Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general How do you talk/chat with your friends?

Vefka

In what style do you talk to your friends? Polite or mean?

I wonder how many people here have different opinion on what is acceptable to say to your friend. For me, the closer a person becomes to me, the ruder I talk to them. Starting with very polite and eventually getting to the "best friends" point where I make jokes for which I would be banned here. Of course I don't mean anything of this but that's the way it works for me. Actually that's almost the only type of "best friends" I've seen irl (but idk how girls handle their friendship thought)

Edited by Vefka

Is complacent a way of talking? I only have one friend and he's a narcissist and also my boss and zodiac cancer, so I can't really say anything that is not "wow! how great! that's so interesting! what else did you do? and I'm not going to say anything remotely offensive because you're going to get offended and take it personal".

I mean, I would like to be able to make jokes or talk more freely about many things but at least it preserves the peace between us so we can keep going. Just poke from time to time with the intention of finding out how far can you go with the way you interact. asking if they feel comfortable is good too and they can know what is your style.

• Brohoof 1

I dun wanna be mean to my friends  nor do I talk polite or whatever haha 

This ain't Japan yo with the oh u called me by first name :0

okay sometimes i make weird jokes that some ppl might take offensive but not personal ya

Edited by flurry
  • Brohoof 1

My best friend were roommates twice before he graduated from college (I'm currently in my fifth year and I'll be graduating in the spring). We're so laid back, we just talk about whatever is on our mind. Our conversations can range from nerdy banter to totally random crap to deeply personal stuff and philosophical musings about the nature of life on earth. We never offend each other, we just go with the flow and somehow it works. I had always wanted that kind of chemistry in a friendship.

I'm usually not so informal around friends I'm not as close with. Except at work because I've had a ton of coworkers who share my sense of humor and aren't afraid to have fun with the job instead of just being completely formal with one another. Especially when I worked at a McDonald's... I'd like to think we kept each other sane precisely because we saved the formalities for the customers.

• Brohoof 1

I just talk to people the way I've always done and that is through a neutral stance on most things. And yet, I keep certain opinions a secret for my own survival.

• Brohoof 1

It's probably more of a guy thing to approach from the "friendly bully" angle, because guys are discouraged from showing sensitivity or friendliness. So some people end up basing their friendships on jabs and insults and jokes, but that can't be healthy, or long-lasting. So I try to be polite and nice when I talk to my friends and I expect the same. Not that you can't mess with each other or poke fun at each other and yourself, but that it's much better not to base your friendship off of that.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Olly said:

It's probably more of a guy thing to approach from the "friendly bully" angle, because guys are discouraged from showing sensitivity or friendliness

I wish I knew it 4 years ago when I met my first best female friend and tried to approach the same way I always do. Kinda fucked up in the beginning because of this. Luckily she got into it later

21 minutes ago, Olly said:

So some people end up basing their friendships on jabs and insults and jokes, but that can't be healthy, or long-lasting.

I don't about that, I have a few friends since elementary and friendly insults are like tradition between us now

I tease and joke around with my best friends more than anything. :ButtercupLaugh: Sometimes I call them names (but it's all in good fun and they have rude names they call me too :muffins:). We're just a bunch of clowns. 

I have a small group of friends that I've known since High School and still talk to in our discord server pretty much everyday. Our conversations are generally "normal" with a lot of banter.