Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Microsoft buys Bethesda.

CastletonSnob

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/microsoft-purchases-bethesda-softworks-in-industry-changing-acquisition/

Major game franchises like Doom, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, and more will soon be Microsoft properties. That's because the Xbox and Windows maker announced Monday morning it is buying the corporate parent of Bethesda Softworks, ZeniMax Media.

"Like us, Bethesda are passionate believers in building a diverse array of creative experiences, in exploring new game franchises, and in telling stories in bold ways," Microsoft wrote in its announcement. "All of their great work will of course continue and grow and we look forward to empowering them with the resources and support of Microsoft to scale their creative visions to more players in new ways for you."

Microsoft bought ZeniMax for $7.5 BILLION. To put that in perspective, that's $.5 billion less than what Disney paid for to buy Marvel and Lucasfilm COMBINED.

I truly hope that these games won’t be exclusive to just the Xbox. I am not a fan of making third party games exclusive to one platform. I don’t care who does it. However, this will be good for MS and Game Pass.

And people are already going out asking Sony and Nintendo to buy whole publishers.

Also I really hate this, and not just for the above. I was already hating Microsoft going out buying studios, but buying an entire publisher is just Disney levels of monopoly bullshit

• Brohoof 1

My friend just told me about this. It now makes sense why the online store is basically unresponsive at the moment :ButtercupLaugh:

On 9/21/2020 at 5:28 PM, EpicEnergy said:

I think this is a good thing, Bethesda is too absorbed into microtransactions to be able to make good games without paywalls.

I don't know Comrade, will Microsoft really do anything to stop Bethesda from using microtransactions in games? Especially if they make a lot of money doing it? I'm just going to assume that they probably won't. 

As for the buyout itself, I'm not sure about it. I'm not sure that having even more mega consolidation of large companies is necessarily a good thing for a number of reasons. :worry:  

1 hour ago, King of Canterlot said:

I don't know Comrade, will Microsoft really do anything to stop Bethesda from using microtransactions in games? Especially if they make a lot of money doing it? I'm just going to assume that they probably won't.

I know Microsoft won't stop Bethesda from using all microtransactions, but I'm hoping that the change will stop them from using certain transactions in their games like literally locking parts of a map behind a paywall.

• Brohoof 2

I like Microsoft. I just don't like when hand crafted studios if the past gets swallowed by more than one company.

See, Bethesda might have agreed to take good care of id Software and their brands, but after Microsoft gets ownership, anything can change.

4 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

I know Microsoft won't stop Bethesda from using all microtransactions, but I'm hoping that the change will stop them from using certain transactions in their games like literally locking parts of a map behind a paywall.

Well, that would be nice, but who knows how much day-to-day oversight Microsoft will really have with Bethesda. That's why I'm thinking Microsoft will still left them do a lot of what they're doing now because unless Microsoft forces them to have new management or something at Bethesda, I can see them going down the same path that EA went down with their games.

• Brohoof 1