Scar

How would you have re-written MLP?

(edited)
18 minutes ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

Well, it was never set in stone or explicitly stated (but then this is pony - nothing bad ever is)

It is entirely possible that the show could have gone in a different direction than Faust planned after she left the show - but given its over now....

Faust had little involvement in season 2 and nothing after that - she never touched anything that discussed Scootaloo's wing situation in-universe (season 2 had a couple scenes with her trying and failing to fly, but nothing to resolve the "disability" versus "late bloomer" question - if anything, the fact that she was still trying suggests that she hadn't been diagnosed with any condition that would ground her for life).

Also, assuming that the problem is in fact her wingspan, there is a real-world surgical procedure that might fix it: limb lengthening surgery.

If you want to end the series with Scootaloo flying, that could also have been a cool way to do it. Perhaps have it so that she'd need to have it done by a doctor specializing in wing surgery, meaning her hospital stay would be in Cloudsdale. Have part of the plot involve the other CMCs find a way to get up there to visit her - I could possibly see Sweetie Belle handling the walk-on-clouds spell (probably not the butterfly wing spell - Twilight barely got it off once, and that was when she could teleport all over the place without breaking a sweat).

Edited by HedonismBot

There's definitely a couple things I would personally change.

- Flurry Heart is not an alicorn. That's just a horrible insert done to sell toys anyways. Will she have a normal lifespan? Will she be immortal with her alicorn mother and outlive her father? Will she outlive her mother AND father because she's a natural born alicorn and her mother isn't? Twilight seems to have some sort of extended lifespan, but Cadence doesn't, it's all super confusing to me. Which brings me to my next change:

- Shining Armor also ascends to alicornhood. Alicorn of Protection or something, or just co-ruler of the crystal empire. Simply because it's kind of sad for an mlp character to potentially have to outlive her family and rule alone (though that seems to be a trend in equestrian royalty)

- Chrysalis gets a more satisfying character arc. She seemed so powerful and threatening in season 2, but later on.. she just came off as a nuisance. I strongly disliked the mean 6 episode, it's tropey and annoying. Chrysalis could've been so much more of a villain later on, but she was put on the backburner development-wise, so she would've been better suited getting reformed or something. Or just, yknow, killed off like Sombra. Or never coming back in the first place.

- Cozy Glow doesn't get turned to stone. Not even gonna elaborate on this one, she's a child ffs. 

- Scootaloo is explicitly stated to be disabled early in the show. Watching the show when I was younger it was frustrating seeing her try and try to fly and fail over and over. It seemed like a developmental thing at first, but ended up being a disability, and frankly it's not very relatable or inspiring to watch a disabled character struggle to exist. I'm glad she gravitated more towards scooter-ing and it's cool having a disabled character, I just think she was executed poorly. (I think it kind of ties with faust leaving, scoots was coming to terms with herself in the earlier seasons)

- more episodes with Rarity and Dash. They could've gotten along just fine talking about aerial effects and sports fashion. Or maybe they compromise on a sport and play croquet or cricket or something  

- This is a personal thing, but more interesting character design. The mane 6 look alright but I thought the more colorful hair of g3 was nice, even just having more characters have more than one hair color would be nice. That and body patterns; they are equine after all, irl ponies have socks and diamonds and what not, I think it would've been cute. Have appaloosans have appaloosa patterns, and etc.

31 minutes ago, bubbleteapony said:

- Cozy Glow doesn't get turned to stone. Not even gonna elaborate on this one, she's a child ffs. 

"Turned to stone" seems to be just an extreme form of emprisonment in Equestria.  It wouldn't be a difficult leap to believe she could be unstoned at some future point and given her own redemption arc.

But I don't think Crazy Glue *is* a child. Everyone else at Twi's school is fully grown - it is more a post-school college than an actual school. So I think Crazy Glue's persona as being an innocent, lisping little filly is just that - an act, when she is in fact just small for her age. Perhaps her redemption could be a task handed to the young six once they graduate, just like Discord's was handed to the mane 6?

3 minutes ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

"Turned to stone" seems to be just an extreme form of emprisonment in Equestria.  It wouldn't be a difficult leap to believe she could be unstoned at some future point and given her own redemption arc.

But I don't think Crazy Glue *is* a child. Everyone else at Twi's school is fully grown - it is more a post-school college than an actual school. So I think Crazy Glue's persona as being an innocent, lisping little filly is just that - an act, when she is in fact just small for her age. Perhaps her redemption could be a task handed to the young six once they graduate, just like Discord's was handed to the mane 6?

I definitely like the trope of a villain looking like a child but actually being an adult (the sort of "people don't take me seriously so I'm super evil"); if they'd addressed this I think cozy could've been a better villain and more justified in being turned to stone. 

Having the young six be tasked with her redemption would also be a really good arc, if anyone could do it I'd say it would be them. 

17 minutes ago, bubbleteapony said:

- Flurry Heart is not an alicorn. That's just a horrible insert done to sell toys anyways. Will she have a normal lifespan? Will she be immortal with her alicorn mother and outlive her father? Will she outlive her mother AND father because she's a natural born alicorn and her mother isn't? Twilight seems to have some sort of extended lifespan, but Cadence doesn't, it's all super confusing to me. Which brings me to my next change:

Well, none of their lifespans are meaningfully discussed (kinda tricky when you aren't allowed to mention death). Though my big problem there was that they mentioned that Flurry Heart was an anomaly - the first pony in all recorded history to be born an alicorn. And then they go exactly nowhere with that. So, yeah, either give us some quality worldbuilding there, or don't bother with the "born an alicorn" thing at all.

23 minutes ago, bubbleteapony said:

- Scootaloo is explicitly stated to be disabled early in the show. Watching the show when I was younger it was frustrating seeing her try and try to fly and fail over and over. It seemed like a developmental thing at first, but ended up being a disability, and frankly it's not very relatable or inspiring to watch a disabled character struggle to exist. I'm glad she gravitated more towards scooter-ing and it's cool having a disabled character, I just think she was executed poorly. (I think it kind of ties with faust leaving, scoots was coming to terms with herself in the earlier seasons)

She was explicitly stated to be disabled by Lauren Faust, but never in-universe. And the dialogue in "Flight to the Finish" (which is from season 4, well after Faust left) seemed to be weaseling out of resolving the "disability" versus "late bloomer" question. Plus after that there were a number of references to her yearning for the experience of flight. There's also the fact that Equestria is no stranger to heavier-than-air flight technology (such as Apple Bloom's hang glider from "Call of the Cutie"), which could have allowed her to fly in some capacity. If anything, how they handled her only made her situation feel even MORE tragic than if she'd been given a diagnosis of "grounded for life" from the beginning - there would never be any reference to anyone helping her get flying, nor her having been to a doctor to see if there might be some treatment for whatever's going on with her wings, nor pointing her in the direction of technology that could help her fly. In essence, more fuel for the Scootabuse dumpster fire.

And then there's "The Washouts": her motivation for joining the titular team is that she had accepted that her prior lifelong dream (the Wonderbolts) was a no-go, and found them to be a satisfying second choice. Yet right after we see that, we're given the message that she was in the wrong for doing so. After that, the episode ends with her getting her own fan club despite not having done anything particularly fan-club-worthy with her life. It was almost like they were suggesting that people with disabilities shouldn't feel any need to do anything noteworthy with their lives, that they should be placed on a pedestal for whatever mundane things they're capable of and be happy with that. Which is what I was trying to fix with my suggestion on page 2, with the prospect of her being a part of a reformed Washouts.

Scootaloo is basically a case study in how NOT to handle a disabled character.

2 hours ago, HedonismBot said:

I had always thought that the best way to go about that would be to get her something like the glider from comic issue 81 (which got an earth pony into the Wonderbolts). The way her condition was handled suggests very strongly that the creators wanted to do the "disability representation" thing, but the execs were reluctant (Yet they were totally fine with having her be so desperate to do something cool with her life that she almost gets herself killed. Go figure.). In real life, many many people use various technology to compensate for various disabilities, doing what they want to do with their lives when they otherwise couldn't. If the creators really wanted to have themselves a disabled character, they could easily have dome it without having us watch her dreams get curb-stomped.

A glider or some sort of solution would've helped Scootaloo's situation. Since the show did go down the route of having her disabled, seeing something like that would've worked. I just simply think she should've flied by the end. The late bloomer character arch would've worked just as well for her if not better. With all the other unfortunate circumstances shoved at Scootaloo, being disabled on top of that caused the show to make her come off as pitiable. Plus, as you've mentioned, they hinted at her being a late bloomer so much that I and many others feel deceived that they took a whole different route. So yeah, I would've had her fly by the end.

But you're on to something with the flying device idea. That's the least the writers could've done to help Scootaloo's situation.

3 hours ago, Landi72 said:

With all the other unfortunate circumstances shoved at Scootaloo, being disabled on top of that caused the show to make her come off as pitiable.

A properly established disability wouldn't have been that pitiable if she had gotten her glider-or-whatever right after it was established (at least inform her of that option in the same episode), before all the scenes where she was shown yearning to fly. The problem with letting her fly all normal-like is that right after "Flight to the Finish", lots of fans started holding her up as a role model for people with disabilities (many with disabilities of their own) - it would have ignited the biggest wave of nerd rage since Twilight started flying. If you want to keep the "late bloomer" line, you'd probably have to scrap "Flight to the Finish" (kind of a shame seeing as it did a respectable job with its message), or at least rework the dialogue to establish that she'd fly eventually (just not in time for the show the CMCs were doing). I suppose it wouldn't be the first time a kids' show did a disability-related moral without a character having an actual disability.

And for what it's worth, the Master Code Ace Analyst review of comic issue 81 pitches the idea of Scootaloo using Wind Sock's glider tech to help other pegasi who can't get it up. If she actually was to be a role model for people with disabilities, that would have been the perfect way to go about it.

Also, regarding the episode "Between Dark and Dawn": The plot with Celestia and Luna on vacation desperately needs a rework. They dragged each other to activities the other had no interest in until they got into an argument and went their separate ways, which was portrayed as a failure in their relationship. Except that what they each wanted out of their vacation was 100% mutually exclusive - there was no way the whole "take turns choosing the activity" thing was going to end with anything other than both of them needing a vacation from the vacation. The proper resolution would be for them to apologize for blowing up at each other, then come to the mutual understanding that being in a healthy relationship doesn't mean having to do EVERYTHING together (which would have fit in perfectly with the kinds of lessons the show normally teaches). Let them each have fun by themselves, and maybe meet back up for dinner or something in time to watch Twilight screw things up with the sun and moon.

Now officially within the main show itself, I always thought that the Apple Pearents lost their lives due to exhaustion. While the 3 Apple siblings were still very young, Bright Mac and Pear Butter were captured by the then-unknown Changelings. They eventually had to escape on their own but they still believe the Changelings could be more than just lying and deceitful creatures and may someday discover what real love is all about. In the original I imagine that even when the Apple Pearents escape the hive alone, by the time they reach civilization their life forces were pretty much exhausted that their fate was sealed and details about their imprisonment and Changelings existence were left untold. At least until the Perfect Pear episode where the the Changeling guarding their prison cell came forward and told the truth to the Apple Family and Grand Pear to the best of his knowledge.

But what if that same Changeling guarding their prison decided to risk the Queen's wrath and help them escape? With a vow that he will guide the prisoners to safety, he did just that. Together all three escaped the Hive and made it all the way to civilization. As a result the Apple Pearents would live into the present and adopt the changeling giving him the name Will Guide (yeah I know this is a self-insert but bear with me). Now while Bright Mac believes in honesty, I managed to convince the family that I need to continue to pretend to be someone I'm not. If any of the Changelings loyal to Chrysalis discover who I really am, they'll not only go after me; they'll go after my adopted family, the Apple family. They agreed and so I took on the form of an unicorn who decided to work on the farm with the Apple family. And just because I pretend to have unicorn magic doesn't mean I didn't learn the value of hard work working on the farm. And so as "Unicorn" Will Guide I would actually watch the Apple siblings grow up before Twilight would come to Ponyville with Spike.

And then one day, the events of the Canterlot Wedding would happen. Now on the surface the episode would seem mostly unchanged from the original shown, but there was more to it going on. From the moment Twilight did that little sunshine sunshine song and the imposter Cadence failed to sing back, I suspected that she was Chrysalis. Almost immediately, I secretly had the mane six, Spike and Celestia in on my suspicion. I told them that if Chrysalis plan to take over, she has an entire army that would completely overwhelm the ponies 100 to 1. The only way we were going to find the real Cadence and defeat Chrysalis was to make her believe she is winning. 

And so what happens next in the original episode seems unchanged on the surface but I was secretly keeping my eye on everything until it was time to defeat Chrysalis: from Twilight spying on the false bride, to accusing the Bride of being evil, to Twilight's friends and Celestia "abandoning" her, to Twilight being taken away to the underground caves, to finding the real Cadence, (to the added bonus of me secretly guiding Twilight and Cadence out of the caves but keeping my distance so the Changelings loyal to Chrysalis don't suspect). the majority of everything on screen was just the ponies putting on a little show to trick Chrysalis to think she was winning.

Yes and Shining Armor was not in on my because he was the direct pawn in Chrysalis' invasion plan. Basically the real bride would appeared; the fake bride reveals herself as the Changeling queen; Celestia battles her knowing full well she was going to lose to Chrysalis gaining power from stealing Shining's love for the real bride; the mane six attempt to go after the Elements of Harmony knowing they were going to be overwhelmed and brought back to the alter. Chrysalis truly believe she was going to win.

And while the invasion was going on, I as Changeling Will Guide managed to convince several of the changelings to join the ponies and renounced our loyalty to the Changeling Queen. I would put a protection spell on these Changelings that genuinely wanted to join us so that when Shining Armor's true love-improved protection spell blast Queen Chrysalis and any Ling loyal to her far away, the pro-Ponies Lings wouldn't be blasted. Thorax was one of the pro-Ponies. Pharynx was one of the changelings whose loyalty was to The Hive (not necessarily Chrysalis herself) and while the majority of the Hive is still loyal to Chrysalis by the end the battle, the Changeling General would be blasted along with the Queen. I assured Thorax that someday he would see his brother again.

In the end Chrysalis and a huge majority of Changelings would be defeated and sent packing. And Chrysalis would have no idea that I was involved. She likely believed that I died a long time ago. The real wedding went off without a hitch and the rest of the Changelings that have joined the ponies have taken on secret identities at least until the day the majority of the Changeling Hive will be on Equestria's side. It was a start and sooner or later the Selfish Changeling Queen who only saw her "children" as pawns wouldn't be in power forever. I, Changeling Will Guide adopted by the Apple family, believe that someday the rest of the Changelings will discover the truth about what real love is all about, just as the Apple Pearents have told me.

Now I'm not sure how a Changeling being adopted by the Apple family would affected the other Changelings-based episodes before Queen Chrysalis officially loses her control over her hive in S6 finale, but I consider it an interesting story. Do any of you agree? You can just give me a brohoof.

Speaking of changelings, the mention of rogue changelings in "Triple Threat" REALLY should have had gone somewhere other than "Oh year, we reformed them while you weren't looking". Perhaps let Pharynx's story be about dealing with them instead of that giant mole thing - he hadn't changed either, but he did sincerely care about the safety of the hive.