Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted Twighlight Animation Test (lip sync)

Melvelvin

Howdy! I put together a rough little animation test, I wanna get some eyeballs other than  my own on this rig I made, see if it's actually any good. Specifically, I want to avoid the uncanny valley - no-one's seen this rigs until like last week and I'm worried I might have lost perspective.

https://youtu.be/i70QVv8Wtjc

Be as harsh as you like, I'm a professional VFX animator by day so I take blunt critiques for a living. I'll make a list of known issues here so folks can avoid repeating stuff

• It's rendered in eevee, not cycles, so it doesn't look great overall. The shading and defocus specifically are pretty whack
  • The lip sync is rough, she's kind of mouthing in places and I haven't properly sold a number of the phonemes.
  • Some of the acting choices are dubious, I would need to either sell that arm swing on "Always glad" way better, or cut it entirely for something more natural.
  • the cloth sim is... jank. (The original plan was to use a deform rig, but I ran out of time)
  • hair is clipping in places
  • there are still some funky deformations in the nose I have to iron out

It was fairly decent... but that vest seems to be a Freddy Mercury fan, i.e. 'it wants to break free'.  

I know nothing about the actual process of digital animation, but I know that what I saw was pretty good.