Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv When do you think Nickelodeon went downhill?

Twilight Sparkle97

Does anybody agree that Nickelodeon has gone downhill in the past decade? I think that Nickelodeon was good before April 26, 2012. Before April 26, 2012, the TV schedule was good and they still used split screen credits after each program was over. But since April 26, 2012, the TV schedule changed and shortly after that, Nickelodeon discontinued split screen credits for certain programs and replaced them with on screen credits before permanently using on screen credits for all programs in 2015. To be honest, I kind of like the split screen credits designs Nick had in 2006 - 2009. I miss split screen credits on Nick. 

Here is the Nickelodeon weekday TV schedule during the week of April 16, 2012 in which I remember. 

7:00am Winx Club

7:30am 8:00am and 8:30am Spongebob Squarepants

9:00am - 2:00pm Nick: The Smart Place to Play block

2:00pm Spongebob Squarepants

2:30pm T.U.F.F Puppy

3:00pm Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness

3:30pm The Penguins of Madagascar

4:00pm Big Time Rush 

4:30pm Supah Ninjas

5:00pm Spongebob Squarepants

5:30pm Brand new The Penguins of Madagascar

6:00pm Icarly

6:30pm Victorious

7:00pm Spongebob Squarepants

7:30pm Spongebob Squarepants/Fred The Show, rotated every other weekday

And here is the Nickelodeon TV schedule on April 26, 2012 in which I remember

2:00pm 2:30pm and 3:00pm Spongebob Squarepants

3:30pm 4:00pm and 4:30pm Victorious

5:00pm and 5:30pm Spongebob Squarepants

7:00pm and 7:30pm Spongebob Squarepants

So the number of Spongebob airings per weekday went from 6 - 7 to at least 10 or more. That is too much Spongebob. The TV schedules has been similar since then but I recall when there was actually an improvement to the weekday TV schedule. During the first week of January 2015, the number of Spongebob airings got reduced to 4 per weekday and live actions shows took the hours 4pm - 8pm weekays. But that didn't last long, because Spongebob took the 4pm hour back on January 12. 

And lets not forget the terrible EVP in charge of the Nickelodeon content and programming: Elizabeth Murray. She was a terrible person in charge of the schedules. She started out good, but as the years progressed, she kept getting worse and worse in making the schedules. For the summers 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, she did not shorten the Nickelodeon Preschool block during all or most of the summer like she did compared to other summers. 2018 was the most lack of non preschool shows on the schedule. I did not like her decisions at all. She was replaced by Paul DeBenedittis in January 2019. Paul does seem better than Murray, but even Paul does seem like he's getting worse like Murray. There are signs that show why Paul might be getting worse, like the Nickelodeon summer schedule ending in mid August even though the summer bumpers and logo were still used until the day after Labor Day, and the Nick Jr on Nick block not being shortened on Labor Day. 

What are your thoughts? 

• Brohoof 2

I think the moment they put on shows like Drake and Josh is when they started their downward spiral. Drake and Josh is a good show, I do like it, but it just wasn't good for Nickelodeon. It started a trend of more "down to Earth" live action shows that simply didn't have the same appeal. Previous live action shows, like All That or Amanda Show, those were so quirky and random that they were essentially more family friendly versions of MadTV. There's other shows like Keenan and Kel that too were more wacky than anything. Drake and Josh and subsequent shows were too...I guess "real" with their overall setting. 

• Brohoof 1

Around the time they really started pushing the Dan Schneiderverse hard. After Drake and Josh was successful and went and made iCarly, they had to make everything tie back to both iCarly and Victorious

• Brohoof 2

Even heading into the 2000s, it kind of started there. I'll say probably around 2004-2005, because the SB movie came out which people say was the beginning of that show's decline, and the Orlando studios at Universal closed. Are there any 90s kids here who were lucky enough to go there and get a tour? :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 6:01 PM, Twilight Sparkle97 said:

Does anybody agree that Nickelodeon has gone downhill in the past decade? I think that Nickelodeon was good before April 26, 2012. Before April 26, 2012, the TV schedule was good and they still used split screen credits after each program was over. But since April 26, 2012, the TV schedule changed and shortly after that, Nickelodeon discontinued split screen credits for certain programs and replaced them with on screen credits before permanently using on screen credits for all programs in 2015. To be honest, I kind of like the split screen credits designs Nick had in 2006 - 2009. I miss split screen credits on Nick. 

Here is the Nickelodeon weekday TV schedule during the week of April 16, 2012 in which I remember. 

2:00pm Spongebob Squarepants

2:30pm T.U.F.F Puppy

3:00pm Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness

3:30pm The Penguins of Madagascar

4:00pm Big Time Rush 

4:30pm Supah Ninjas

5:00pm Spongebob Squarepants

5:30pm Brand new The Penguins of Madagascar

7:00pm Spongebob Squarepants

7:30pm Spongebob Squarepants/Fred The Show, rotated every other weekday

And here is the Nickelodeon TV schedule on April 26, 2012 in which I remember

2:00pm 2:30pm and 3:00pm Spongebob Squarepants

3:30pm 4:00pm and 4:30pm Victorious

5:00pm and 5:30pm Spongebob Squarepants

7:00pm and 7:30pm Spongebob Squarepants

So the number of Spongebob airings per weekday went from 6 - 7 to at least 10 or more. That is too much Spongebob. The TV schedules has been similar since then but I recall when there was actually an improvement to the weekday TV schedule. During the first week of January 2015, the number of Spongebob airings got reduced to 4 per weekday and live actions shows took the hours 4pm - 8pm weekays. But that didn't last long, because Spongebob took the 4pm hour back on January 12. 

And lets not forget the terrible EVP in charge of the Nickelodeon content and programming: Elizabeth Murray. She was a terrible person in charge of the schedules. She started out good, but as the years progressed, she kept getting worse and worse in making the schedules. For the summers 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, she did not shorten the Nickelodeon Preschool block during all or most of the summer like she did compared to other summers. 2018 was the most lack of non preschool shows on the schedule. I did not like her decisions at all. She was replaced by Paul DeBenedittis in January 2019. Paul does seem better than Murray, but even Paul does seem like he's getting worse like Murray. There are signs that show why Paul might be getting worse, like the Nickelodeon summer schedule ending in mid August even though the summer bumpers and logo were still used until the day after Labor Day, and the Nick Jr on Nick block not being shortened on Labor Day. 

What are your thoughts? 

Well I guess Paul is not getting worse like Murray after all since the Nick Jr on Nick block will be shortened during Thanksgiving break. 

When they stopped doing game shows to make room for more Nicktoons in the early 2000s. It was sad to see Nickelodeon Studios falling into disuse around that time. My childhood died when they closed it down.

• 5 months later...

Oh and they to do an even worse job localizing the Winx Club than 4kids and nearly took down the whole damn franchise, which is a startlingly impressive feat.

Nickelodeon's TMNT and Rise, is one of the few good things they've done right in the last few years

• 2 years later...
On 2021-04-24 at 4:09 PM, Jon the VGNerd said:

They continue to milk SpongeBob while completely ignoring other, good shows from the 90s and early 2000s altogether. Why Nickelodeon still exists to this day is beyond me.

Yeah, they relied too much on Spongebob. Fairly OddParents in second. I wish shows like Invader Zim got more attention by the network but I can understand why they killed it off at the time. Oh well.

Even though I was more of a Cartoon Network and Disney channel kid. I'd say it was 2002-2003. People blame Spongebob, but I feel like that door was opened by Jimmy Neutron and more kids sitcom styles shows rather than family cartoons like Rugrats, Hey Arnold or Rocket Power. The channel didn't grow with it's demographic. It regressed into little kids fare and shunted the teens onto TeenNick or The N where all the Dawson's Creek & SNL clones lived. 

Actually in hindsight, it feels like all the kids networks shifted focus to even younger demos in the early to mid-'00s. 

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to say the mid 1990s.  I began watching Nick back in the 80s.  You had shows like David the Gnome, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Spartacus and The Sun Beneath the Sea, Adventures of the Little Koala, Noozles, Pinwheel, Mister Wizard's World, Hey Dude, Eureeka's Castle, Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, Double Dare, and You Can't Do That on Television, to name a chunk of them.