Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Urban legends

ggg-2

(debating if this is the right section. If not, feel free to move it!) I was wondering if anyone else here was fascinated by the world of urban legends like i am, and if so, what are some of your favorites?

• Brohoof 1

Here in NYC, there's a story about a stop called 76th Street apparently located east of Euclid Avenue of the IND Fulton Street Line (today's (A) and (C) trains) in the area where Brooklyn borders Queens. This mysterious stop was apart of a planned subway extension towards eastern Queens to the city border meeting Nassau County, Long Island that never materialized. Story goes that it was only open for a month in 1948, and it was closed down by the city because the station was built by construction workers who weren't unionized and other suspicious behavior. It doesn't physically exist in real life, however, people have claimed to have seen it (the said witnesses have all passed away) and the layup area east of Euclid Avenue where (C) trains turn to go back to Manhattan has non-functional signals facing the cinderblock walls. 

Also in the area around Euclid Avenue is a place called The Hole, one of the lowest lying areas of the city. It is run down, barley just a few houses there with a few residents. The rest of it is grassland, unpaved streets and abandoned vehicles. Flooding is a normal occurrence here as it not connected to the sewer system (there was an attempt back in 2004 to connect the area with the rest of the city, but it never succeeded). The Hole has a notorious history for being a mafia dumping ground, and it's stated that there are numerous murders that took place in The Hole that were never solved. 

Edited by TransitPony
  • Brohoof 1

Well here in Mass there is quite a bit of urban legends. But my two favorites would have to be The Bridgewater Triangle and Pukwudgies. I did get some of the descriptions from wikipedia since I figure they can describe it better then I can.

The Bridgewater Triangle - is an area of about 200 square miles within southeastern Massachusetts in the United States claimed to be a site of alleged paranormal phenomena, ranging from UFOs to poltergeists, orbs, balls of fire and other spectral phenomena, various bigfoot-like sightings, giant snakes and "thunderbirds."

Pukwudgies - And no pukwudgies are nowhere as cute look as they are on the show. In fact they are quite dangerous as they like to lure people with lights that often cause them to plummet to their death.

According to legend, Pukwudgies can appear and disappear at will, lure people to their deaths, use magic, launch poison arrows, and create fire.[2]

Native Americans believed that Pukwudgies were once friendly to humans, but then turned against them, and are best left alone. According to lore, a person who annoyed a Pukwudgie would be subject to nasty tricks by it, or subject to being followed by the Pukwudgie, who would cause trouble for them. They are known to kidnap people, push them off cliffs, attack their victims with short knives and spears, and to use sand to blind their victims.

Edited by AriaTheLovely
  • Brohoof 1