Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Post your unpopular technology opinions

Reecejackox

Do video game consoles count here? Because there's already a topic that focuses on unpopular video game opinions.

Call me a Nintendo Fanboy but I think the kind of gameplay that appeals to people of all ages is much more important than superior graphics. And Nintendo is like the Disney of video game. Seems like it's made for kids on the surface but that's where the kind of stuff that appeals to all ages. Stuff you can go back and enjoy even when you're an adult

• Brohoof 1

Mainly gonna focus on gaming consoles

N64 was Nintendo's weakest console, yes even over Wii U

360 is the only Xbox console worth noting so far

PSP is one of the best handhelds ever, eclipsing both GB and GBC, on par with GBA and 3DS, and just below Switch and DS

If it wasn't for the Playstation, Sony as a company would have gone under years ago(their tech division is shit and the their other entertainment divisions suck too, only holding on because they're holding Spiderman hostage)

Apple is a perfectly fine option for computers and phones with their own advantages

Google should stick to search engines, most of their forays into other markets have been trainwrecks(Google Glass and Stadia)

• Brohoof 1

Mainly focused on gaming consoles:

• The Nintendo Wii is a horrendously overrated console. Mostly because of the library, but also because it's based on a dumb gimmick.
  • The N64 is a solid console, but the controllers are HORRENDOUSLY designed. Like why three handles? We only have two hands.
  • The Gamecube is definitely, without doubt, Nintendo's best console. Though anyone will tell you GC controllers are god-tier, even the console itself is.
  • Most Xbox consoles are terrible aside from post RROD 360's.
  • Water-cooling isn't very well-regarded I think anymore, but I will tell you it's definitely, surely an atrocity that should never have existed.
  • Brohoof 1

I hate touchscreens on any device! Like how gross to spread germs more than touching keys on a keyboard and get more typos when typing on touchscreen. Seriously fingerprints get all over and l hate to keep cleaning my screen and others.

34 minutes ago, Spoopy said:

Mainly focused on gaming consoles:

• The Nintendo Wii is a horrendously overrated console. Mostly because of the library, but also because it's based on a dumb gimmick.
  • The N64 is a solid console, but the controllers are HORRENDOUSLY designed. Like why three handles? We only have two hands.
  • The Gamecube is definitely, without doubt, Nintendo's best console. Though anyone will tell you GC controllers are god-tier, even the console itself is.
  • Most Xbox consoles are terrible aside from post RROD 360's.
  • Water-cooling isn't very well-regarded I think anymore, but I will tell you it's definitely, surely an atrocity that should never have existed.

Actually many people hated the N64 controllers. So does it count for an unpopular opinion?

1 minute ago, Spoopy said:

I know more people who think it's actually a good controller and I don't know how.

Ah that's what you see. Well they're crazy to say that! Like how it's so goofy looking and weird to hold.

Phones were better when their bodies were made of plastic. When they drop they're much less likely to break and while they can scratch and crack, metal bodies automatically scratch and dent after impacting any hard surface.

Less of an unpopular opinion, but today's phone batteries are awful. After 2 years it's of no surprise for a phone to die now. My first smartphone was the original iPhone, and it last until most people's 5's started dying out. Currently using the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active which is jist starting to have some battery issues, and they're on the 12 variation now? I understand that energy consumption is up, but I'm pretty sure this is planned obsolescence at work.

Speaking of the original iPhone, I miss being able to turn my screen off while still having the audio work. It meant less battery usage and I had to unlock my phone in order to change something. Sounds like a hassle, until you consider that today the press of a button or some weird movement stops your music, and ruins your groove while walking about.

I prefer wired headphones. Sure it hurts to have my ears yanked, but those things have also saved my phone from a fair share of impacts.

Wireless charging is overated. It's no different than when we had the charging stands for the early iPhones, iPods, and Wireless Home Phones. Yes they plug in, but having a set place to charge is dumb when I can carry a USB cable and an adapter in my pocket, things that will be required anyways.

• Brohoof 1

• Switch is really overrated, it's as expensive as AAA console and as powerful as potato (I saw Witcher 3 on Switch and even my old office laptop can do better). And semi-indie games don't add to the console
  • iPhones are extremely overrated, there were times where iphones were innovative and androids were as shit as stereotypes describe, but now it's far from truth. Androids became much, much better and still significantly cheaper, while iPhones are alive only because of brand name
  • Xbox controllers have bad sticks placement, I just don't get how you can play comfortably when stick are on different levels
Edited by Vefka
  • Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Spoopy said:

I know more people who think it's actually a good controller and I don't know how.

I can tell you exactly the reason why they made it with three handles. because they wanted it to be so that if you're playing games that use the classic control pad you can hold the left handle. While most games that use the new analog stick that most games use. you just hold the center handle. 

N64 still beat the PlayStation at one thing. Practically no loading times. Have you played Castlevania symphony of the Night? getting a game over and having to reload your file takes forever

Google's products and services are quite good. I remember how crappy my email service was before I got Gmail. Had it since early 2005 when you still needed an invite code to register. Google search is great if you compare it to bing, yahoo, etc.

I buy genuine software/OSes like Windows, etc stuff. I don't use activators/cracks. I have better things to do than to waste my time with pirated stuff and get potentially infect my pc with a crypto virus.

Edited by zerox
  • Brohoof 1

- Apple's products are overrated and not worth the money.

- The PS1 has aged way better than the N64 in terms of the controller and media storage.

- Google's should just mainly stick to their search engine.

• Brohoof 1

On 10/13/2020 at 9:13 PM, Vefka said:
  • Switch is really overrated, it's as expensive as AAA console and as powerful as potato (I saw Witcher 3 on Switch and even my old office laptop can do better). And semi-indie games don't add to the console
  • iPhones are extremely overrated, there were times where iphones were innovative and androids were as shit as stereotypes describe, but now it's far from truth. Androids became much, much better and still significantly cheaper, while iPhones are alive only because of brand name
  • Xbox controllers have bad sticks placement, I just don't get how you can play comfortably when stick are on different levels

Agreed with all of that

On 10/14/2020 at 4:00 AM, zerox said:

Google's products and services are quite good. I remember how crappy my email service was before I got Gmail. Had it since early 2005 when you still needed an invite code to register. Google search is great if you compare it to bing, yahoo, etc.

I buy genuine software/OSes like Windows, etc stuff. I don't use activators/cracks. I have better things to do than to waste my time with pirated stuff and get potentially infect my pc with a crypto virus.

Imo Yahoo was a mess. My mom always hated Yahoo email. Like there was problems and things won't load.

• Brohoof 1

On 10/13/2020 at 11:56 PM, SpookyEmerald said:

Androids are better than iPhones

That's a un-popular opinion? I hardly ever see anyone with iPhones nowadays haha

On 10/13/2020 at 10:03 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

Physical QWERTY keyboards on phones are better than touchscreen ones. 

OMG YES! I wish there were more phones with a keyboard, especially in stores
also it's so annoying the Key2 has went up in price on the used market recently (key2 LE went for around 350£ here and now goes for around 500£ on the used market, and the full key2 starts to approach the cost of a new iPhone 12)

I hate mobile devices not being actual computers in their own right, like seriously, it's not a computer, I can't run desktop oses on this shit haha, (though I wish I could have a GPD Win Max as a phone so I'm biased haha)
mobile phones and smartwatches should have plastic screens (I can't find a reason why this stopped beyond "but plastic scratches easy" which is discounted by a bottle of Brasso and an old rag)
Piracy isn't always about getting shit for free, but the challenge on getting it working, atleast now with DRM bullshit

Edited by Sherbie-kun <3
  • Brohoof 1