Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hasbro takes down xxNightmaremoonxx.

CastletonSnob

Hasbro took down xxnightmaremoonxx.de, an alternative to yayponies.

They took down a site where people can watch the show, thus gaining new fans, instead of having to watch it on Discovery Family, a channel that isn't included in a lot of cable packages.

Why does Hasbro continually shoot themselves in the foot?

• Brohoof 3

Well, that site allows people to watch the show illegally, and that's not good, so of course they're going to shut it down and they're justified in doing so. If people want to watch the show, they should buy the episodes on Amazon or watch the show on Netflix or Hulu. That's probably what Hasbro wants people to do.

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

Because they get paid by the "legal" channels for the show. Companies think that everyone who downloaded something 1) would not buy it legally 2) would have bought it legally if there was no alternative.

While both of those are true for SOME people they are not true for others. Also, someone who downloaded the show could still buy toys and Hasbro would still get some money. But, I guess, not all the money.

I'm still waiting for the bluray release of MLP though.

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

If Hasbro would release a Blu-ray super box set of the entire series run, I would immediately delete all of my download.

I would keep my downloads, but would still buy the bluray box set. I have bought the movie and Equestria Girls blurays.

However, this is one of the reasons I archive a lot of stuff. There are no guarantees that something on the internet will be available tomorrow and no control over that, while it is entirely up to me if the stuff in my hard drives, tapes or disks will be available.

• Brohoof 2

Never heard of that site until now, not surprised it got taken down now that I know what it is. Not trying to be "that guy defending the evil corporation", just saying that you have to expect this kind of thing, always. Companies view themselves as the ones in the right protecting their IPs in situations like these, always. 

Internet and illegal downloads keep getting "dealt with", after some law change a few years back. While I can see Hasbro is losing out of having their show being spread on the internet, I don't see what they will win by having the show on just one platform, that only a selected few can watch?

20 minutes ago, Splashee® said:

While I can see Hasbro is losing out of having their show being spread on the internet, I don't see what they will win by having the show on just one platform, that only a selected few can watch?

They believe they will make more money that way.

2 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

I would keep my downloads, but would still buy the bluray box set. I have bought the movie and Equestria Girls blurays.

However, this is one of the reasons I archive a lot of stuff. There are no guarantees that something on the internet will be available tomorrow and no control over that, while it is entirely up to me if the stuff in my hard drives, tapes or disks will be available.

I prefer having the actual files under my control. Not a big believer in 'The Cloud'.  I like having the discs, DVD or Blu-ray, or my illegally downloaded files.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Not a big believer in 'The Cloud'.

"The Cloud" translation is "Someone else's computer". 

Local files and physical media are much more reliable than files on someone else's computer.

In this case, Hasbro did have the right to shut this site down because the law was on their side. Granted, it's not an ideal scenario given Hasbro is a big company and all, but then this kind of thing happens quite often and not much else can be done about it. Sure, it's disappointing to people who relied on it for watching episodes but then there are other official ways of doing so without relying on questionable means.

Actually, I don't think there are any official ways to watch Rainbow Roadtrip in the United States except a DVD from the UK. I made this thread here about it. Well, how am I supposed to legally watch Rainbow Roadtrip, then? How does Hasbro want me to watch it? Import the DVD? I live in the United States.

Doesn't there also exist, like, a clip show or something that aired for a few months after Season 9? Isn't there also, like, a new My Little Pony show ongoing right now? I don't know if there are any legal ways to watch those, either, but I haven't looked into those, yet.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:36 PM, CastletonSnob said:

Because Hasbro is a dumb faceless corporation that doesn't like anything or anyone infringing on their franchise properties, even if those things or people help draw in new viewers for their franchises. I usually think of what happened with Jan Animations and his Button Mash series that was taken down by Hasbro as being a good example of this. >_>

17 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

Because Hasbro is a dumb faceless corporation that doesn't like anything or anyone infringing on their franchise properties, even if those things or people help draw in new viewers for their franchises. I usually think of what happened with Jan Animations and his Button Mash series that was taken down by Hasbro as being a good example of this. >_>

And don't forget Fighting Is Magic...

Hasbro is just a dumb company that is always pulling out the law card...one day they will get their dues. 

• Brohoof 1

23 hours ago, Deae Rising Shine~ said:

I have netflix, but they can't bother to finally putr season 9 in tthere too, or bring a release box with all 9 seasons here, preferable with an english audio too. then people wouldnt need to use stuff like this.

They said it will come out on Netflix like around the end of 2020 or in the beginning of 2021. Of  course they used covid 19 as an excuse to not release the season when it ended months ago before covid became a big thing. Reasons why l said that because everytime when a new season ended, it will be released on Netflix like a week after the season ended. So there shouldn't be any problem because they had basically had 3 months to do it.