Jump to content

Anypony else think Rarity doesn't stick to her element?


Is Rarity rude?  

17 users have voted

  1. 1. What's your opinion on Rarity's character

    • She's the worst of the mane six/TERRIBLE
    • She's bad
    • She's okay
    • She's good
    • She's AMAZING
    • She's so spectacular you worship her


Recommended Posts

Does anybody else here think Rarity isn't very generous? It feels like in almost all of her episodes she relearns to not be a jerk. Maybe it's just the earlier seasons, but even still I feel like she's so rude.

Edited by QuerkyThePegasus
  • Brohoof 5
Link to post
Share on other sites


Register now to remove this ad.

Well, while it does appear so, generosity is one of those traits that are more on the complex side and less often show up. I do get where you come from but her being rude would be in character i'd say, but rudeness doesn't influence much how generous smoepony might be. She does show that she's worthy of wielding such element as generosity but her haute societé ideologies will make her come out as rude. Again I truly struggle to explain my thoughts and my poor talking capabilities might make that even worse but i do hope my points are clear enough :sealed:

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually don't remember a single moment of her being generous, but I recall a few moments when she was the opposite

  • Brohoof 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Just now, Vefka said:

I actually don't remember a single moment of her being generous, but I recall a few moments when she was the opposite

the moment when she redid all the dresses for the show because they didn't like how she did it. Even if the result, which consisted in what everyone told her to do, she still did it, working herself out while not gaining anything from it except her show being reported to the next day.

thats's one of the moments she's too generous

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well well well... Let's not speak about Rainbow dash then.

I think is more about the writer's fault than Rarity as a character herself. The writers LOVE stereotypes. And the easiest one with the rich, girly, sassy girl that loves fashion is to be selfish. And many times this characters are actually the villains, antagonists, or bullies in any show. So it's more about defying the stereotype with the writers prejudice. Rarity above fashion and above everything else she truly cares about her friends, that is undeniable. Sadly the elements became less and less of a thing that mattered as the series went on because it was "difficult" to write generosity with a character like her because of her personality and interests. Truly sad.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 2
  • Pondering 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also take in  consideration the fact that while maybe she has had some not generous moments, but the other mane5 had their bad moments too, not respecting their elements of harmony is not only something that rarity does, but that everyone does, for the sake of the script:ButtercupLaugh:

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Well well well... Let's not speak about Rainbow dash then.

Yeah, but I notice fans don’t seem to forgive RD for straying from her element as much as they seem to forgive Rarity for it.  
 
 

 

 

  • Brohoof 4
  • teacup 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Well well well... Let's not speak about Rainbow dash then.

I think is more about the writer's fault than Rarity as a character herself. The writers LOVE stereotypes. And the easiest one with the rich, girly, sassy girl that loves fashion is to be selfish. And many times this characters are actually the villains, antagonists, or bullies in any show. So it's more about defying the stereotype with the writers prejudice. Rarity above fashion and above everything else she truly cares about her friends, that is undeniable. Sadly the elements became less and less of a thing that mattered as the series went on because it was "difficult" to write generosity with a character like her because of her personality and interests. Truly sad.

 

20 minutes ago, Vefka said:

I actually don't remember a single moment of her being generous, but I recall a few moments when she was the opposite

Exactly. It's so easy to name episodes where she's ungenerous, even as background characters. For example, "Rarity Takes Manehattan", "Just for Sidekicks", "Sisterhooves Social", "Sweet and Elite", and "Inspiration Manifestation (technically it was the book but she should have given it back sooner)" are all that I can think of at the top of my head. The only one I can remember where she's generous in her episode is "Suited for Success".

  • Brohoof 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, AppleButt said:

Yeah, but I notice fans don’t seem to forgive RD for straying from her element as much as they seem to forgive Rarity for it.  
 
 

 

 

Are you sure of that? :confused:

I think Rainbow has done a lot worse things and a lot more people seem to defend her more than call her out putting the blame on everything around her or trying to justify her.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 2
  • Pondering 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ittoni said:

Are you sure of that? :confused:

I think Rainbow has done a lot worse things and a lot more people seem to defend her more than call her out putting the blame on everything around her or trying to justify her.

I’m very positive that I see a lot more hate toward RD than Rarity. 

  • Brohoof 3
  • teacup 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Ittoni said:

I think Rainbow has done a lot worse things and a lot more people seem to defend her more than call her out putting the blame on everything around her or trying to justify her.

Yeah Dash can be rude and harsh, but she didn't deviate from her element as much as Rarity did (probably because her element is one of the easiest - just stay friends with your friends)

And I agree with @AppleButt that Rarity is actually one of the most loved characters while Dash is more on the not-so-loved side of mane 6

 

Edited by Vefka
  • Brohoof 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 minute ago, Vefka said:

Yeah Dash can be rude and harsh, but she didn't deviate from her element as much as Rarity did (probably because her element is one of the easiest - just stay friends with your friends)

And I agree with @AppleButt that Rarity is actually one of the most loved characters while Dash is more one the not-so-loved side of mane 6

 

But that's almost being true to the element by omission... :yeahno:

  • Brohoof 2
  • Pondering 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

She’s more of a pony-pleaser than anything now that I think about it. Think about the time she remade her friend’s dresses: she didn’t do it to be more generous, she did it to meet expectations. Of course, her dresses are her work, so it would make sense for her to appease her clients. That’s just business. But Rarity often thinks that she needs to please others or show them her skills to get them to appreciate her more, rather than just focusing on what somepony specifically wants or needs.
 

It’s completely understandable for her to want others to appreciate her talents and her unique perspectives, but when she puts that over other’s needs, then it becomes a problem. Take for example the puppet theatre she made. The customer could care less how pretty it looked, he just wanted something functional. Rarity lets herself get in the way of others too often and that’s what caused her to stray from her element from time to time. I’m not saying she wasn’t generous in creating gifts for others, but if she created them with herself in mind, then they aren’t really gifts for others, if that makes sense.

  • Brohoof 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

She goes with trends and wants to be part of the in/vogue/elite crowd, which means she tends to seem standoffish to the more grounded characters and extremely insensitive at various points and thinks she knows best when it's the exact opposite.

Not a terrible character, from far from perfect as she makes herself out to be.

  • Brohoof 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

6 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

She’s more of a pony-pleaser than anything now that I think about it. Think about the time she remade her friend’s dresses: she didn’t do it to be more generous, she did it to meet expectations. Of course, her dresses are her work, so it would make sense for her to appease her clients. That’s just business. But Rarity often thinks that she needs to please others or show them her skills to get them to appreciate her more, rather than just focusing on what somepony specifically wants or needs.
 

It’s completely understandable for her to want others to appreciate her talents and her unique perspectives, but when she puts that over other’s needs, then it becomes a problem. Take for example the puppet theatre she made. The customer could care less how pretty it looked, he just wanted something functional. Rarity lets herself get in the way of others too often and that’s what caused her to stray from her element from time to time. I’m not saying she wasn’t generous in creating gifts for others, but if she created them with herself in mind, then they aren’t really gifts for others, if that makes sense.

'rather than just focusing on what somepony specifically wants or needs' thats was a whole plot of the episode tho, that she specifically did what they wanted even if it ruined the exibition, it was reported tho so phiew:sealed:

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Well well well... Let's not speak about Rainbow dash then.

10 minutes ago, Ittoni said:

Are you sure of that? :confused:

I think Rainbow has done a lot worse things and a lot more people seem to defend her more than call her out putting the blame on everything around her or trying to justify her.

So... Rather than attempting to actually make a counter argument, you instead decide to bring RD into this, who has been loyal (Sonic Rainboom, The Cutiemark Chronicles, The Lost Treasures of Griffonstone, Sleepless In Ponyville, Wonderbolt Academy, Flight To The Finish, etc.) a lot more times than Rarity's been generous. So, if you're actually serious about defending your favourite mane six pony, write an actual defense rather than going "yeah but... RD bad! Grrr RD!".

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every character has their bad moments but what makes Rarity stand out is that her bad moments are typically ones of selfishness, which contradicts her elements. The rest of the mane 6 typically stay true, sometimes to a fault.

Edited by SharpWit
  • Brohoof 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nsxile 🔥🐲 said:

So... Rather than attempting to actually make a counter argument, you instead decide to bring RD into this, who has been loyal (Sonic Rainboom, The Cutiemark Chronicles, The Lost Treasures of Griffonstone, Sleepless In Ponyville, Wonderbolt Academy, Flight To The Finish, etc.) a lot more times than Rarity's been generous. So, if you're actually serious about defending your favourite mane six pony, write an actual defense rather than going "yeah but... RD bad! Grrr RD!".

I did gave my argument on Rarity. 

...ugh! I'm not going to do this again :eww:. Someone takes it too seriously and starts rambling about how could you say something against the favorite pony trying to jank me out of the main comment and theme by provoking and pulling me into a void of discussion that completely goes into another direction from my original point. I'm only answering because they keep asking about it and arguing on it. Leave it at that, it's MY opinion on both characters :nom:

Rarity does not follow her element for the stated reasons and it's a shame. It's a shame that rainbow is so bad at following her element too because she seems to betray it more given the chance for her selfish attitude. Loyalty is not only a presential act, it means don't be a jerk to your friends and family, don't betray them and their confidence in you. For that matter, Twilight is the one that also betrays her element the most for pushing her friends aside when she needs them the most given that her literal power couldn't be possible without all of them being together, but she has main character privileges. Pinkie Pie doesn't care for the happiness of others, she only likes the idea behind making others happy but for selfish reasons, because that will make HER happy. In many occasions right when something or someone deviates from her own ideal of happiness she throws a tantrum until everyone agrees with her. The only two that get the closest to their elements are Fluttershy and Applejack in a minor key.

Rarity is not attuned to her element but no more than the others, is just above Rainbow if we put them of a gradient.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1
  • Pondering 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed this too. She's awful stingy at times for being the Element of Generosity. :devious: But then again, she'll make a dress for anyone at the drop of a hat, which is a pretty generous move. I will agree though that more often than not, she doesn't represent her element that well. 

  • Brohoof 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

Nopony’s perfect! :rarity: Everypony has strayed from their element at least once! :kindness: Doesn’t make them bad, does it? :dash:

Exactly. 

Which is Why this song from S7's Fame and Misfortune is so brilliant even an episode that gets a lot of flink even both in and out of Universe from the fan bases:

 

  • Brohoof 3
  • Hug 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Will Guide said:

Which is Why this song from S7's Fame and Misfortune is so brilliant even an episode that gets a lot of flink even both in and out of Universe from the fan bases:

 

I very nearly referenced that song. :laugh:  Why didn’t I? :lie: Definitely one of the best of the entire series! :wub:

  • Brohoof 3
  • Smile 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cursed-Fate said:

'rather than just focusing on what somepony specifically wants or needs' thats was a whole plot of the episode tho, that she specifically did what they wanted even if it ruined the exibition, it was reported tho so phiew:sealed:

I tried my best to back up all my points but I might have messed up a few times, whoops :adorkable:

I wrote my whole “essay” up there in a hurry so sorry if any of it was super confusing

  • Brohoof 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ExplosionMare said:

I tried my best to back up all my points but I might have messed up a few times, whoops :adorkable:

I wrote my whole “essay” up there in a hurry so sorry if any of it was super confusing

No worries:fluttershy: I totally understand that as i mess up quite a lot too with explainations:yay:

  • Brohoof 1
  • Smile 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...