Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you know about France?

Cursed-Fate

France is the place with weird toilets that flush your..... And also you can order snails and frog legs to eat at restaurants? :blink:

Also, why is France called Frankrike in Swedish? Is it closer to what the French are calling France? Or are we Swedes complicating the words (again)?

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, Splashee® said:

France is the place with weird toilets that flush your..... And also you can order snails and frog legs to eat at restaurants? :blink:

Also, why is France called Frankrike in Swedish? Is it closer to what the French are calling France? Or are we Swedes complicating the words (again)?

I don't know why they call France that, but maybe it's because it used to be the kingdom of the Franks, they were the Frankish peoples maybe that's because of that:sealed:

• Brohoof 2

I know pretty much everything there is to know (I speak french and am currently in Switzerland; which is like 2 meters away). It's overrated; only worthy thing about it are its historical monuments.

On 10/21/2020 at 11:19 PM, Funtime Splashee said:

So, yes for the food (and these are delicious), and no for the toilet. I think you're thinking about Japan (and north african countries). :maud:

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, You said:

The Crimson Rivers + Jean Reno

He doesn't seem to be in many good movies though.

Else, the man who married his English teacher.

Jean Reno is a great actor.

I'm not sure she was an english teacher; a literature one mostly likely

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Xe__or said:

Jean Reno is a great actor.

I'm not sure she was an english teacher; a literature one mostly likely

He is indeed, played in many great movies, just gonna say Leon, the professional because I suck at remembering things. But there are also many great films that probably did not receive a dub. You could search 'les visiteur' it's a serie of films talking about mediaeval guys getting transported in modern times, quite fun

Just now, Cursed-Fate said:

He is indeed, played in many great movies, just gonna say Leon, the professional because I suck at remembering things. But there are also many great films that probably did not receive a dub. You could search 'les visiteur' it's a serie of films talking about mediaeval guys getting transported in modern times, quite fun

The only "Les visiteurs" I remember is "Les visiteurs en amérique" ; but I think he did serious movies too.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, You said:

Wasn't speaking about Reno with that comment. :<

You were talking about Macron, correct? What I said still stands; I don't remember her teaching english (wikipedia either apparently).

• Brohoof 2

15 minutes ago, You said:

Looks like both are damn hard to find online legally.

I'd argue most actually know him from his serious movies, The Crimson Rivers, L'Immortel, Léon.

Didn't know legality was an issue :orly:

To be fair you're not missing a lot; it was old school comedy

• Brohoof 1

On 10/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, Cursed-Fate said:

So.

Basically, I've been wondering for quite some time what peoples from other countries knew about France. To make it easier if anyone responds, I'll set a small list of types of thing you may know about my country.

-Food

-City/Region (not counting Paris because it would make it too easy)

-Actor

-Singer/musician

-Brands

-Shows

-Anything else you wanna add, opinions or anything really

And i think that's enough, so yeah. It was just curiosity:sealed: have a nice day;)

Alright  I don´t know much about France but I will just list some things:

Food: Baguette,Croissant

Drink: Champagne (I am not sure but i think champagne comes somewhere from the north-west region of France, but please correct me if i am wrong)

Cities: Verdun (I know Verdun, because of one famous battle in WW1. Many brave french soldiers gave their lives to defend this beautiful country.) Vichy (I know Vichy, because of history again I´m really into it. The Vichy regime had Vichy as its capital but the regime luckily collapsed during WW2.)

I want to ask you a question. Is Charles de Gaulle very well known today? I mean are you learing about him in school and is he still famous today or was he mostly forgotten?

And I´d like to ask you what you know about my country.

What do you know about Austria? (Please don´t confuse with Australia ;))

-Food

-Drinks

-Language

-City (Of course Vienna doesn´t count)

-Famous/Historical People

-And maybe you know a little about the history of my country

-Maybe add some other things

If you scroll down you can see of course the Frech flag, but also the Austrian flag.

Hope to hear from from you. :wub:

flag-france.jpg

Flag-Austria.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Off the top of my head I can name Lyons, Orleans, Dijon, Rennes, Nice, and Marseille. I also know some of the regions by name; Aquitaine, Brittany, and Normandy. I ALSO know that Brittany has its very own Breton independence movements.

Plus I can speak a bit of the language. I used to be a French student.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, RainbowDash187 said:

Alright  I don´t know much about France but I will just list some things:

Food: Baguette,Croissant

Drink: Champagne (I am not sure but i think champagne comes somewhere from the north-west region of France, but please correct me if i am wrong)

Cities: Verdun (I know Verdun, because of one famous battle in WW1. Many brave french soldiers gave their lives to defend this beautiful country.) Vichy (I know Vichy, because of history again I´m really into it. The Vichy regime had Vichy as its capital but the regime luckily collapsed during WW2.)

I want to ask you a question. Is Charles de Gaulle very well known today? I mean are you learing about him in school and is he still famous today or was he mostly forgotten?

And I´d like to ask you what you know about my country.

What do you know about Austria? (Please don´t confuse with Australia ;))

-Food

-Drinks

-Language

-City (Of course Vienna doesn´t count)

-Famous/Historical People

-And maybe you know a little about the history of my country

-Maybe add some other things

If you scroll down you can see of course the Frech flag, but also the Austrian flag.

Hope to hear from from you. :wub:

flag-france.jpg

Flag-Austria.jpg

Oh dear, interesting. Also yes, Mr Charles de Gaulle is still a subject, famous and has on going documentaries, he isn't forgotten.

So! Now it's my turn? How fun:squee:

Austria hmmm

I think apple pies come from there, but that's just a wild guess as I'm not sure, at all:sealed:

Austria has drinks like many beers? There's many brands there.

The Austrian language is something that I always mix up with German. Maybe it's pretty similar schnitzel sounds pretty German to me.

Cities....I suck at geography....hmmm Insbourg? Or halstats I cabt be sure...sorry:blush:

Historical people's, well since you seem good on the war subject, mister Ferdinand, which was the start of the conflicts on wide scales. I think that Arnold Schwarzenegger was Austrian too... And  a queen I can't remember her name... Sissi the impératrice ?

I might know more of the medieval parts, you were part of the ottoman empire before it vanished, and before well as most European countries you were in the Roman empire- yeah that's not good infos:blush:

I don't know what to add, your country has some beautiful pieces of architecture, the natural spaces there are FABULOUS. I'm not good when it come to giving opinions but darn it's a nice country:yay:

:blush:thanks for asking me

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Annie said:

Off the top of my head I can name Lyons, Orleans, Dijon, Rennes, Nice, and Marseille. I also know some of the regions by name; Aquitaine, Brittany, and Normandy. I ALSO know that Brittany has its very own Breton independence movements.

Plus I can speak a bit of the language. I used to be a French student.

Pretty nice, and Yuh, Bretons like to say they are not French:yay:

19 minutes ago, Cursed-Fate said:

Oh dear, interesting. Also yes, Mr Charles de Gaulle is still a subject, famous and has on going documentaries, he isn't forgotten.

So! Now it's my turn? How fun:squee:

Austria hmmm

I think apple pies come from there, but that's just a wild guess as I'm not sure, at all:sealed:

Austria has drinks like many beers? There's many brands there.

The Austrian language is something that I always mix up with German. Maybe it's pretty similar schnitzel sounds pretty German to me.

Cities....I suck at geography....hmmm Insbourg? Or halstats I cabt be sure...sorry:blush:

Historical people's, well since you seem good on the war subject, mister Ferdinand, which was the start of the conflicts on wide scales. I think that Arnold Schwarzenegger was Austrian too... And  a queen I can't remember her name... Sissi the impératrice ?

I might know more of the medieval parts, you were part of the ottoman empire before it vanished, and before well as most European countries you were in the Roman empire- yeah that's not good infos:blush:

I don't know what to add, your country has some beautiful pieces of architecture, the natural spaces there are FABULOUS. I'm not good when it come to giving opinions but darn it's a nice country:yay:

:blush:thanks for asking me

Good to know Charles de Gaulle is still known.

About your knowledge about Austria. I´m really suprised how much you know. I will just reply to your points:

-Applepies originate from England, but good guess.

-Yes many people drink a lot of beer. We even have a political party named "Bierpartei" which translates to Beerparty, which is really funny. I think they actually got a decent amount of votes a few weeks ago when the people of Vienna voted.

-Of course you know the famous Schnitzel (My favourite food btw.). In Austria we actually speak german but some words are so weird germans can´t even understand. In the east of Austria we speak more understandable german but the more west people live the weirder the language gets. In the far west near Switzerland I have no idea what these people are saying. I have a weird word for you to guess what it means "Oachkatzelschwoaf" (Tip:It has something to do with squirrels)

-Insbourg:ButtercupLaugh: that´s funny, because it sounds similar to the actual name (Innsbruck). Is it called Insbourg in french? There´s  a river called Inn that flows next to a town named "Braunau am Inn" where a very famous Austrian was born (take a blind guess who). Halstats, I assume you mean Hallstadt.

-Yes the assasination of Archduke Franz Fredinand was the main reason that WW1 started. The termionator was born here that´s true. You know Sissie too that´s cool. She was the wife of our emperor who lead Austria-Hungary in WW1. She was murdered in Switzerland in 1898.

-We were attacked by the Ottoman Empire but we defeated them at the battle of Vienna with the help of famous polish cavalary called "Hussaria". I think we lost some land but we were never fully occupied by the turks.

-You are right we have a beautiful landscape and architecture.

These are the alps where many tourists come every year.

maxresdefault.jpg

Here is one of our most beautiful pieces of architecture the "Stephansdom". It was built in 1137, so it´s very old. In 1945 it was heavily damaged but it was restaurated and looks like this now. I was actually on the tip of the tower, the view over Vienna was astonishing.

der-steinerne-zeuge-100~1920x1080?cb=158

Hope I made you curious about this country. I got pretty interested in France, because of your post i will look up some more details about France.

One last question. I know that your famous cathedral Norte Dame was heavily damaged by a fire like the Stephansdom (When I saw the video where the big tower of Notre Dame fell down I was feeling really sad for the people of France.). Is it rebuilt and does it look as beautiful as before again?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, RainbowDash187 said:

Good to know Charles de Gaulle is still known.

About your knowledge about Austria. I´m really suprised how much you know. I will just reply to your points:

-Applepies originate from England, but good guess.

-Yes many people drink a lot of beer. We even have a political party named "Bierpartei" which translates to Beerparty, which is really funny. I think they actually got a decent amount of votes a few weeks ago when the people of Vienna voted.

-Of course you know the famous Schnitzel (My favourite food btw.). In Austria we actually speak german but some words are so weird germans can´t even understand. In the east of Austria we speak more understandable german but the more west people live the weirder the language gets. In the far west near Switzerland I have no idea what these people are saying. I have a weird word for you to guess what it means "Oachkatzelschwoaf" (Tip:It has something to do with squirrels)

-Insbourg:ButtercupLaugh: that´s funny, because it sounds similar to the actual name (Innsbruck). Is it called Insbourg in french? There´s  a river called Inn that flows next to a town named "Braunau am Inn" where a very famous Austrian was born (take a blind guess who). Halstats, I assume you mean Hallstadt.

-Yes the assasination of Archduke Franz Fredinand was the main reason that WW1 started. The termionator was born here that´s true. You know Sissie too that´s cool. She was the wife of our emperor who lead Austria-Hungary in WW1. She was murdered in Switzerland in 1898.

-We were attacked by the Ottoman Empire but we defeated them at the battle of Vienna with the help of famous polish cavalary called "Hussaria". I think we lost some land but we were never fully occupied by the turks.

-You are right we have a beautiful landscape and architecture.

These are the alps where many tourists come every year.

maxresdefault.jpg

Here is one of our most beautiful pieces of architecture the "Stephansdom". It was built in 1137, so it´s very old. In 1945 it was heavily damaged but it was restaurated and looks like this now. I was actually on the tip of the tower, the view over Vienna was astonishing.

der-steinerne-zeuge-100~1920x1080?cb=158

Hope I made you curious about this country. I got pretty interested in France, because of your post i will look up some more details about France.

One last question. I know that your famous cathedral Norte Dame was heavily damaged by a fire like the Stephansdom (When I saw the video where the big tower of Notre Dame fell down I was feeling really sad for the people of France.). Is it rebuilt and does it look as beautiful as before again?

I'll answer to your question first. There was found raising to rebuild the arrow (we call that piece of the cathedral 'une flèche', which litteraly means arrow, but you know what part I mean xD) it still isn't rebuilt and the access is greatly limited. That's quite sad indeed. But if you're interested in cathedrals, there are plenty of them in France, I'll recommend taking. A look at Notre dame de l'Assomption in Auvergne, I keep talking about it to peoples, I live around there I'm sorta proud.

Now I'll comment your comments :yay:

Well mostly where there are questions.

Oachkatzelschwoaf....errrr I learned German....so I know I should cut that word into pieces....hmmm oach... Katzel, so cats ....schwoaf.....errrrrrrrrrr well it's simple, the answer is-

We don't call it innsebourg in France, I just didn't know how to spell it and felt like it'd be cheating to search soooo yuh:blush:

Gorgeous landscapes, reminds me of..... I almost said the Alps, then remembered Austria were our neighbors..... I'm an idiot:sealed:

Also, the architecture of that one is fancy, the roof looks amazing:kindness:

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Cursed-Fate said:

I'll answer to your question first. There was found raising to rebuild the arrow (we call that piece of the cathedral 'une flèche', which litteraly means arrow, but you know what part I mean xD) it still isn't rebuilt and the access is greatly limited. That's quite sad indeed. But if you're interested in cathedrals, there are plenty of them in France, I'll recommend taking. A look at Notre dame de l'Assomption in Auvergne, I keep talking about it to peoples, I live around there I'm sorta proud.

Now I'll comment your comments :yay:

Well mostly where there are questions.

Oachkatzelschwoaf....errrr I learned German....so I know I should cut that word into pieces....hmmm oach... Katzel, so cats ....schwoaf.....errrrrrrrrrr well it's simple, the answer is-

We don't call it innsebourg in France, I just didn't know how to spell it and felt like it'd be cheating to search soooo yuh:blush:

Gorgeous landscapes, reminds me of..... I almost said the Alps, then remembered Austria were our neighbors..... I'm an idiot:sealed:

Also, the architecture of that one is fancy, the roof looks amazing:kindness:

-Sad that une fleche (I don´t know how to type acents sorry) isn´t rebuilt i would love to visit France and see it for myself.

-As I expected you didnt know what that word means: "Oach" I have no idea what that means either. Katzel you actually knew it means cat and schwoaf is the tail. The word Oachkatzelschoaf translates to ..... squirreltail.

-Alright good to know you didnt look it up, you just spelled it wrong.

-There was one question you didnt answer: "There´s  a river called Inn that flows next to a town named "Braunau am Inn" where a very famous Austrian was born (take a blind guess who)."

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, RainbowDash187 said:

-Sad that une fleche (I don´t know how to type acents sorry) isn´t rebuilt i would love to visit France and see it for myself.

-As I expected you didnt know what that word means: "Oach" I have no idea what that means either. Katzel you actually knew it means cat and schwoaf is the tail. The word Oachkatzelschoaf translates to ..... squirreltail.

-Alright good to know you didnt look it up, you just spelled it wrong.

-There was one question you didnt answer: "There´s  a river called Inn that flows next to a town named "Braunau am Inn" where a very famous Austrian was born (take a blind guess who)."

Oh shoo, I didn't answer to that.... Hmm.... Well after thinking for a while, I thought that it was a trap and would behave said Schwarzenegger again, but like... If you sorta like war facts, and a certain German leader was from Austria, not gonna say the h-name I don't know the policies here.... Maybe it's just Schwarzenegger:sealed: I can't remember history classes.

Also you said it had nothing to do with squirrels:yay: oh wait.... I'm dumb, I read it wrong, you said it had to do with.... Arrrrr darn it:sealed:

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Cursed-Fate said:

Oh shoo, I didn't answer to that.... Hmm.... Well after thinking for a while, I thought that it was a trap and would behave said Schwarzenegger again, but like... If you sorta like war facts, and a certain German leader was from Austria, not gonna say the h-name I don't know the policies here.... Maybe it's just Schwarzenegger:sealed: I can't remember history classes.

Also you said it had nothing to do with squirrels:yay: oh wait.... I'm dumb, I read it wrong, you said it had to do with.... Arrrrr darn it:sealed:

You got it right, the man we are not going name that lead Germany was born there. I am suprised of your knowledge, many people think "mustache man" was german. Sadly this crazy man was born in Austria.

This is the house he was born in.It´s still open for visitors i think, but our government is talking about closing it

Braunau_Hitlerhaus_2.jpg

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, RainbowDash187 said:

You got it right, the man we are not going name that lead Germany was born there. I am suprised of your knowledge, many people think "mustache man" was german. Sadly this crazy man was born in Austria.

This is the house he was born in.It´s still open for visitors i think, but our government is talking about closing it

Braunau_Hitlerhaus_2.jpg

I personally think that closing a place holding such historical value is sad. Keeping memories alive through museums and litteraly a place of history is how we are sure peoples will remember. Quite sad. Makes me think of those destroying centuries old statues because the statue is of a man that did horrid things. History is there, it must be cherished Inna good or a bad way for us to make the right choices and avoid all those terrible things to happen again. Each time a piece of history falls, there are memories fading.:(

4 minutes ago, Cursed-Fate said:

I personally think that closing a place holding such historical value is sad. Keeping memories alive through museums and litteraly a place of history is how we are sure peoples will remember. Quite sad. Makes me think of those destroying centuries old statues because the statue is of a man that did horrid things. History is there, it must be cherished Inna good or a bad way for us to make the right choices and avoid all those terrible things to happen again. Each time a piece of history falls, there are memories fading.:(

I can only agree. I think the most interesting part of history are places you can still visit and expirience yourself. Next year, if the virus doesn´t intervene, I will be flying to russia and visit moscow. I am so hyped to see the Lenin mausoleum. You probably know what that is. The russian people are voting to remove Lenin´s body from the mausoleum, which I think is dumb, because it is one of the most interesting sights ever. I mean to see the body of Vladimir Lenin will  be a very special moment of my life. Actually seeing the face of a dictator that died almost 100 years ago, who indirectly started the cold war will probably be a very menacing feeling. Wow this conversation is going on for a while but I love to talk to other people that are interested in the same things as I am.

6a1bfbc7767a2d03c4f97b1626319c5b.jpg

• Brohoof 1