Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web New YouTube ToS.

CastletonSnob

A few days ago, YouTube updated their ToS, and it's apparently got some people mad.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/youtube-ads-channels-no-revenue-sharing-1234834816/

YouTube, in an expansion of its advertising business, will begin serving up ads on channels that will not receive a cut of the revenue.

In a Nov. 18 update to its terms of service, YouTube added a new section that says users grant the service “the right to monetize your Content on the Service (and such monetization may include displaying ads on or within Content or charging users a fee for access).” However, the agreement “does not entitle you to any payments,” the latest TOS says.

The addition of that new provision comes as YouTube said that starting today, “we’ll begin slowly rolling out ads on a limited number of videos from channels not in YPP,” referring to the longstanding YouTube Partner Program that lets eligible channels monetize their content, including getting a share of revenue for ads served against their videos.

• Brohoof 1

On one hand, I can understand that Youtube wants to make money from those videos as well, so maybe now such videos will not be buried. On the other hand, I use Adblock anyway, so I don't care.

I guess if someone wants their video to be ad-free, they an make it "unsuitable for advertisers" - then Youtube will probably not be able to put its own ads there as well.

• Brohoof 3

This won't affect me since I have an built-in ad blocker as part of Brave browser, and anyone that doesn't enable ads on their videos at all like Jim Sterling (All of the money he normally makes is through his Patreon) will also be unaffected.

• Brohoof 1

Youtube is providing a free service and up until now was asking for basically nothing in return for hosting hundreds of petabytes worth of videos. I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner. Sure they still made money from their existing partnership program and recently Youtube Premium, but I guess there's always more profit to be had somewhere.

The real shitty thing is not giving ANYTHING to the video creators, not even <10% of the cut. 

• Brohoof 3

12 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

"New" 

Lol. Youtube got worse again. What else is new? :fluttershy:

ok one I just LOVE you have Sagara Sanosuke as your avi :BrightMacContent:

And yeah its youtube,  no shock.

• Brohoof 1

This is YouTube's eventual downfall. Especially with their inability to moderate comments along with wrongfully banning other creators for BS reasons, once a huge lawsuit drops down on them, it will mean the end of YouTube and for StoryFire to start shining.

• Brohoof 2

YouTube consistently keeps forgetting that they pretty much own a miniscule amount of vids. Their funds come from creativity of others, there is just that far you can push the hurdle for both creators and audience to become tired of your bs.

Should people cease posting content there and move elsewhere, it would quickly make YT rethink their approach.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's a pretty crappy thing to do ngl. YouTube does technically have the right to do this, as it is their platform, but.... it's a pretty greedy crappy thing to do none the less, and it hurts content creators. Channels that make a one-hit viral video for example may not be eligible for their ad partner program, however YouTube will now just stick ads onto their video regardless, and that creator will see zero money from the ads running on their their own video, that they may have put a lot of hard work into. This will also affect music creators who push out free un-copyrighted music onto the platform ad-free, meaning that all the hours they put into making their music and the millions of views their videos get may now be used to show ads they don't want in the first place on their videos, once again with themselves seeing zero of the money. The whole thing seems really scummy to me, YouTube doesn't need to be doing this, they get plenty of money from the hundreds of advertisers that already play ads on their site, now they're just purposefully taking advantage of the content creators on the site to make a few extra dollars. :unamused:    

• 1 month later...