Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you know about France?

Cursed-Fate

So.

Basically, I've been wondering for quite some time what peoples from other countries knew about France. To make it easier if anyone responds, I'll set a small list of types of thing you may know about my country.

-Food

-City/Region (not counting Paris because it would make it too easy)

-Actor

-Singer/musician

-Brands

-Shows

-Anything else you wanna add, opinions or anything really

And i think that's enough, so yeah. It was just curiosity:sealed: have a nice day;)

• Brohoof 3

France is quite a big county, and has quite a famous history. Of course everyone has heard about it in one way or another.

I was watching an episode of Star Trek Deep Space 9 yesterday, and they talked about a book that I had never heard or read, called Les Miserables. So I guess that is one way to learn about France

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Splashee® said:

France is quite a big county, and has quite a famous history. Of course everyone has heard about it in one way or another.

I was watching an episode of Star Trek Deep Space 9 yesterday, and they talked about a book that I had never heard or read, called Les Miserables. So I guess that is one way to learn about France

Oh dear, that's a classic, if you haven't read it, i'd highly recommend that you do:fluttershy:. There also was an adaptation on screen with Gerard Depardieu as the lead tole of Jean Valjean, he's a super famous actor, i also recommend it tho I don't know if there are subs or dubs:sealed:

Thanks for your input:yay:

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Cursed-Fate said:

Gerard Depardieu

He is a super actor! Too bad I don't know the language.

I also am sad for Notre Dame. I have visited it, and been inside once, a long time ago.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Splashee® said:

He is a super actor! Too bad I don't know the language.

I also am sad for Notre Dame. I have visited it, and been inside once, a long time ago.

Yeah, when i saw it burning in the news, it felt like a part of my french soul was crumbling... But we'll manage to get it back to it's former glory. But talking about cathedral, you should check the one near my town on google, it's also sorta famous for being super dark and its gothic style makes it look like the ba guys lair, actually, i can attach media, lemme try:sealed:

it's called the cathedral of Notre dame de l'assomption and is located in Clermont ferrand, in Auvergne:yay: 

illustration-agglo-clermont-ferrand-cathedrale_4494461.jpeg

téléchargement.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I know France has quite a history of revolutionary thought and philosophy, which I like a lot! Admittingly I don't know a whole lot from before the revolution but everything after that I've studied intensively! Of course I do love the language, wines, cities, music, food and architecture, but I feel like those are easy to bring up so, there's something extra! I don't wanna get into too many details cos it may get political though

Also, Italian food wouldn't be what it is without the influence of French cousine.

All these things and more makes France my favorite European country. Much love from the US~

• Brohoof 2

23 minutes ago, Splashee® said:

Never seen that before. That's huge! And the color is so different from the rest of the buildings :wau:

Indeed, hence the villains lair vibe, and it is huge yeah, i feel so small in comparison, you need to arche your back, and your neck to see it all:yay:

19 minutes ago, Pastel Heart said:

I know France has quite a history of revolutionary thought and philosophy, which I like a lot! Admittingly I don't know a whole lot from before the revolution but everything after that I've studied intensively! Of course I do love the language, wines, cities, music, food and architecture, but I feel like those are easy to bring up so, there's something extra! I don't wanna get into too many details cos it may get political though

Also, Italian food wouldn't be what it is without the influence of French cousine.

All these things and more makes France my favorite European country. Much love from the US~

oh wow thanks:squee:

• Brohoof 1

Currently, my favorite thing about France is indeed the French Revolution. 

I've also become fascinated by the French language. Language in general interests me, but apparently 40% of words in the English language come from French and after learning that I've been stunned by how true that is. 

Also, Gojira, one of my favorite bands. They are le Français. 

Edited by Jeric
Removed political comments
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

Currently, my favorite thing about France is indeed the French Revolution.

I've also become fascinated by the French language. Language in general interests me, but apparently 40% of words in the English language come from French and after learning that I've been stunned by how true that is. 

Also, Gojira, one of my favorite bands. They are le Français. 

Yeah, french is everywhere:yay:

• Brohoof 1

- I know some of the language cause I’ve been trying to learn it. I’m in no way fluent, but I could have a basic French conversation

- I’ve heard of a few French music artists but I can’t remember their names. “Comme Ci Comme Ça” is a pretty good song, I remember that much

- I’ve seen quite a few French movies. I wish I remembered the titles, though :/. One was a classic horror/thriller about a woman whose friend was trying to help her kill the woman’s abusive husband. A lot of weird things happen afterwards, but I won’t spoil cause you really have to watch it for yourself. I also watched a French adaptation of this one story that’s been floating around different countries about a caretaker who works with and becomes friends with this paralyzed guy

That’s all I can think of for now. I might make some more posts later when I remember more stuff.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

- I know some of the language cause I’ve been trying to learn it. I’m in no way fluent, but I could have a basic French conversation

- I’ve heard of a few French music artists but I can’t remember their names. “Comme Ci Comme Ça” is a pretty good song, I remember that much

- I’ve seen quite a few French movies. I wish I remembered the titles, though :/. One was a classic horror/thriller about a woman whose friend was trying to help her kill the woman’s abusive husband. A lot of weird things happen afterwards, but I won’t spoil cause you really have to watch it for yourself. I also watched a French adaptation of this one story that’s been floating around different countries about a caretaker who works with and becomes friends with this paralyzed guy

That’s all I can think of for now. I might make some more posts later when I remember more stuff.

The movie with the paralysed guy might be 'Intouchable', and if it is then the story is originally a french book and the french movie can be considered the original version, also basic french conversation is already pretty nice:squee:

32 minutes ago, SpookyBrony42 said:

Fairyland is a heavy metal band from France.

Oh dear, i didn't know them, but they sound great and epic:yay:

32 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Removed political comments. 

Food glorious food! That is all

Food indeed, it is great to have dem baguettes and patisseries hmmm:sunbutt:

4 minutes ago, Cursed-Fate said:

Food indeed, it is great to have dem baguettes and patisseries hmmm:sunbutt:

I know I am going to sound far to much like my fav pony character, but French food in general is absolutely to die for. From mille-feuille to various bisques. Plus, tartiflette is .... for me ... god tier. I'm a strong believer in communal eating experiences, and from what I know food as a experience is very much a strong part of French culture. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Jeric said:

I know I am going to sound far to much like my fav pony character, but French food in general is absolutely to die for. From mille-feuille to various bisques. Plus, tartiflette is .... for me ... god tier. I'm a strong believer in communal eating experiences, and from what I know food as a experience is very much a strong part of French culture. 

It is indeed, I'm glad to be French;)

• Brohoof 2

M83 and Jean-luc Godard are from france and I love them-  Ben Bocquelet too, gumball is like my favorite cartoon. Tons of people I adore living or dead-  Rimbaud, and Charles Baudelaire. France is also home to some of the greatest architectural achievements of mankind, Versailles of course, the louvre etc. Yeah nothing but love for france. BUT your language is a pain to learn (at least pronunciation) too many silent letters.

• Brohoof 1

France was once one of the largest empires and most powerful nations that existed in Earth's history with very talented and gluttonous leaders. Their revolutions were quite violent and they never had any sort of backbone after their monarchy fell. Republics can't really stand up to Monarchies and their society declined after their King fell. The revolutionaries were a bunch of violent thugs with somewhat reasonable goals, but violent means.

And France, I find this alternate map interesting.

d9vawo0-09dfa713-7b99-484d-a2db-ad94075d

And as for France's flag, it's a bit bland. I would like it to be like this. 

File:Flag of Constitutional Royal France.svg - Wikimedia ...

• Brohoof 1

What I know about our neighbours from france besides the fact that you currently has in my opinion the best football team in the moment and the long hystory of war and later teamwork between france and germany.

Food: Ratatoulle is I guess the most common (at least for me). I have not that big knowledge about french food to be honest. I know some cheee sorts like Camembert or some drinks like champagner. And Baguette of course.

Cities besides Paris: Marseille, Nice, Strasbourg (only City in france I visited for now), Ajaccio, Perpignan, Bayonne, Carcassonne, Lyon, Metz, Rennes, Nantes, Nimes, Brest, Bordeaux, Toulon, Toulouse and Montpellier (I hope I wright them all correct)

Actor: Gerard Depardieu and Jean Reno

Football players: Mbappe, Pogba, Zidane, Barthez, Emmanuel Petit, Deschamps, Ribery, Valbuena, Benzema, Gruiezmann, Giroud, Lloris and as a Köln Fan of course Anthony Modeste. 

Car Brands: Citroen, Renault and Peugeot

I also know that France has several for me interesting mountain ranges: Jura Mountains, Alps, Massif Central, Ardennes, Vosges and the Pyrenees

That is all what I know at the moment. 

Edited by IronM17
  • Brohoof 2

France is one of my top favorite locales for early music, classical music, and music history.

Firstly I have to start with the fact that my main instrument, the oboe, was invented there in the 17th century. So, yeah, that's a BIG one!

France is my favorite location for medieval music. Guillaume de Machaut is easily the composer from the middle ages that I listen to the most. Even people not into early music may know "Douce Dame Jolie". That's Machaut. Such excellent music. Here are a couple of my favorites:

The formes fixes (Virelai, Rondeau, Ballade) that Machaut composed a lot of works in, had influence throughout medieval Europe, so even some non-French music I listen to use these French forms or regional variations of them.

Before Germans like Johann Sebastian Bach and George Frideric Handel, there were some important French Baroque composers, as well, such as Jean-Baptiste Lully. In addition, one of J.S. Bach's signature composition features is borrowing features from music from other countries. The French Overture (distinguished by a slow section followed by a faster imitative section) was one such feature that Bach borrowed in some of his music from what I remember. Here's one of Lully's. It is a jam.

Alright. So I wanted to spoiler these, but the spoiler tag has never worked properly for me on these forums, so I'm really cutting down on the number of music examples I wanted to give. =( The last thing I wanted to talk about is French Impressionism, impeccably beautiful music. In fact, it is hard to find other comparisons of music that could rival its beauty.

French Impressionism is characterized by extended harmonies and modality, tossing aside the bombast of Romanticism and getting down to making music purely beautiful. Composers like Debussy drew from lots of sources when making their music, including Early Music and Far Eastern (sorry for using that term) music.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

If it wasn't for covid-19, me and my family would have gone to Paris France this past May and while I would get to see Disneyland Paris, they get to see all the wondrous landmarks.