Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A way to have a Derpy episode without upsetting anyone.

Vega

(edited)

I freaken love Derpy and I have a disability, it's Asperger Syndrome. The people who find this offensive, are in fact offensive to people like me with a disability in trying to silence people like me with disabilities.

I even made a poorly made Youtube video to rant about this whole Derpy Controversy.

Also let's not forget Crackle? No one seemed to be offended by him, hmm strange?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS5_IFsFZsc&list=UUBMiJwwa1_wccKbAJljIbZQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/media]

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

I think there is a way to have an episode about Derpy that is not only inoffensive, but actually very positive. The plot would be focused on Derpy and how her eyes handicap her and cause her to be made fun of. The climax of the show would be Derpy solving a problem in Ponyville despite her handicap. The morals of the story would be that people with physical handicaps should be treated with sympathy and kindness, and that with determination, perseverance, and the help of one's friends, one can overcome physical shortcomings and achieve one's dreams. Not only is Derpy not offensive in this concept, she's a very positive role model. She wouldn't have to be a Mary Sue either; she could still act silly, love muffins, and be a real character. The morals of the story could also be quite deep and nuanced depending on the direction the writers went with it. Quite frankly, I see no reason why this concept would offend anyone; in fact, I think that an episode like this could potentially bring quite a bit of critical acclaim to the writers.

Posted Image

This pleases Derpy; as a reward for your genius, she offers you this muffin and eternal friendship! B)

LOL, great and very coherent, well thought-out idea buddy! I'd love to see that!! Here's hoping Hasbro's got the balls to make a Derpy episode, especially like that, a reality! :D

I wonder if this is the big episode Tara Strong says we'll absolutely freak out over. . .

The thing is, however, Political Correctness is starting to influence a lot of what we see on television. And it sucks terribly because it filters out reality. It shows perfection, and things that aren't perfect are wrong, which kindles such prejudice against those who challenge the status quo. Back in the earlier cartoon shows, however, this censor didn't exist and many times life lessons dealing with grim realities were taught quite commonly. Theres even a special episode from Loony Tunes that centers on Drug Addiction. Animaniacs teased and prodded the censors, trying to keep as close to the line without crossing it and making the show mature.

MLP is a revival of that mindset, in my opinion, where it reiterates many virtues pretty much anyone has to learn growing up to live a happy life. However, it came at a time when television is being widely controlled and dimming down in intelligence, so it must face greater challenges. Derpy was a victim of this conflict, and it was mainly because one can take her cameo as a joke about disabled people.

However, if an episode focuses on treating disabled people with respect, and that they themselves are special people with personalities, critics can't touch it. If Hasbro can't do it though, because Derpy's reputation for certain people is already under fire, then at least, let fans make an episode themselves. i for one would thoroughly enjoy such an episode. It would probably be one of the most touching yet.

So I'm still clinging to the hope that Hasbro will consider this for Season 3. They did say it would blow everyone's minds. A "whole new level of freak out" as Tara put it, would certainly fit for something like this.

• Brohoof 1

Too bad the only way to have a proper Derpy episode would be for people to actually learn how to (GASP) get over it.

Seriously, everything is taken as an offence to people these days. It's ridiculous. Especially considering the term "derp" doesn't in any way pertain to mentally disabled folks (it actually began as a jibberish term on South Park), it just goes to show the lengths people will go to censor whatever they can because they feel they're entitled.

Of course we could always fall back on naming Derpy Ditsy Doo in the show. I don't see any problem with that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Too bad the only way to have a proper Derpy episode would be for people to actually learn how to (GASP) get over it.

Seriously, everything is taken as an offence to people these days. It's ridiculous. Especially considering the term "derp" doesn't in any way pertain to mentally disabled folks (it actually began as a jibberish term on South Park), it just goes to show the lengths people will go to censor whatever they can because they feel they're entitled.

Of course we could always fall back on naming Derpy Ditsy Doo in the show. I don't see any problem with that.

It's an attractive option to be sure. At least in theory.

But where does this censorship end? When are those people satisfied? Do we have to segregate schools again because it's offensive to look at handicapped people? Should we only allow people with blonde hair and blue eyes into society, because anyone else might 'offend' someone? Are we just going to put people with any kind of handicap into camps?

Hear me and hear me well. This has happened before, and can happen again.

Edited by SBaby

(edited)

there is no legal LAW saying you can't have Derpy. They're concerned about viewer numbers. Since the ditzies don't make up the majority of the pop that won't really make a difference.

THERE WILL BE DERPY

OR THERE WILL BE CHERRY JELLY

the whole anti-derpy thing sounds like nerdy college students from Cracked trying to argue why Batman is not a hero because they have nothing better to do and are clearly more heroic than Bruce Wayne will ever be.

Edited by glitterlicious

(edited)

the whole anti-derpy thing sounds like nerdy college students from Cracked trying to argue why Batman is not a hero because they have nothing better to do and are clearly more heroic than Bruce Wayne will ever be.

It's true. But those few people are currently holding this character and the ideal she stands for hostage.

That's why we need a Very Special Episode. You can't get one of those pulled, and if anyone tried, they'd just look like horrible monsters to the general public. I've spoken to storyboard writers on that issue. They literally call it their 'secret weapon'. No joke.

Edited by SBaby

I have a suggestion. what about making a derpy episode for a FAMILIAR audience?

what im trying to say is, have hasbro give us a derpy episode that is avaible only to the bronies. that its posted on the forums here or something. if the general public cant accept derpy, than give her a spot in a place that KNOWS her.

I believe that no matter what it is, pony or not. Someone is gonna get offended. There is not a single thing in this world that isn't offensive to someone, somewhere. No matter how insignificant the reason. Some people are just waiting around to complain about things. A Derpy episode will offend someone, even if her name was changed for people who didn't get the whole Derpy thing. The best anyone can do is make an episode as least offensive as possible. Normally by using things that if someone did complain they should feel bad about doing so, or at least be challenged by the majority. However I feel that the OP is on the right track as far as a Derpy Episode that most people will like.

I think there is a way to have an episode about Derpy that is not only inoffensive, but actually very positive. The plot would be focused on Derpy and how her eyes handicap her and cause her to be made fun of. The climax of the show would be Derpy solving a problem in Ponyville despite her handicap. The morals of the story would be that people with physical handicaps should be treated with sympathy and kindness, and that with determination, perseverance, and the help of one's friends, one can overcome physical shortcomings and achieve one's dreams. Not only is Derpy not offensive in this concept, she's a very positive role model. She wouldn't have to be a Mary Sue either; she could still act silly, love muffins, and be a real character. The morals of the story could also be quite deep and nuanced depending on the direction the writers went with it. Quite frankly, I see no reason why this concept would offend anyone; in fact, I think that an episode like this could potentially bring quite a bit of critical acclaim to the writers.

Still, the show is for little kids so... :o

i guess you could do some thing like that

there was an episode of static shock where 1 character had to save the day but he had dyslexia

(now lets see if anyone even knows what im talking about)

(edited)

i guess you could do some thing like that

there was an episode of static shock where 1 character had to save the day but he had dyslexia

(now lets see if anyone even knows what im talking about)

Haven't heard anyone mention that show in years. Anyway, I always thought of her name as Ditzy "Derpy Hooves" Doo..

Technically, isn't calling someone ditzy "offensive" anyway? Hasbro probably would have gotten flak even if she weren't called Derpy.

Edited by Tupin86
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

If you start having to pander to every person that might be offended, you may as well do nothing. Someone will look for something to be offended by. Just look at Falwell insisting that Teletubbies was gay propaganda, or the Comics Code that clamped down tightly on a particular medium simply because some people were offended, or how certain issues even now have to be tip-toed around just to avoid the censors and people from calling for a boycott or a ban.

Edited by Random User

(edited)

If you start having to pander to every person that might be offended, you may as well do nothing. Someone will look for something to be offended by. Just look at Falwell insisting that Teletubbies was gay propaganda, or the Comics Code that clamped down tightly on a particular medium simply because some people were offended, or how certain issues even now have to be tip-toed around just to avoid the censors and people from calling for a boycott or a ban.

Exactly. There's no pleasing everybody. So you please the majority. If you 'play it safe' all the time, it may work in the short term but sooner or later, people will look to companies and franchises that are more innovative. This is a scary prospect, but it's statistically and historically true. Only about 1 in ten children's cartoons last for more than three seasons. And this is one of the reasons.

Edited by SBaby

(edited)

This is a great Idea, but political correctness is so rediculously prevalent in our society, that even if we devolved our language into a system of snorts and grunts, some idiot would get offended.

But who cares about them? I sure don't.

MAKE THIS EPISODE!

I freaken love Derpy and I have a disability, it's Asperger Syndrome. The people who find this offensive, are in fact offensive to people like me with a disability in trying to silence people like me with disabilities.

I even made a poorly made Youtube video to rant about this whole Derpy Controversy.

Also let's not forget Crackle? No one seemed to be offended by him, hmm strange?

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS5_IFsFZsc&list=UUBMiJwwa1_wccKbAJljIbZQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/media]

I have Aspergers Too!

Aspergers-hoof.

Edited by zzuxon