Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Did you ever want payback against someone for dis/liking etc. something (Movie, show, book, game, etc.)?

PCutter

It could be along the lines of "If you dis/like or do/don't watch or do/don't read this, I'm going to do this/that to you." As a sort of veiled threat?

Did you follow through with that warning and actively tried to stop that person or not? As in try to control every aspect of their preferences to satisfy you?

Edited by PCutter

When someone I know doesn’t like something like that  I like to pay them back by annoying them with it.  :oh_golly:

Like my ex hated some of the songs I liked and I’d play them in the car sometimes just to annoy her.  

• Brohoof 2

Generally speaking I make warnings in the hopes that people aren't stupid enough to ignore it. So far only one person have ignored my warnings, which is nice. 

Edit~

Had someone diss on my playlist, so I ended up playing it on repeat during the entire music night a couple of months back. Of course we were more joking around mostly, and I get asked for song recommendations once in a while, which is nice.

Edited by Yakamaru

Even though i hate the World and the People in it for destroying so many nice things that i like, i still prefer to just ignore them as best as i can before i fall into an even bigger depression.

Don Bluths multiple bankcruptcys where one point in my life where i lost all hope. I even wrote about it because i was so upset. Or the countless franchises that were slaughtered by fans, just because it wasnt the way they wanted it. Sometimes i feel that fans are more on a high horse and demanding and not supporting, even though my impression was that, as a fan, i should support, not demand.

I guess it just comes down to opinions, but in a world in which hard work is completely thrown out the window just because of an opinion is not a world i want to live in. Doesnt madder how much work you put into something and how many people are at risk of losing their jobs or even land on the street, if people are not interested in you, you just fall...you just had bad luck...

Sometimes i really hate people. Still, i have never threatend someone because...why? They take away so much from me, why should i let them take even more of me? Like my time or my well being?

Payback? Threat? For not liking a something I like? What???

No...

I might get mad or sad but not to get into seeking some kind of revenge for it... that's close to emotional blackmail. Not even in a joking manner.

There's always something you can bond over and not liking something is just part of the expected with anyone. So I just move on the the next theme. 

• Brohoof 3

NO. I like all sorts of things that I completely accept are not for everyone and I've had friends with all sorts of people who don't like what I do. Wanting payback over someone having a different opinion on a piece of entertainment is one of the most childish things I've ever heard of. :maud:

• Brohoof 4

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I had some people harass me for shipping Dislestia over FlutterCord.

So I threatened to draw Discord and Celestia kissing and give them credit in the artist comments as the “inspiration”.

They backed off.

6 hours ago, SpookyEmerald said:

I refuse to be with someone who doesn't like Disney

Agreed.

I had to burn a bridge with somebody who claimed that I shouldn't be working for Disney just because he sees them as the devil. He can hate Disney all he wants, but he has no right to tell me who I should and shouldn't work for. it's been my dream job to be working at Disneyland since high school. And just when I thought I was never going to achieve that dream I got an email from them asking me for hiring paperwork and orientation. If only COVID-19 lockdown in March hadn't interrupted my training the exact same weekend. Anyway...

Thankfully I only knew that jerk for about a month and during that time it was only for role-playing on Discord. So no tears were shed; just glad that I got out of that toxic relationship. I didn't get any payback on him per se just simply an angry message about why he should not be in charge of who I work for. It's my career choice not his.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Ittoni said:

Payback? Threat? For not liking a something I like? What???

No...

I might get mad or sad but not to get into seeking some kind of revenge for it... that's close to emotional blackmail. Not even in a joking manner.

There's always something you can bond over and not liking something is just part of the expected with anyone. So I just move on the the next theme. 

Well my case was already blackmail being successfully carried out. I never liked that person, regardless of them liking ST or not.

(edited)
On 10/13/2020 at 5:41 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

NO. I like all sorts of things that I completely accept are not for everyone and I've had friends with all sorts of people who don't like what I do. Wanting payback over someone having a different opinion on a piece of entertainment is one of the most childish things I've ever heard of. :maud:

On 10/13/2020 at 6:38 AM, EpicEnergy said:

I don't want payback for someone just having an opinion.

Another time was when I lost "friends" because I told them I like some universally hated episodes from Spongebob, PPG (original) and even pony. They labeled me as the "other" that doesn't deserve friends because I liked those episodes, saying I'm not right in the head for it. They wrote an entire page's worth justifying why it's horrible and how much they look down on others who like them, saying that anyone who refuses the truth is a lower lifeform.

Examples: 

Fallen Arches (PPG)

Pizza Delivery (Spongebob)

Feeling Pinkie Keen

Edited by PCutter

4 hours ago, PCutter said:

People HATE that episode? Since when? Everyone I’ve ever met never said anything about it. They hate the gross or messed up crap like “The Splinter”.

Well in any case, I love the “Pizza Delivery” episode.

• Brohoof 4

4 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

People HATE that episode? Since when? Everyone I’ve ever met never said anything about it. They hate the gross or messed up crap like “The Splinter”.

yeah I'm surprised too. That episode was from the Golden era up season 1 through season 3 where there were very few episodes that were universally hated.

Heck I looked up the Dethroning Moment of Suck section on TVTropes where users would list what episodes they hate the most and explain their reasons why and nobody ever mentioned the Pizza Delivery. And I'm legitimately curious.

As for me if I come across an episode that I didn't like, I don't spend my time screaming or demanding others to despise it too or insult the people who made the episode; I simply shake my head in disappointment and just get on with my life. Or even better try to look for some good qualities that might be buried under all that awfulness

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Oh really how about hating the episode because of who's really guilty? There's even a reddit thread about it. 

Here are the ones who people claim are supposed to be "criminals" 

Krabs: Many say that when he got the phone call, he 1) lied about having a pizza place because of his greed and 2) he hanged up and the customer was still talking, hence why the customer hated Spongebob thinking he never bothered to get a drink

Customer: Being a heartless b*stard for spitting on Spongebob, essentially calling him a sh*tty delivery boy, saying he never thinks about the customers

Squidward: Smashing the pizza in the customer's face. Some already want Squidward arrested for committing assault like that.

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

As for me if I come across an episode that I didn't like, I don't spend my time screaming or demanding others to despise it too or insult the people who made the episode; I simply shake my head in disappointment and just get on with my life. Or even better try to look for some good qualities that might be buried under all that awfulness

Someone even burned bridges with me because I was amused by I'm With Stupid (SB) and Lesson Zero.

I only somewhat want payback for people destroying important things in my life. I don't want to cause any harm for people liking other things than myself

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, PCutter said:

Squidward: Smashing the pizza in the customer's face. Some already want Squidward arrested for committing assault like that.

That’s a weird thing to get upset about. Cartoons are full of characters assaulting each other.

• Brohoof 2

17 hours ago, PCutter said:

Another time was when I lost "friends" because I told them I like some universally hated episodes from Spongebob, PPG (original) and even pony. They labeled me as the "other" that doesn't deserve friends because I liked those episodes, saying I'm not right in the head for it. They wrote an entire page's worth justifying why it's horrible and how much they look down on others who like them, saying that 

Examples: 

Fallen Arches (PPG)

Feeling Pinkie Keen

A friendship lost over opinions on episodes of a children's cartoon was clearly never a real friendship to begin with. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
14 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

That’s a weird thing to get upset about. Cartoons are full of characters assaulting each other.

Tell that to the political nuts who get infuriated every time characters do something that makes sense in their world but is illegal in real life. I even put up with some people who hate Mr. Bean because his antics have resulted in (unseen) deaths, damage and other criminal behavior. At one point, they even wanted Rowan Atkinson to be arrested for "promoting and normalizing criminal and deviant behavior." 

Another example that applies: Harassing in Fame and Misfortune

An episode that I absolutely defend to death because of the writers being threatened with murder because the ponies committed the criminal act of incessant harassing.

Edited by PCutter

14 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

A friendship lost over opinions on episodes of a children's cartoon was clearly never a real friendship to begin with. 

Forgot to mention Moral Decay (PPG), and the Great Snail Race and Grandma's Kisses.

BTW I absentmindedly forgot to finish my reply. 

*saying that anyone who refuses the truth is a lower lifeform