Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony else think Rarity doesn't stick to her element?

Quackkyy The Pegasus

Is Rarity rude?  

17 users have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion on Rarity's character

• She's the worst of the mane six/TERRIBLE
    • She's bad
    • She's okay
    • She's good
    • She's AMAZING
    • She's so spectacular you worship her

Well, while it does appear so, generosity is one of those traits that are more on the complex side and less often show up. I do get where you come from but her being rude would be in character i'd say, but rudeness doesn't influence much how generous smoepony might be. She does show that she's worthy of wielding such element as generosity but her haute societé ideologies will make her come out as rude. Again I truly struggle to explain my thoughts and my poor talking capabilities might make that even worse but i do hope my points are clear enough :sealed:

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Vefka said:

I actually don't remember a single moment of her being generous, but I recall a few moments when she was the opposite

the moment when she redid all the dresses for the show because they didn't like how she did it. Even if the result, which consisted in what everyone told her to do, she still did it, working herself out while not gaining anything from it except her show being reported to the next day.

thats's one of the moments she's too generous

• Brohoof 2

Well well well... Let's not speak about Rainbow dash then.

I think is more about the writer's fault than Rarity as a character herself. The writers LOVE stereotypes. And the easiest one with the rich, girly, sassy girl that loves fashion is to be selfish. And many times this characters are actually the villains, antagonists, or bullies in any show. So it's more about defying the stereotype with the writers prejudice. Rarity above fashion and above everything else she truly cares about her friends, that is undeniable. Sadly the elements became less and less of a thing that mattered as the series went on because it was "difficult" to write generosity with a character like her because of her personality and interests. Truly sad.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 2

Also take in  consideration the fact that while maybe she has had some not generous moments, but the other mane5 had their bad moments too, not respecting their elements of harmony is not only something that rarity does, but that everyone does, for the sake of the script:ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Yeah, but I notice fans don’t seem to forgive RD for straying from her element as much as they seem to forgive Rarity for it.  

• Brohoof 4

11 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

I think is more about the writer's fault than Rarity as a character herself. The writers LOVE stereotypes. And the easiest one with the rich, girly, sassy girl that loves fashion is to be selfish. And many times this characters are actually the villains, antagonists, or bullies in any show. So it's more about defying the stereotype with the writers prejudice. Rarity above fashion and above everything else she truly cares about her friends, that is undeniable. Sadly the elements became less and less of a thing that mattered as the series went on because it was "difficult" to write generosity with a character like her because of her personality and interests. Truly sad.

20 minutes ago, Vefka said:

I actually don't remember a single moment of her being generous, but I recall a few moments when she was the opposite

Exactly. It's so easy to name episodes where she's ungenerous, even as background characters. For example, "Rarity Takes Manehattan", "Just for Sidekicks", "Sisterhooves Social", "Sweet and Elite", and "Inspiration Manifestation (technically it was the book but she should have given it back sooner)" are all that I can think of at the top of my head. The only one I can remember where she's generous in her episode is "Suited for Success".

• Brohoof 3

16 minutes ago, AppleButt said:

Yeah, but I notice fans don’t seem to forgive RD for straying from her element as much as they seem to forgive Rarity for it.  

Are you sure of that? :confused:

I think Rainbow has done a lot worse things and a lot more people seem to defend her more than call her out putting the blame on everything around her or trying to justify her.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Ittoni said:

I think Rainbow has done a lot worse things and a lot more people seem to defend her more than call her out putting the blame on everything around her or trying to justify her.

I’m very positive that I see a lot more hate toward RD than Rarity. 

• Brohoof 3

9 hours ago, Ittoni said:

Yeah Dash can be rude and harsh, but she didn't deviate from her element as much as Rarity did (probably because her element is one of the easiest - just stay friends with your friends)

And I agree with @AppleButt that Rarity is actually one of the most loved characters while Dash is more on the not-so-loved side of mane 6

Edited by Vefka
  • Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Vefka said:

Yeah Dash can be rude and harsh, but she didn't deviate from her element as much as Rarity did (probably because her element is one of the easiest - just stay friends with your friends)

And I agree with @AppleButt that Rarity is actually one of the most loved characters while Dash is more one the not-so-loved side of mane 6

But that's almost being true to the element by omission... :yeahno:

• Brohoof 2

She’s more of a pony-pleaser than anything now that I think about it. Think about the time she remade her friend’s dresses: she didn’t do it to be more generous, she did it to meet expectations. Of course, her dresses are her work, so it would make sense for her to appease her clients. That’s just business. But Rarity often thinks that she needs to please others or show them her skills to get them to appreciate her more, rather than just focusing on what somepony specifically wants or needs.

It’s completely understandable for her to want others to appreciate her talents and her unique perspectives, but when she puts that over other’s needs, then it becomes a problem. Take for example the puppet theatre she made. The customer could care less how pretty it looked, he just wanted something functional. Rarity lets herself get in the way of others too often and that’s what caused her to stray from her element from time to time. I’m not saying she wasn’t generous in creating gifts for others, but if she created them with herself in mind, then they aren’t really gifts for others, if that makes sense.

• Brohoof 3

She goes with trends and wants to be part of the in/vogue/elite crowd, which means she tends to seem standoffish to the more grounded characters and extremely insensitive at various points and thinks she knows best when it's the exact opposite.

Not a terrible character, from far from perfect as she makes herself out to be.

• Brohoof 4

6 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

She’s more of a pony-pleaser than anything now that I think about it. Think about the time she remade her friend’s dresses: she didn’t do it to be more generous, she did it to meet expectations. Of course, her dresses are her work, so it would make sense for her to appease her clients. That’s just business. But Rarity often thinks that she needs to please others or show them her skills to get them to appreciate her more, rather than just focusing on what somepony specifically wants or needs.

It’s completely understandable for her to want others to appreciate her talents and her unique perspectives, but when she puts that over other’s needs, then it becomes a problem. Take for example the puppet theatre she made. The customer could care less how pretty it looked, he just wanted something functional. Rarity lets herself get in the way of others too often and that’s what caused her to stray from her element from time to time. I’m not saying she wasn’t generous in creating gifts for others, but if she created them with herself in mind, then they aren’t really gifts for others, if that makes sense.

'rather than just focusing on what somepony specifically wants or needs' thats was a whole plot of the episode tho, that she specifically did what they wanted even if it ruined the exibition, it was reported tho so phiew:sealed:

• Brohoof 2

41 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

10 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

So... Rather than attempting to actually make a counter argument, you instead decide to bring RD into this, who has been loyal (Sonic Rainboom, The Cutiemark Chronicles, The Lost Treasures of Griffonstone, Sleepless In Ponyville, Wonderbolt Academy, Flight To The Finish, etc.) a lot more times than Rarity's been generous. So, if you're actually serious about defending your favourite mane six pony, write an actual defense rather than going "yeah but... RD bad! Grrr RD!".

• Brohoof 1

Every character has their bad moments but what makes Rarity stand out is that her bad moments are typically ones of selfishness, which contradicts her elements. The rest of the mane 6 typically stay true, sometimes to a fault.

Edited by SharpWit
  • Brohoof 5

8 hours ago, Nsxile 🔥🐲 said:

So... Rather than attempting to actually make a counter argument, you instead decide to bring RD into this, who has been loyal (Sonic Rainboom, The Cutiemark Chronicles, The Lost Treasures of Griffonstone, Sleepless In Ponyville, Wonderbolt Academy, Flight To The Finish, etc.) a lot more times than Rarity's been generous. So, if you're actually serious about defending your favourite mane six pony, write an actual defense rather than going "yeah but... RD bad! Grrr RD!".

I did gave my argument on Rarity. 

...ugh! I'm not going to do this again :eww:. Someone takes it too seriously and starts rambling about how could you say something against the favorite pony trying to jank me out of the main comment and theme by provoking and pulling me into a void of discussion that completely goes into another direction from my original point. I'm only answering because they keep asking about it and arguing on it. Leave it at that, it's MY opinion on both characters :nom:

Rarity does not follow her element for the stated reasons and it's a shame. It's a shame that rainbow is so bad at following her element too because she seems to betray it more given the chance for her selfish attitude. Loyalty is not only a presential act, it means don't be a jerk to your friends and family, don't betray them and their confidence in you. For that matter, Twilight is the one that also betrays her element the most for pushing her friends aside when she needs them the most given that her literal power couldn't be possible without all of them being together, but she has main character privileges. Pinkie Pie doesn't care for the happiness of others, she only likes the idea behind making others happy but for selfish reasons, because that will make HER happy. In many occasions right when something or someone deviates from her own ideal of happiness she throws a tantrum until everyone agrees with her. The only two that get the closest to their elements are Fluttershy and Applejack in a minor key.

Rarity is not attuned to her element but no more than the others, is just above Rainbow if we put them of a gradient.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

I've noticed this too. She's awful stingy at times for being the Element of Generosity. :devious: But then again, she'll make a dress for anyone at the drop of a hat, which is a pretty generous move. I will agree though that more often than not, she doesn't represent her element that well. 

• Brohoof 4

38 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

Nopony’s perfect! :rarity: Everypony has strayed from their element at least once! :kindness: Doesn’t make them bad, does it? :dash:

Exactly. 

Which is Why this song from S7's Fame and Misfortune is so brilliant even an episode that gets a lot of flink even both in and out of Universe from the fan bases:

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Will Guide said:

Which is Why this song from S7's Fame and Misfortune is so brilliant even an episode that gets a lot of flink even both in and out of Universe from the fan bases:

I very nearly referenced that song. :laugh:  Why didn’t I? :lie: Definitely one of the best of the entire series! :wub:

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Cursed-Fate said:

'rather than just focusing on what somepony specifically wants or needs' thats was a whole plot of the episode tho, that she specifically did what they wanted even if it ruined the exibition, it was reported tho so phiew:sealed:

I tried my best to back up all my points but I might have messed up a few times, whoops :adorkable:

I wrote my whole “essay” up there in a hurry so sorry if any of it was super confusing

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, ExplosionMare said:

I tried my best to back up all my points but I might have messed up a few times, whoops :adorkable:

I wrote my whole “essay” up there in a hurry so sorry if any of it was super confusing

No worries:fluttershy: I totally understand that as i mess up quite a lot too with explainations:yay:

• Brohoof 1