Would you hug a sheep or would it feel too weird since it’s food?

SkyMame92

People love hugging their cats, dog or pets like a horse. But i'd imagine it would feel odd when a animal is kind of food. But just curious to how you think about it? I do love sheep though, they are fun little animals.

cute-animal-pictures-mom-lamb-sheep-hugg

It's not that weird. I've enjoyed petting sheep, as well as pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, and goats, despite having eaten all but the last. Animals are just generally fun to pet.

Sheep like any animal can also be useful outside of food, most notably in the production of wool, but also in making milk and maintaining lawns.

I have preference that the animals I consume be well treated and be at least a year in age but that's difficult given US standards and economic circumstances, as well as popular practices. As a result, I don't really eat sheep because of its limited availability and being in the form of lamb, but I have nothing against eating that species or most others when they were raised for that purpose.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fact that they’re food wouldn’t be a deterrent from me hugging them. If I was so-inclined I’d just as readily hug a cow or a pig, not that I’d go out of my way to do so. Sheep are cute and all that, but any lack of physical affection on my part wouldn’t be based on dinner. I just don’t really want to hug a sheep. 

• 2 months later...
(edited)

I've patted a lamb I think while the farmee was there? Least Ive seen them up close lol but yea the mothers protecc them so much so I wouldn't advise randomly touching tho or the sheep unless they are used to it not that they can do much but they get scaree.

Also I been to those farms where u can touch animals, pigs, llamas, goats and that.

Edited by flurry

• The title was changed to Would you hug a sheep or would it feel too weird since it’s food?

Thread title made me giggle :D Well played @The Wife of Hawks

To answer the OP, sheep are abstractly huggable. I have not attempted to hug an actual sheep in the fields though. At least the horses come up and nuzzle you. Sheep just aren't very pettable. Even pigs are better. I rank them only a little above ducks for huggability in reality. Children's books are full of lies.

• Brohoof 1

Never hugged a sheep but have hugged cattle before, mostly to see what they would do. They react about like you would when someone hugs you randomly, around the neck. Or they just keep eating or waiting for you to keep scratching their back.

Very warm and now both of you are hairy.

I never really hugged sheep but I used to hug goats all the time. :) I had an aunt and uncle who raised both but only the goats were well socialized to human contact.  As dairy goats, having animals that trust you makes milking them so much easier.  They’re very friendly, almost like dogs.  I don’t eat goat or lamb but due to my exposure to farm life I see nothing weird about being affectionate to animals that are destined to be butchered some day.  It’s just a fact of life.  

• 1 month later...

It's no more meat than you or I, we've just decided that they're acceptable to eat. I do enjoy lamb myself but would gladly hug a sheep. I don't find a contradiction there, it's just how life is.