it. It is very clean and organized perfectly. That's not even considering the countless themes they made for the UI! Those were a wonderful addition as well. Another great part of the UI was the eShop. The eShop has been my favorite storefront in gaming for a while and that's simply because of the charm and the wonderful music. Hearing one particular track now floods my mind with memories. The Nintendo DS compatibility was also very nice to have. 

Some of my favorite games:

Animal Crossing New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Retro City Rampage, Ocarina of Time 3D, and countless Virtual Console games. 

• Brohoof 2

Animal Crossing New Leaf was definitely made for a portable system like the 3DS. Because if it's portability I was able to take it to college so early in the morning and catch rare bugs and fishes that I normally would miss if it was a console I had to play at home.

I still have my 3DS XL and rechargable cable. The majority of my games are saved onto my system. I don't play it enough and I do the switch but it's still there whenever I like to play the games for it

I actually own three 3DS consoles, one is a New 3DS (With C Stick), and the others were the older models. Playing on the 3DS has since been taken over by my Switch.

I own the original 3DS model. it's just that I exchanged my original DS model for the 3DS model since the top screen of my original DS just came off and stopped functioning and touch screen controls were inaccurate, but due to my decision like this, it got my parents mad about it without telling them after i saved up a lot of money for it. Not much of a favorite games, but i tell you that the games were great esp mario, pokemon, yo-kai watch, animal crossing, legend of zelda including hyrule warriors, and super smash bros 3DS. The positive side is that the control stick can make some DS games much easier to control like super mario 64 DS since you have to use D-Pad move, but the control stick can make it easier to move rather than using the D-Pad.

Never felt compelled to buy a 3DS. Honestly, I just couldn't find a single game on it that actually made me want to spent that much cash.

Unlike the DS which had the few last metroidvanias, 3DS just didn't feel interesting enough for me. Not even Persona Q made me feel like it was worth it. Even the Vita felt a bit more interesting, but Sony killed it and I couldn't bother on it either xD

I'm actually feeling buying the switch was a mistake. I could have bought several games on the xb1 or the ps4 with the money I wasted on the switch. And boy, there are several amazing games I haven't been able to afford due that xD

While is sad to see a console die, I guess we all knew this was about to happen when the switch was announced.

Edited by Jesse Terrence
  • Brohoof 1

I used to play the Pokemon games nonstop to build my competitive Pokemon teams on there. The 3DS was awesome and it's still awesome to this day. The console production may have ended, but it doesn't mean we can stop playing them. Heck, I still play Pokemon Crystal on the console to this day.

• Brohoof 1

Recently rebought it because I figured it was on its way out and decided to hop back on. There’s a really great library here. Tons of great remakes of classic Nintendo games as well as brand new ones, Fire Emblem exploding in popularity. Lots of great hidden gems, tons of JRPG love, one of my favorite ways to play MGS3 to boot

• Brohoof 3

So it ends up going out without a final blaze of glory? A shame really as it turned out to be a very good handheld despite the poor start way back when.

What makes a good console? A Console that is handheld and can play all your favorite games, with long battery time?

I look at Nintendo DS because it is the last 2D console (not just handheld, but a true 2D console). Now, 3DS only emulated the 2D, but with the 3DS gone, I guess there won't be any more Nintendo DS consoles in the future?

• Brohoof 2

16 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

So does this mean the DS WiFi will go away, too?

I don't know, but I do know that any of the original DS games that uses the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection (this symbol)

500px-Nintendo_Wi-Fi_Connection_logo_svg.png.f65d1da76be6fc5ff45174bbaadcdd9a.png

Was shut down in 2014. But it's not Nintendo's fault. According to Custom Mario Kart Wiki:

Nintendo discontinued the service on May 20, 2014, primarily because the host of the service, GameSpy, was shutting down its servers. Nintendo WFC was required for online play, but the Wiimmfi Project has replicated much of its functionality and allows for continued online play in Mario Kart Wii and other games.

However even though that particular Nintendo Wi-Fi server went down the Wi-Fi that connect the Nintendo eShop in Wii U, The 3DS family, and Nintendo Switch still runs

• Brohoof 2

I had the original 3DS and got mine the day it was released. Unfortunately some stupid jerk stole it along with my Pokemon X. 

I now have a New 3DS XL. I can't believe they are stopping the production. I hope there's something more coming for the DS lineup...

The 3DS had a great run. StreetPass was a cool feature and I liked all the neat stuff you could waste time on. I mostly played Pokémon and Animal Crossing, but the system as a whole had a seriously good library.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 2

I've had a 3DS for three years, and while I prefer the Switch, I've had a blast playing Pokemon (both the 3DS games and the Virtual Console downloads of the early-gen games), the newest Ace Attorney games, and Corpse Party (don't judge me) on it. Never been a fan of the 3D feature, but I do feel the console is going to age better than the original DS. 

I'm starting to think that what's concerning are the pokemon fans and players not getting their 3DS systems if they don't own or buy the system before the discontinuation starts when it comes to having extra and/or hard-to-find pokemon unless a person that has a 3DS has to provide them as needed.

The Nintendo 3DS was an excellent system. Quite exceptional for Nintendo in the post Gamecube-era, where they have been pretty weak. I'll never forget the E3 where the 3DS was announced and the huge amount of games that were revealed on that day. I had seriously not been more excited for a system in a long time before that, and I have not been anywhere near as excited for any system since. Especially since nowadays Nintendo doesn't reveal a bunch of games anymore, but keeps you guessing all of the time.

Sure, not all of those games turned out to be good (looking at you, Paper Mario Sticker Star), but the 3DS was still home to many excellent games. Animal Crossing New Leaf, for example, was a great come back for the AC series after City Folk was so incredibly lazily scrapped together. Also, I, for one, enjoyed the Gen VI Pokemon games a whole lot.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Splashee® said:

And I still want to play New Super Mario Bros. 2, oh noes!

Aren't all New Super Mario Bros games pretty much the same thing, though?

I have fun with the first one back on the DS, but when I tried the Wii one and later the Wii U one (which came bundled with my Wii U) they were a slogfest.

Wow, almost 10 years in production. Strange considering 6-7 years ago, the 3DS was the most popular thing around. Everybody had one. It's gonna be missed by many gamers, especially now since video gaming is preparing to enter the new generation, one without the CD or card slot.