Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Movies (and other media) that should’ve never had sequels

Miss

A great movie, video game, book, etc. that was followed by a sequel, or sequels, or just other stories in general that sort of “ruined” or in general were disappointing.You feel it should’ve remained ONE AND DONE

This only applies to things that were the FIRST in the series. For example if you love the first three Star Wars movies but you think everything else after that shouldn’t have been made. THAT DOESNT COUNT. If you love “Star Wars/A New Hope” and everything after that you feel was disappointing/awful etc. then that counts. 

Some things come to my mind:

Alien, Wreck it Ralph, The Incredibles, Shrek, Insidious, Monsters Inc.

Edited by Miss
  • Brohoof 1

Mortal Kombat Annihilation. The first MK movie wasn't the greatest movie ever or anything but it was a fun and corny(to it's benefit) romp. Sequel is just a complete dumpster fire

Final Fantasy X was a great game with a beautiful ending, one of the best endings in the entire series and the sequel just shits over everything and gets really dumb with the girl power, charlies angels crap

Going from Perfect Dark to Perfect Dark Zero is absolutely tragic

Medal of Honor Warfighter. First game in the reboot(I think this counts) was just passable, it tried way too hard to be CoD, but with more polish it could do some good. But the second game was such a trainwreck, crappy story and filled with bugs, not only did it managed to sink the franchise, it killed its studio and it landed the SEALs involved in hot water for sharing classified information

The Force Unleashed 2. First game was janky but a lot of fun and could have been really cool to see expanded, then the second game turns the story into a shitty fanfic

And you know what? imma saying it. Super Mario Bros 2. And no I'm not talking about the USA, Doki-Doki game, that was awesome and anyone who talks shit deserves to be taken to a back alley and slapped repeatedly, and then get the grandma slapped repeatedly. I'm talking about Lost Levels, essentially a shitty rom hack designed by people who hated the audience that loved the first game and go out of their way to punish the players and make a miserable experience

I wanna say DMC because DMC2 was just that bad.....but without it we wouldn't have gotten DMC3 which is a masterpiece :huh:

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, Megas said:

Mortal Kombat Annihilation. The first MK movie wasn't the greatest movie ever or anything but it was a fun and corny(to it's benefit) romp. Sequel is just a complete dumpster fire

The first move is not just a classic, and perfectly cheesy. It also has a sound track that you can endlessly rave to. :kirin:

I didn't know it was called 'Annihilation'! I just called it "Mortal Kombat" the movie (where the part in quote is yelled out like in the theme song!). :ticking:

• Brohoof 2

Aliens and T2 both changed formats from their original films, with the originals being more horror/thriller than the action of the sequels. But I wouldn't give back any of the four. 

I would have said Bill & Ted didn't need a 3rd film, until I saw it. The world is a better place for having Bill & Ted 3. 

Edited by SomeponySparkle
  • Brohoof 1

Also wanted to add Predator

1 hour ago, Megas said:

The Force Unleashed 2. First game was janky but a lot of fun and could have been really cool to see expanded, then the second game turns the story into a shitty fanfic

Yea The Force Unleashed was fun to an extent, but the story wasn't that great. I do like what the game was trying to do: let you fuck shit up with the force. 

And the second one is exactly what you said. And you know just not as fun to play. 

• Brohoof 2

• Frozen ( number one disappointing sequel  that is a huge waste of time)
  • The incredible (14 years wasted for a weak villain and weak story plot)
  • Brohoof 1

Let's see....

Blair Witch Project: The sequel, which was not exactly a sequel yet called itself "Blair Witch 2" was a total cash grab and nothing else. Nothing made sense, the acting was horrible and there wasn't an ounce of horror, other than the movie's existence. 

Battlefield Bad Company: Bit of a complicated one here because Bad Company 2 did improve on the first game in every conceivable way...except for the story and characters and that ruined the campaign for me entirely. While the multiplayer was good fun, from what I remember, BC2 lost most of the charm from the original. It started throwing in cliche after cliche, military jargon from characters that would never care enough to even say that stuff and it was simply a pathetic attempt to cash in on the recently release MW2 which was the most popular game in the world at that time. BC2 felt soulless because of wanting that MW2 money.

REC: Possibly the best found footage horror film ever in my opinion, I had never seen it until this year though. Needless to say I was blown away by it and how it managed to terrify me without relying on anything paranormal. The sequel, REC 2, takes all of that and lights it on fire. Funny enough, the apparent general consensus that I seen from fans was that REC 3 and 4 are horrible but REC 2 is surprisngly good, hence why I bought it. It instead is awful. The acting, camera work and audio are all still spot on, but everything else was simply implemented so poorly. The plot continues almost immediately after the first one, but instead of giving us more of the same (which I would have been okay with honestly), they tried to make something new with the original formula and it was garbage. It went against what I said a bit ago about the first film being terrifying without using any kind of paranormal element and the plot in 2 goes into ridiculous bullshit so quick. I hated it after one viewing and the more I've thought of it, the more I despise it. The first film was basically perfect, no sequel needed. 

Terminator 2: One of the best films ever and as a result, studios are constantly trying to recapture that magic and success with each new Terminator film and they fail every time. Trying to capture T2's success again is their first mistake. It is painfully obvious that they won't succeed so they need to adopt a different mindset with the franchise.

Jurassic Park: Similar to T2. Jurassic Park was amazing and a massive hit, so they keep making sequels to exploit the name while never achieving the same magic of the first film. 

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: Mainly because I hated the first one. Them making a direct sequel to this game and also having the next Hyrule Warriors game be based solely in BOTW's world really makes me feel that Nintendo is going to milk that game for all it is worth. Really is a shame too because I couldn't stand the first game and getting more of that is an immediate no-go for me. 

• Brohoof 2

Borderlands 3... Nothing can compare to the fun that was Borderlands 2. That game really had it all. The lack of fun exploits and stale gameplay BL3 offers in comparison to 2 is really unfortunate. The builds for everything are lackluster and the gameplay for each of the characters is same-y. You get into a fight, kill a few mobs, use ability, and run around and kill everything as fast as possible. The exception to this is Zane, who acts as a support for the most part. In BL2 you have unique builds on unique characters. You can run a grenade build on Axton and run around throwing Fastballs everywhere blowing up any single enemy in your path. Or an anarchy Gaige build where you just Sham-Fleet to victory. Or even something basic like a Bee/Sandhawk combo on any character.

Anyway, BL3 shouldn't exist.

• Brohoof 2

31 minutes ago, Dark Bun said:

Borderlands 3... Nothing can compare to the fun that was Borderlands 2. That game really had it all. The lack of fun exploits and stale gameplay BL3 offers in comparison to 2 is really unfortunate. The builds for everything are lackluster and the gameplay for each of the characters is same-y. You get into a fight, kill a few mobs, use ability, and run around and kill everything as fast as possible. The exception to this is Zane, who acts as a support for the most part. In BL2 you have unique builds on unique characters. You can run a grenade build on Axton and run around throwing Fastballs everywhere blowing up any single enemy in your path. Or an anarchy Gaige build where you just Sham-Fleet to victory. Or even something basic like a Bee/Sandhawk combo on any character.

Anyway, BL3 shouldn't exist.

As an added bonus; In the case of me and my boyfriend, we can't even play the game. The game has crashed my Xbox One X multiple times and we've heard that problem still isn't fixed over a year later so we don't even bother now. Never had any issues to this level with any previous game in the series and BL3 is a fairly huge failure as a result. We've also experienced general game crashes, bugged quests and other issues. We got to level 27 and called it quits because of the constant technical problems. The story was a cringe inducing nightmare anyways so maybe it's for the best.

• Brohoof 2

36 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

As an added bonus; In the case of me and my boyfriend, we can't even play the game. The game has crashed my Xbox One X multiple times and we've heard that problem still isn't fixed over a year later so we don't even bother now. Never had any issues to this level with any previous game in the series and BL3 is a fairly huge failure as a result. We've also experienced general game crashes, bugged quests and other issues. We got to level 27 and called it quits because of the constant technical problems. The story was a cringe inducing nightmare anyways so maybe it's for the best.

I could write a few paragraphs detailing all the issues with this game, but it's honestly not worth it. And yeah.. the story was terrible. Remember when that one important character dies in the most unsatisfying and anti-climactic way about half-way through the game after the Rampager? That was a greeeeeeat scene. Not to mention all the completely unlikable characters (except for the robot bear guy, he was cool).

• Brohoof 1

Home Alone. Remember that classic movie about the little boy being left behind at his home while those robbers try to break in? I really liked the original, watched it a lot growing up, but like the three (I believe it's three) sequels and prequals that came out after the original were no good. :scoots: They just felt like soulless cash grabs that exploited the name of the original movie to get money. I think the same could be said of the Jurassic Park franchise, the original was really good, but then pretty much all the movies that came out after it (including the newer "Jurassic World" movies) have been pretty meh and don't do the original any justice. It's almost like they just don't know when to stop and they keep driving the franchise further into the ground with each new "reboot" or sequel that they make. :dry:    

• Brohoof 4

"Get Smart" Did you know it had a very short lived sequel series? Don Adams and Barbara Feldon were both in it, but so was...Andy Dick! As their son!

*SHUDDER* 

I only bought the DVD (only seven episodes were made before it was cancelled) when I found it at a church rummage sale, because I have the entire original series on DVD. I played an episode and one was enough.

• Brohoof 1

Some movies I can think of that haven't been mentioned:

• Iron Man (I mean Iron Man 2 & 3, not necessarily other MCU movies)
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Saw
  • Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • The Fox and the Hound
  • Taken
  • Pocahontas
  • Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Xe__or said:

Shit I forgot the 2; my bad

Well Terminator 2 (the terminator franchise) wouldn't count in this topic as it's supposed to be a franchise you felt should've been one and done. Terminator 2 is a sequel. You're not the only one who put it here tho. 

If one felt that Terminator should've stopped after the first film then that counts. 

• Brohoof 1