Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news If you had to choose another Moon or Planet to live on, what would it be?

Props Valroa

Title says all, a few rules / clarifications. 

- Must be an object in our solar system
- You will be given the necessary resources to live on another celestial object
- You will magically have internet / ability to visit friends / family, and them visiting you
- You will be adapted to live on that celestial object

As for me, I have a few choices. Probably would go with Triton. 

1. Triton, the largest moon of Neptune. 

2. The Planet Pluto, it is a planet and always will be.

3. Callisto, the 4th largest main from Jupiter. 

Edited by Scar
  • Brohoof 1

By adapted do you mean I could survive on the celestial body with no issue, walk about without fear of floating off or being crushed under it's gravity, breath in the atmosphere or have an increased storage capacity and more efficient usage of air, or suffer exposure to the elements? Otherwise the place of choice hardly matters since I'd be bringing along a considerable piece of earth with me and it'd be like being home except when I look out of a window. If I am adapted in this way, do I require a spacesuit to visit earth again?

I enjoyed my time in eastern Washington, and often when going about the higher reddened exposed rocks, the cooled flows of basalt which would occasionally stick out of wheat fields like burnt castles, I'd have this feeling of being on a terraformed mars. As interesting as it was, every location was essentially the same geologically, so once you've seen one area, you've seen it all, and your rocks become boring really quickly. With the lack of like on other planets, this issue could be exponentially greater, as the degree of weathering it's had on the earth, including its impact on our weather systems, has changed our surface in ways no other event can. There are features, and some places have geological activity and corrosive sands or chemicals falling and blowing about, but we'd find the surface of most places to be relatively uniform.

In order to avoid as much boring uniformity as I can, I will go for Pluto! It's solid, therefore I can indeed scour it's surface. It's said to have one of the most diverse surfaces in the solar system, potentially still has volcanos, and is of a size where there's more land than I'd know what to do with, but still small enough that I could traverse a good portion.

• Brohoof 1

Mars all the way! It’s my favorite local planet and I would love to pitch my tent there, hike along Valles Merinares and explore the oceans just beneath the surface. Terraforming it would be fine in time, but I like it just the way it is to be honest.

I'd live on Titan; not only because it fits my person, but also because it would orbit the most gorgeous body in  the Solar System.

Plus I want to check if there is water under all that ice.

( why is this tagged news? )

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
13 hours ago, SharpWit said:

By adapted do you mean I could survive on the celestial body with no issue, walk about without fear of floating off or being crushed under it's gravity, breath in the atmosphere or have an increased storage capacity and more efficient usage of air, or suffer exposure to the elements? Otherwise the place of choice hardly matters since I'd be bringing along a considerable piece of earth with me and it'd be like being home except when I look out of a window. If I am adapted in this way, do I require a spacesuit to visit earth again?

I enjoyed my time in eastern Washington, and often when going about the higher reddened exposed rocks, the cooled flows of basalt which would occasionally stick out of wheat fields like burnt castles, I'd have this feeling of being on a terraformed mars. As interesting as it was, every location was essentially the same geologically, so once you've seen one area, you've seen it all, and your rocks become boring really quickly. With the lack of like on other planets, this issue could be exponentially greater, as the degree of weathering it's had on the earth, including its impact on our weather systems, has changed our surface in ways no other event can. There are features, and some places have geological activity and corrosive sands or chemicals falling and blowing about, but we'd find the surface of most places to be relatively uniform.

In order to avoid as much boring uniformity as I can, I will go for Pluto! It's solid, therefore I can indeed scour it's surface. It's said to have one of the most diverse surfaces in the solar system, potentially still has volcanos, and is of a size where there's more land than I'd know what to do with, but still small enough that I could traverse a good portion.

Yeah your definitely right about that for sure! I particularly like Pluto because it has ice plains. Triton would have a nice view of Neptune though.
plutoheader.jpg

Triton is also geologically active and has geysers on its surface.

iu.png?width=892&height=584

And clouds

iu.png

But Pluto has more than a few clouds. 

PlutoColor_COLOR.jpg?width=1367&height=584

Edited by Scar
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I have free choice to live anywhere then of course I'd pick a place where people wouldn't believe that we would be able to live on said planet. 

The Sun, Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Jupiter

Shit I'll live right in the Great Red Spot

But if you mean within given reason then I'd also say Triton! 

• Brohoof 1