Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Advice wanted on starting on comics

Stardust

Id like advice from people who know anything about working on comics (digitally).

I'm gonna be attempting to work on some comic panels again. There are quite a few apects I struggle with.

The main things I think of that are a struggle:

-Consistent colour pallete and style. That avoids overstatuation and colour clash

- Fonts and typing (to use hand written fonts or)

- not losing motivation on colouring background

(-Some of the lineart is a bit messy but I think at least that I can improve over time. )

Medibang is my program of choice and I think I like it. I'm also working on perspective a bit. Atm I know not everything will be quite right but I kinda wanna do something at least alright and it is pretty hard. I'm getting the idea of how to draft panels and all though. Sometimes I start my stuff on paper first and that. I think one of the problems with comics is there is a lot to think about.

Any resources people know for working on comics would be helpful. I kinda got to the point I feel a bit blocked. I don't have a lot of motivation and tend to give up easily but I feel like a bit of advice might help. If anyone has any haha. If not I will try again anyway. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

Sup.... I can't say mine is successful or considered worked on comics though, but just have fun in it... Oh and one big help is actually someone else is helping with your comics... I have help with fail safe. It lessens work stress and adds more motivation.

• Brohoof 1

For consistent palettes, study color theory. Also, try out keeping references for your characters with their palette on it. That way, you can simply copy the colors of the palette and then give it the treatment after you have colored (adding shading and changing the tone according to light sources/filters).

In order to have non-clashing palettes, once again, color theory is the answer, and you can always help yourself with palette tools to help you pick the most suitable colors. Most are free and you can google them.

• Brohoof 2

On 11/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, Jesse Terrence said:

For consistent palettes, study color theory. Also, try out keeping references for your characters with their palette on it. That way, you can simply copy the colors of the palette and then give it the treatment after you have colored (adding shading and changing the tone according to light sources/filters).

In order to have non-clashing palettes, once again, color theory is the answer, and you can always help yourself with palette tools to help you pick the most suitable colors. Most are free and you can google them.

I studied some of the starting basics of colour theory the types of matches tetradic etc and all but still get confused haha there seems to be so much to it. But might have to go over it again, applying it and that.

Palettes tools sounds useful. And keeping the references and colour palette together seems a good idea. I'll keep in mind that.

On 11/11/2020 at 4:34 PM, Kujamih said:

Sup.... I can't say mine is successful or considered worked on comics though, but just have fun in it... Oh and one big help is actually someone else is helping with your comics... I have help with fail safe. It lessens work stress and adds more motivation

I'll try to have fun :3

I think I need to rewrite the story again lol and start over oof but yeah. I think i'm gonna write a little script outline before starting out again and try and set the pace better. Also if you want help with your comic too lemme know not sure how I can but yup. 

Edited by flurry

Hey... How bout this ....make a front cover.... Your comics wont be read by people if they arent drawn into your cover... I mean whats the point of your comic if no obe reads it? Thats where your comics cover title shines and does its job.

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, flurry said:

I studied some of the starting basics of colour theory the types of matches tetradic etc and all but still get confused haha there seems to be so much to it. But might have to go over it again, applying it and that.

You don't have to follow them to a T, though. You can play with different shades of it. Just remember to keep few saturated colors and balance contrasts. Is always nice to have a single "highlight" color that will come out easier to the eye due its higher saturation than a cluster of saturated colors in which contrast is too much and gets tiring to the eye.

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Hey... How bout this ....make a front cover.... Your comics wont be read by people if they arent drawn into your cover... I mean whats the point of your comic if no obe reads it? Thats where your comics cover title shines and does its job.

Tru but then I probably won't be making the front cover till later tbh lol I dunno I seen a lot of webcomics without one at least to start then later they make it. I'll probably make some general art too tho to attract others. I kinda feel like making that kinda art detracts from me working on the comic and getting the style right ;P  I did draft some ideas out before on the sort of thing I would want though but ultimately I kinda want the story out right first and at least a few pages. But yea that kinda thing is good. I'll probs start work on the first page then at least I will have something but there is always an urge for me to redo everything :c i think thats a reason for me to keep the stories short enough to manage so I can do new works.

I'm writing a rough script. Gonna try to keep the story short enough to work with. I think the problem is I kinda have art block too as well as I only have the weekend to work on it my dad usually asks me to do things so I don't feel at comfort or Im feeling unmotivated and I kinda screwed over my previous comics but those were years ago so I have a better idea now. Also I had some rough sketches which I misplaced oops I think I will take photographs when I find them and try to make something out of them. Once I get stuff in order I think I can continue oof. At least I think I can get the colours better this time.

Edited by flurry