Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Can multiplayer horror games be actually scary?

Vefka

Today I played Phasmophobia with friends and noticed that it's not scary at all despite many reviews saying that this is one of the most scariest horror games of the past years. Then I remembered that as soon as I invite friends to any horror game it stops being scary. Like all atmosphere is gone, you suddenly "open your eyes" and see that this monster actually have weird model and funny animations, a lot of predictable cliche moments, bugs and other things you can laugh about.

So have you ever experienced actually scary horror multiplayer game? Do you think it's possible to create one?

• Brohoof 3

Multiplayer games, in general, are less scary, and more fun, since you are sharing the experience, and basically talking with someone at the same time. I think horror games need to be experienced, alone, in the dark, to work.

• Brohoof 2

Scary multiplayer games could be more scary if they cut off your interactions with the other player if something bad happens. One could be if the other player dies then either they're silent or you can barely hear them, but another could be if the other player was possessed then their movements are limited, and they can barely talk and/or start speaking nonsense. So your friend is still there with you, but you understand your fate if you (both) can't get a task done on time. But of course your friend would probably refuse the roleplaying, so their possessed movements and speech should be programmed into the game.

• Brohoof 1

I've seen YouTubers get scared over Phasmophobia. I'd recommend watching Markiplier's lately video on Phasmophobia, where he plays with two of his friends and one friend of his stays in the van while Markiplier and his second friend go into the mansion. It gets extremely scary that way, when players take the game seriously and one of the players stay in the van.

To answer the question presented, yes, multiplayer horror games can be scary. Some people won't get scared while others will, it depends on the individual and the game they are playing.

3 hours ago, InfernalEnergy said:

Snip

Youtubers live off of this. Like every entertainer, actor and so on, they have learned reactions expected by audience. Mark in particular is one of people who is NOT scared of games as he played horrors for years, but he gives a show for the audience because thats what audience wants. If you look at his older videos, like very old from amnesia days, you will see the difference on how he changed.

I suspect that devs of the games approach him straightforward at times saying "We will pay you if you play our game to promote it and if you can sell it as if you were genuinely scared of it, because that's what we're aiming at." It's normal in industry when you're big enough.

As for multiplayer games... only with correct people. With people who will read the atmosphere along and will not goof around.

• Brohoof 1

On 10/21/2020 at 12:50 AM, InfernalEnergy said:

Markiplier's lately video on Phasmophobia

Is it worth watching? I don't know the game, so is it a fun experience to watch them play it?

11 hours ago, Splashee® said:

Is it worth watching? I don't know the game, so is it a fun experience to watch them play it?

It's a fun experience, at least to me. It's fun watching YouTubers play scary games!

On 10/20/2020 at 11:23 AM, Vefka said:

Today I played Phasmophobia with friends and noticed that it's not scary at all despite many reviews saying that this is one of the most scariest horror games of the past years

I have heard of that game!!! I’m planning to buy it later and play it with my friends one day! The funny thing is you get to see you friends die based on yours or their action. Which this something I want to do to make my friends suffer for the hell of it :ButtercupLaugh:.  I think depending who you’re playing with. sometime a friend would get scare and that could make anyone else panicked as well. Sometime you can turn this into a goofy thing! I see it like a chain reactions.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, TBD 🚬 said:

The funny thing is you get to see you friends die based on yours or their action. Which this something I want to do to make my friends suffer for the hell of it :ButtercupLaugh:.  I think depending who you’re playing with. sometime a friend would get scare and that could make anyone else panicked as well. Sometime you can turn this into a goofy thing! I see it like a chain reactions.

Yeah that's the funny part, I have a friend who constantly calling a ghost by name (which makes it angry):ButtercupLaugh: Somewhat scary situation comes when all your friends die and you left alone without a way to communicate with them

14 hours ago, InfernalEnergy said:

It's a fun experience, at least to me. It's fun watching YouTubers play scary games!

Okay, I guess I have to watch it, at least once :eager:

• Brohoof 2

To me there is not such thing as a scary multiplayer game. But that's only because they didn't feel scary. Othes may say it is and others don't. One other reason why that's my opinion because horror games don't scare me. But they are very interesting to play or watch.

• Brohoof 1

On 10/23/2020 at 9:37 PM, Vefka said:

Yeah that's the funny part, I have a friend who constantly calling a ghost by name (which makes it angry):ButtercupLaugh: Somewhat scary situation comes when all your friends die and you left alone without a way to communicate with them

That’s why is safer to stay in the Van and monitor and when all goes south, you’ll be safe :kirin:

How would you set up your voice recording? I don’t have anything fancy microphone because I know you would need one to play

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, TBD 🚬 said:

How would you set up your voice recording? I don’t have anything fancy microphone because I know you would need one to play

I simply don't. My mic setup is built-in laptop microphone plus broken cooler that constantly makes "brrrrrrr" sound. Only one of my friends managed to make voice recognition work, so he's the one who speaks with a ghost

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Vefka said:

I simply don't. My mic setup is built-in laptop microphone plus broken cooler that constantly makes "brrrrrrr" sound. Only one of my friends managed to make voice recognition work, so he's the one who speaks with a ghost

Ah okay, I didn't realized it's that sensitive, I thought you could just plug in any microphone and there, you're done! So you will prob need an expensive one then?  

9 hours ago, TBD 🚬 said:

Ah okay, I didn't realized it's that sensitive, I thought you could just plug in any microphone and there, you're done! So you will prob need an expensive one then?  

Not really, you just need sound without bg noises. I have cooler noise, my other friend had a very loud TV, and other just had a very quiet mic. So that happened that only one friend has sound without noises

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Vefka said:

Not really, you just need sound without bg noises. I have cooler noise, my other friend had a very loud TV, and other just had a very quiet mic. So that happened that only one friend has sound without noises

great! I'm glad to find someone here who played the game so I could ask  about how to set it up :kirin:

• 3 months later...
On 2020-10-20 at 5:50 PM, EpicEnergy said:

I've seen YouTubers get scared over Phasmophobia. I'd recommend watching Markiplier's lately video on Phasmophobia, where he plays with two of his friends and one friend of his stays in the van while Markiplier and his second friend go into the mansion. It gets extremely scary that way, when players take the game seriously and one of the players stay in the van.

To answer the question presented, yes, multiplayer horror games can be scary. Some people won't get scared while others will, it depends on the individual and the game they are playing.

I was just thinking about Phasmophobia myself as I scrolled through this topic.

• Brohoof 2