Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 probably won't be good.

CastletonSnob

I have absolutely no faith in G5 being as good as G4, or even good at all. Everything, from causing Faust to leave her own show, to taking down fan projects like Button Mash and Fighting is Magic, to seasons 6-9 of G4, to how mediocre the movie was, to Pony Life, tells me that the show succeeded in SPITE of Hasbro, not because of them, and Hasbro has no idea why people liked MLP: FiM in the first place. G5 won't be good unless they get a great team to work on it like they did for G4, and I just don't see that happening.

Edited by CastletonSnob
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe, maybe not; I won't be there to watch (I grew past MLP), that's for sure, but it's a bit soon to tell. Maybe some ambitious new writers will come along?

Edited by Xe__or

I know that feeling, and it's the worst part of wait-and-see situations. Before season 5, I had those days where I thought it was going to bomb majorly, so I compensated by assuring myself that someway, somehow it would be as big a success, if not greater, than season 4. I was right, and that's why I decided to end it there, so that if there were more seasons, I wouldn't have to worry. From that point on, I learned to be cautiously optimistic about these things.

I mean G5 not being as good as G4 is a given tbh.  G4 being as good and becoming as popular as it was was a stars aligned kind of event that anyone who’s expecting the same result again is most likely setting themselves up for major disappointment. 

My expectations of it is it’ll be decent enough.  

I liked G4 cause it got me attached to characters in a way no show has ever done for me before.  I’m definitely not gonna expect that result again. 

I just hope it’s decent, and I definitely understand your frustrations with Hasbro. I too wish MLP could be under some company better.  The show deserves to be controlled by someone so much better than Hasbro.  

15 minutes ago, AppleButt said:

I mean G5 not being as good as G4 is a given tbh.  G4 being as good and becoming as popular as it was was a stars aligned kind of event that anyone who’s expecting the same result again is most likely setting themselves up for major disappointment. 

My expectations of it is it’ll be decent enough.  

I liked G4 cause it got me attached to characters in a way no show has ever done for me before.  I’m definitely not gonna expect that result again. 

I just hope it’s decent, and I definitely understand your frustrations with Hasbro. I too wish MLP could be under some company better.  The show deserves to be controlled by someone so much better than Hasbro.  

Imagine how much more popular and successful MLP would be with a competent company.

5 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

I have absolutely no faith in G5 being as good as G4, or even good at all. Everything, from causing Faust to leave her own show, to taking down fan projects like Button Mash and Fighting is Magic, to seasons 6-9 of G4, to how mediocre the movie was, to Pony Life, tells me that the show succeeded in SPITE of Hasbro, not because of them, and Hasbro has no idea why people liked MLP: FiM in the first place. G5 won't be good unless they get a great team to work on it like they did for G4, and I just don't see that happening.

You forgot Hasbro giving Twilight wings and Equestria Girls. What i mean with that is, we clearly have a different, not so cute design, for the Equestria Girls characters, if you compare them to Lauren Faust's designs of the ponies (which are made to be cute and work for almost absolutely everypony, from children to adults). When I saw the documentary behind the scenes of Equestria Girls, and got to see the main designer for the character, and the over confidence in the art style, it made me understand that they were going to keep failing from now on. And I am not going to start with the Movie/Rainbow Roadtrip designs, those could as well be G5 or even G3 (who really would give them a chance it is wasn't for all the Rainbow Dash lovers out there who defend them, seriously?)

So, if you remove Lauren Faulst and Rainbow Dash from MLP, would you really be here? That would be a good topic, maybe I will make that one day!

I swear, the next person to complain about the final seasons will have to get through me because I’ll always defend everything about FiM! (Except for the students) :sneer:

It all depends on when material begins to get released from G5 that we’ll be able to jump to some kind of conclusion on whether it’s good or not. :adorkable: Hooves crossed it will be but we won’t know until then. ;)

Going to be fair about the Button Mash and Fighting is Magic thing.

They were SO ACCURATE to the show style, that if any parents took issue with the content, you know they’d think Hasbro was responsible. Most fanart is obviously fanart, but companies don’t like it when your derivative work can be mistaken for the real deal.

Fans aren’t on your payroll, nor do they have to run things by anyone, so they can put whatever they want in their content and launch it to the masses. And if any of the masses think it’s official, then you’re losing control of your brand image.

• Brohoof 1

I feel like they should have just continued Equestria Girls instead of using Pony Life as a sort of G4.5. Oh well. Just gotta remember that in the end, it's the toy dollars that matter most to Hasbro. I'll see what they have in store and give it a chance, but I have low expectations. 

If they get people who actually give a shit about what they're making they'll be fine

On 2020-10-27 at 9:44 AM, CastletonSnob said:

I think it's worth bringing up that the staff of S6-9 were very open about how much more freedom compared to the first 5. All the controversial decisions the fans accused Hasbro of doing, like Starlight's redemption, McFlurry, the Student Six, the Pillars, and a lot of other sketchy decisions, the staff openly stated were their ideas. Even the school, which they said was Hasbro's idea, leaks showed it was something the staff wanted to implement back in S6.  I'm willing to believe Hasbro went with the School setting just because they felt they could make a toy out of it. I'll give you the movie as it was really obvious that it had a troubled development, but the show going to shit was entirely on the staff. Heck, Pony Life has a couple of returning writers from both the main show and EQG and I've been enjoying it much more than S9. I'm willing to give G5 the benefit of the doubt if most of the people who were in charge of S6-9 don't touch G5 or are severely reigned in if they do return

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, Funtime Splashee said:

So, if you remove Lauren Faulst and Rainbow Dash from MLP, would you really be here? That would be a good topic, maybe I will make that one day!

I’d still watch it if it didn’t have Rainbow Dash even though I love her to death. 

Without Lauren Faust though?  Likely not. She was definitely a precious asset they had that made the show what it was in the first place. 

• Brohoof 1

Faust was gonna end FiM after 3 seasons, so a typical syndication run, so she didn't care either. She's just as corporate as the corporations themselves. That's what it all boils down to; Corporations. Whatever they want, they will get. Product be damned, fans be damned. If Hasbro decides to tell the fans to go f**k themselves with G5, then that's how it will be. That's what I think will happen.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

Faust was gonna end FiM after 3 seasons, so a typical syndication run, so she didn't care either. She's just as corporate as the corporations themselves. That's what it all boils down to; Corporations. Whatever they want, they will get. Product be damned, fans be damned. If Hasbro decides to tell the fans to go f**k themselves with G5, then that's how it will be. That's what I think will happen.

Woah! We cannot talk about Lauren Faust like this. She's a god.

I have been through this before. People was sure Pony Life would be okay if given a chance, but I gave it a chance. It sucked. Now it is going to be the same for G5.

Why does Gen 5 have to be 'better' or 'as good as' Gen 4?  Why can't Gen 5 just be good in its own right?  I don't believe a show has to be the best of the best to still be a good show.  Gen 4 fills a special place with a lot of the fandom and any attempt to replace it would be a futile effort on the part of the writing team.  Gen 4 will always be there and our favorite ponies with their adventures are available to us.  

Don't make a show with the purpose to overshadow the previous, just make a good show.  There isn't even a synopsis or trailer for judging yet, let's not beat it down before its even been created yet.  Give it a chance as its own show.

• Brohoof 3

If it weren't for Pony Life being less enjoyable than I expected I would have said Gen 5 was going to be awesome, but

now I'm worried that everypony will be "hip". 

On 10/27/2020 at 8:02 PM, Megas said:

All the controversial decisions the fans accused Hasbro of doing, like Starlight's redemption

Do you mean the way they presented it? 

Edited by Sparklefan1234

I am watching a DuckTales reboot from 2017, and they basically changed the design from round faces to square faces, but most stories are the same, and celebrity characters are introduced as quick jokes. They might do something similar for G5! :devious:

On 10/28/2020 at 4:53 PM, Rising Dusk said:

Why does Gen 5 have to be 'better' or 'as good as' Gen 4?  Why can't Gen 5 just be good in its own right?  I don't believe a show has to be the best of the best to still be a good show.  Gen 4 fills a special place with a lot of the fandom and any attempt to replace it would be a futile effort on the part of the writing team.  Gen 4 will always be there and our favorite ponies with their adventures are available to us.  

Don't make a show with the purpose to overshadow the previous, just make a good show.  There isn't even a synopsis or trailer for judging yet, let's not beat it down before its even been created yet.  Give it a chance as its own show.

The impact of G4 was basically an anomaly - the result of a variety of unique factors that won't apply to G5.

That's actually my biggest concern with G5, that they'll be tempted to try too hard to appeal to fans of G4. If that happens, the end result would likely hinder any efforts at creating something new, making it hard to bring in new fans or please existing fans.

As Twilight said at the end of "Suited for Success": If you try to please everypony, you often times end up pleasing nopony.

• Brohoof 1