Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where would you flee too?

Props Valroa

8 hours ago, WWolf said:

Because nobody wants to live there :P . Tornadoes, boomer sooners, politics, you name it :wacko: . Although OKC sure does have some... few decent areas. Also Whiskey Cake oh gosh delishus as eff :scoots: .

No plans on leaving :U ?

No kidding. All of it sucks, and that very much includes the Sooners. They are a bunch of jerks. I wish them loss in every single game they play, no matter who it is against.

I have no clue what whiskey cake is. Oklahoma City is not a good place to live. That area and all of the areas surrounding is a magnet for tornadoes.

Oh, I'm constantly thinking of moving. However, Oklahoma having the lowest cost of living, means that moving to a state with a higher cost of living would be quite an uphill climb. And pretty much any state that has just as low of a cost of living are other miserable southern states with horrible politics and climates. The only real exception seems to be Michigan. But the best of the best states - Northeastern and New England states are way out there and that breaks my heart.

My parents want to go "exploring" once the pandemic clears up, hopefully after then we can start making some kind of decision. Right now I'm thinking Michigan is the most feasible. I most certainly don't want to live in a state that ever voted for you-know-who, but at least they redeemed themselves a little this election, and if my only other choices are equally deplorable states to mine, the obvious is to go for one that at least has the capacity for doing the right thing.

If we aren’t talking about a scenario like nuclear apocalypse, staying within cities is actually a safer bet than duking it out in rural areas or the wilderness. Cities are typically where order is restored first, and even in the many instances of societal collapse, many cities continued to function as smaller city-states. It’s also the best chance to find other people to cooperate with – humans are fairly social creatures, after all. Lone wolf survivalists usually won’t last long.

Not to mention shopping malls, train stations, stadiums, etc. make some pretty defendable settlements in a pinch.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:57 PM, Envy said:

Oklahoma... *sighs* The only thing good about living here is the cost of living.

A part of me would rather live there then I would in New York state specifically due the lower cost of living, but the weather there is the real off putting part. I agree with its politics more than I do with my state, however the weather is the real off putting part to say the least. The lower cost of living is surely tempting...I'm afraid that I don't know what a 'Sooner' is though.

As for realistic moving and such, I'm not sure where I would realistically want to move. I hate New York's way of taxes and politics but my whole life has been based around the area where I live. I'd probably move to either Maine, Missouri, or something. I am staying as far from possible from the West Coast...I hate literally everything about it haha. Maine is a very wonderful state. 

If we are talking about moving SOLEY based on taxes and economy, well, heres the chart for you. Income tax in New York is the 2nd worst. 
Total State Government Tax Revenue By Type in 2015

Edited by Califorum

4 hours ago, Califorum said:

A part of me would rather live there then I would in New York state specifically due the lower cost of living, but the weather there is the real off putting part. I agree with its politics more than I do with my state, however the weather is the real off putting part to say the least. The lower cost of living is surely tempting...I'm afraid that I don't know what a 'Sooner' is though.

Oklahoma is hardline conservative. Every single county votes conservative every election. It's not at all a place to go to if you want to find somewhere that is less liberal but also not crazy conservative. Oklahoma is far right. As I've said before, Oklahomans would vote for the devil if he had an R next to his name.

If you want to move to the crappy state, be my guest. Just let us make a trade and I can move to your state, assuming it's New York? Sounds waayyyyy better in like every single way aside from cost of living.

A 'Sooner' in the context of what we're talking about refers to the University of Oklahoma (there is a separate historical context). Stereotypically OU sports fans (especially football) are very arrogant and constantly in-your-face. They think they're all that and it's so hilarious to see them always stumble in the end. If New York doesn't have a sports culture (I wouldn't know), you'd be surprised to move to Oklahoma. People are very wild about it around here.

Edited by Envy

14 hours ago, Califorum said:

If we are talking about moving SOLEY based on taxes and economy, well, heres the chart for you. Income tax in New York is the 2nd worst.

That chart is incredibly misleading because it is measuring total tax revenue, not the tax percentage or even taxed revenue per capita. Furthermore, taxes not only vary by state but by county and municipality, and many states gain tax revenue through different means – for example, Oregon has no sales tax, while Washington has no income tax. Different places also have different costs of living, even in the same state, so in practice taxes can vary wildly. Your cost of living and taxes if you live in NYC could be significantly different if you lived in Syracuse.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Anneal said:

That chart is incredibly misleading because it is measuring total tax revenue, not the tax percentage or even taxed revenue per capita. Furthermore, taxes not only vary by state but by county and municipality, and many states gain tax revenue through different means – for example, Oregon has no sales tax, while Washington has no income tax. Different places also have different costs of living, even in the same state, so in practice taxes can vary wildly. Your cost of living and taxes if you live in NYC could be significantly different if you lived in Syracuse.

Regardless, the state tax laws still apply.

1 hour ago, SparklingSwirls said:

I don’t know a thing about surviving in the wilderness so I’d probably have a better shot if I just stayed put or went to another city, or maybe my hometown in the middle of nowhere would finally be good for something...

My town is in the middle of no where as well. I feel like I am safe. Cities aren’t the place to be since crowded and when food supply gets cut people loot.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:59 PM, Envy said:

Oklahoma is hardline conservative. Every single county votes conservative every election. It's not at all a place to go to if you want to find somewhere that is less liberal but also not crazy conservative. Oklahoma is far right. As I've said before, Oklahomans would vote for the devil if he had an R next to his name.

If you want to move to the crappy state, be my guest. Just let us make a trade and I can move to your state, assuming it's New York? Sounds waayyyyy better in like every single way aside from cost of living.

A 'Sooner' in the context of what we're talking about refers to the University of Oklahoma (there is a separate historical context). Stereotypically OU sports fans (especially football) are very arrogant and constantly in-your-face. They think they're all that and it's so hilarious to see them always stumble in the end. If New York doesn't have a sports culture (I wouldn't know), you'd be surprised to move to Oklahoma. People are very wild about it around here.

Sorry I never saw your reply here!

From what your saying it doesn't sound like too much of a nice place to live. I don't know anything about sports so I don't pay attention to it really, but it sounds like your state takes it more seriously than mine which sounds annoying. I also imagine it gets really hot there for some reason, no snow at all. The main thing I consider in states is the amount of taxes, the weather. Just so happens that all the states in the Northeast have higher taxes than most, with the exception of New Hampshire that has no Sales or Income tax as far as I know, so I'd rather be in New Hampshire as opposed to your Oklahoma. 

If there was a such thing as a state exchange program, we could switch places and see how we like each others places. I'd rather not get too political here but for me personally Oklahoma sounds great because it is cheap but everything else I've heard about it it basically reeks. I want to go somewhere less liberal, but not crazy conservative, I'm not like that. I would avoid the deep south since of the shitty weather, hurricanes, and crazy conservatives. I want to be somewhere moderate, not crazy one way or the other, and with low income, sales, and property taxes.

If you want to move to the Northeast, move to New Hampshire. It has none of the issues you face, has no sales or income tax. New York, you don't want to be here since the cost of living is so dang high. You'd be better off with New Hampshire since it is less, giving you less of a hard time adjusting. If you came here, with the tax rate and cost of living being so high here, you would be in for real shock.

Personally, I'd move into a small New Hampshire town in the far north where there is no cities or anybody around. I want to be in the middle of nowhere (but not the point commutes and trips take a long time).

But as other people have said here, other planets are an option so I would like to get the fuck off this planet with my friends, family, and everything I need, as long as I could have a way to connect to the internet and connect with my fellow shit slinging bipedal apes. 

Edited by Califorum

5 hours ago, Califorum said:

Sorry I never saw your reply here!

From what your saying it doesn't sound like too much of a nice place to live. I don't know anything about sports so I don't pay attention to it really, but it sounds like your state takes it more seriously than mine which sounds annoying. I also imagine it gets really hot there for some reason, no snow at all. The main thing I consider in states is the amount of taxes, the weather. Just so happens that all the states in the Northeast have higher taxes than most, with the exception of New Hampshire that has no Sales or Income tax as far as I know, so I'd rather be in New Hampshire as opposed to your Oklahoma. 

If there was a such thing as a state exchange program, we could switch places and see how we like each others places. I'd rather not get too political here but for me personally Oklahoma sounds great because it is cheap but everything else I've heard about it it basically reeks. I want to go somewhere less liberal, but not crazy conservative, I'm not like that. I would avoid the deep south since of the shitty weather, hurricanes, and crazy conservatives. I want to be somewhere moderate, not crazy one way or the other, and with low income, sales, and property taxes.

If you want to move to the Northeast, move to New Hampshire. It has none of the issues you face, has no sales or income tax. New York, you don't want to be here since the cost of living is so dang high. You'd be better off with New Hampshire since it is less, giving you less of a hard time adjusting. If you came here, with the tax rate and cost of living being so high here, you would be in for real shock.

Personally, I'd move into a small New Hampshire town in the far north where there is no cities or anybody around. I want to be in the middle of nowhere (but not the point commutes and trips take a long time).

Indeed. The South has the worst weather. I don't know how anyone lives on the Southeastern states bordering the gulf. They have hurricanes, bad tornado outbreaks, and miserable, hot, humid weather all year long. Oklahoma has some of that (not really hurricanes, they tame before getting this far up), but trust me, a New Yorker would be... disappointed? Like you don't get the true Southeast eternally warm climate, but you also don't get four seasons. Our winter is like an Autumn or Spring up North, I imagine.

The problem is that New Hampshire is also super expensive. It's not as far up there as New York, but Oklahoma has an incredibly low cost of living, right near the bottom. I'm not sure we could even afford an apartment up there. But the hope is that once the pandemic calms down and we all are vaccinated, my family will take a trip around the Northeast. My parents definitely like New Hampshire. I'm sure it's gorgeous. However, I'm afraid that it's more conservative than the other NE states, and that concerns me. We want to get far away from Trumpism. I know that's impossible, but if I'm spending a fortune to live in a state, it won't be in a blue state that Trump thought he could flip.

My current thinking is our only option to escape pure Republican territory is Michigan. The weather would be nice, too.

EDIT: Just realized I had already posted thinking about Michigan. Lol.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

@Envy

The weather there just sounds awful. As someone who has never experienced anything else than New York weather I'd find your weather fascinating for a short time but then I'd quickly get sick of it.

Edited by Califorum