Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else here hate Celestia?

Anthony4Leaf

5 hours ago, Anthony4Leaf said:

In the newer episodes, she’s just annoying to me since she acts like an overly exited toddler

Oh man yeah, I can't believe they wanted to make Celestia a fun character, how dare they. There were plenty of issues with Celestia worth discussing but this ain't one of them

Personally I really dislike how they really neglected her throughout the entire series even with the episodes they bothered giving her, it was really obvious the writers had huge favoritism towards Luna

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely. I really liked her as a wise almost demigod in the first two seasons, but then everything went down the drain when this "tests" for Twilight started and she just became another adult-child that just wants to "let go" and be "herself" added to her complete incompetence, lying and manipulation. Don't believe me? Just try to se what she's doing to Twilight and where and how she's pushing her without twi having a say on the matter. I wanted for once a good example of a maternal figure. Strong, wise, determined, patient, firm, that doesn't devolve into being a copy of her daughter because "now she's hip, flawed and crazy like her". 

Nah, I don't hate Celestia. That being said, she's my least favorite of the princesses. She just seemed basic and boring for most of the show. Then, toward the end she made this complete 180 and became hyper and overly eager. I initially was fine with the show making her a bit more fun, but they went just a bit too far. I feel someplace in the middle would've worked. Along with that, it almost seemed like she just used the mane six throughout the show. Again, she's okay, but not my favorite.

• Brohoof 2

I shall resist the urge to bite OP’s head off, and instead agree with @Metemponychosis . Celestia was very poorly treated by the writers of the show and constantly used as a target for the Worf Effect.

Because why elevate other characters when you can bring an awesome character down to make others look good? :dry:

• Brohoof 2

31 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

My problem is more with the writers than the character

This right here. I really loved how they had originally wrote Celestia back in the early seasons of the show, however I really didn't care for the way she was written in the later seasons of the show. I think a lot of it had to do with the new writers not knowing how to properly write her character or how to make her properly evolve as a character. I feel like she went from a wise all-knowing leader at the start of the show to an overly hyper dumbed-down silly filly by the end of the show, something that I didn't like and I don't think her character should have evolved in that way. 

• Brohoof 3

She has been disappointing indeed. Earlier seasons for practical incompetences (but it didn’t ruin the tone of the whole show, so I’m fine with this), later seasons for her sheer immaturity and her questionable dignity and authority figure.

3 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

This right here. I really loved how they had originally wrote Celestia back in the early seasons of the show, however I really didn't care for the way she was written in the later seasons of the show. I think a lot of it had to do with the new writers not knowing how to properly write her character or how to make her properly evolve as a character. I feel like she went from a wise all-knowing leader at the start of the show to an overly hyper dumbed-down silly filly by the end of the show, something that I didn't like and I don't think her character should have evolved in that way. 

I think the writers took a misstep making her more “Relatable” and “Down-to-Earth”. It didn’t work. They shouldn’t have stripped her from her holiness in the first place.  Her trolling the Cakes with tea was the right balance.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 2

On 9/28/2020 at 8:30 PM, Metemponychosis said:

I hate more what the cartoon ended up doing with her (or not) than she herself. My problem is more with the writers than the character.

That's pretty much how I feel as well. A good idea marred by bad execution.

It just goes to show that the show can still unproductive with a basic idea even after 9 years and over 200 episodes. Makes me wonder why it even tried to claim that she had any kind of importance.

• Brohoof 1

On 9/28/2020 at 8:29 AM, Megas said:

Oh man yeah, I can't believe they wanted to make Celestia a fun character, how dare they. There were plenty of issues with Celestia worth discussing but this ain't one of them

Personally I really dislike how they really neglected her throughout the entire series even with the episodes they bothered giving her, it was really obvious the writers had huge favoritism towards Luna

Ironically even if they had "favoritism" towards Luna, they sure didn't handle Luna good either.
Especially in crisis stuff where the sisters are either sidelined or get taken out by the bad guy. 

Honestly the Royal Sisters weren't done justice here.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:53 PM, ShadOBabe said:

I shall resist the urge to bite OP’s head off, and instead agree with @Metemponychosis . Celestia was very poorly treated by the writers of the show and constantly used as a target for the Worf Effect.

Because why elevate other characters when you can bring an awesome character down to make others look good? :dry:

Luna is pretty much suffering just as much as Celestia there in terms of Worf Effect there honestly.

And its aggravating the sisters are basically just there to fall flat on their faces to make other heroes look good.

• Brohoof 1

I've always liked Celestia(at least in part because people hated her at the beginning) I always figured when she was so regal and ponies bowed to her at the beginning that they would eventually make her into a more fun character. I like to think having more personal friendships with Twilight and the gang made her more relaxed and less aloof from other ponies.

On 9/28/2020 at 7:29 AM, Megas said:

I think they were more responding to fans.

I do not hate her,  but if anything: Celestia  was highly under used.  We could have gotten more of her past and how she came to rule.   There is a lot of what they could have done sadly.   We do get to see more of what she could have been in the comics.

• Brohoof 1