Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Bugs Have Invaded Your House?

EpicEnergy

Over the summer there was an outside cat that somehow got in the attic and died. There were hundreds of maggots in my closet, room, and other rooms of the house and we ripped up all the carpet and removed all the dead and live maggots, it was disgusting. 

• Brohoof 1

Gnats. 

We bought farm fresh corn but didn't shuck and wash it right away. So when we did a few days later, we ended up with a bunch of gnats hatching in our pipes and clouds of them coming up through the kitchen and bathroom. We set up flypaper over the sink and in the pantry in addition to small traps of apple vinegar with dish soap mixed in. 

Nothing too heavy I guess. My first step dad had cellar spiders, sugar ants, and some kind of maggots in one of his places. Don't know what they were feeding on since they were under a pile of dry cardboard. At a later place, the apartment next door had roaches and a few had gotten in, so he sprinkled some powder to prevent them from getting under his door in the shared hallway. What he hadn't thought about was that the roaches could crawl into our shoes which he made us leave in said hallway for some reason, so I unknowingly brought one back to my mother's and freaked us out when we spotted it on the wall.

At my dad's place he had a fly infestation at one point because there were a few rats and one ate some poison and died in a wall, so fly paper hung like streamers in the kitchen until they had their fill. Also there's always been plenty of spiders in his place.

My mom's house gets fruit flies annually from harvesting her garden and making numerous apple pies, all which a tract them in swarms. The cats drag in a slug now and then and mayflies visit during the summer. I once got some other type of fly community infesting my room because they liked my potted plants and a fish filter I should have cleaned/thrown out much sooner.

An old condo of ours had a wasp infestation once and we couldn't get inside because they were everywhere and my mom is deathly allergic.

Current place has had a handful of spiders and we had fruit flies once because I let some bananas sit too long, otherwise we've been in the clear.

Not sure if 'invaded' is the best word, but occasionally some small swarms of fruit flies occur. Probably from the dirt of my plants. And every now and then there are some silverfishes in the bathroom. Nothing too major or out of ordinary, luckily 

Had a lot of centipedes (some very big ones) in the downstairs bathroom/shower at my old house. I would always try to avoid that bathroom if possible :P 

Other than that mostly just fruit flies, some tiny spiders and gnats. Haven’t had to deal with roaches thankfully.

A couple months ago, I kept seeing gnats in my apartment. Thought they might be fruit flies so I made a little trap out of apple cider vinegar and dish soap (which is, in theory, supposed to drown the little dudes), but it did nothing to help. They finally disappeared when the weather started getting colder. Every now and then I see a spider and the other day I caught a pillbug running around on the bathroom floor.

My area had a ton of moths this summer, apparently due to some migration that was happening. So I would regularly find them in the apartment, alive or occasionally dead in a windowsill. 

On 11/18/2020 at 3:04 PM, EpicEnergy said:

For me, there have been spiders

I suppose you guys have a lot of large spiders down south there in North Carolina. I remember one time when I was a lot younger my family went to Arkansas for a week and we stayed in this small cabin, and one night while we were all sitting around the TV watching the movie Matilda this HUGE FREAKING SPIDER literally the size of my hand just casually crawls out from under the reclining chair I'm sitting in. My dad had to smash his boot over the spider several times to kill it. Freaking grossest, icky thing ever, yuck :scoots: 

As for my house up here in Minnesota the worst we've ever had were a few mice in the garage and some ants in the kitchen. Luckily our spiders are tiny up north here :D  

I once had a firefly in my room. This was the first time I could see the full animal and not only the light. Fireflies are my favorite insects because I love their green light. I also have sometimes ladybugs in my room. And besides this, moths, flies, mosquitos, crane flies, wasps and hornets. Usual animals I don't want to have in my room because they can be really annoying. Usually, I try to bring them out without hurting them ... except for mosquitos, but only because they attack me. Sometimes, I have different types of bugs in my room who I don#t know the name of. And also sometimes grasshoppers. 

Spider, yeah, they are also often in my room. I have no problem with them. Spiders in germany are not dangerous and even helpfull. 

• 1 month later...

Carpet beetles in my bedroom. However there’s also the wonderful wasps that build their yearly spring-summer nest in the vent/ceciling space right above my room. Hoping they don’t find their way into the house.