Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web who is the most overrated youtuber?

Reecejackox

If I don’t like a YouTuber, I don’t watch their content, and if I don’t know their content, I don’t have enough information to call one overrated. Although I guess some of the famous ones are more popular than they seem like they should be. 

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with all the pewdiepie answers. Pewdiepie's popularity is a fucking enigma to me, because there was a point in time where damn near everyone who knew who pewdiepie was hated him. He was very often criticized for his loud and crass sense of humor, his fanbase and their annoying groanworthy references, and the honestly kind of cynical way he ran his channel at the time.

You know what's changed between now and then?

1. His channel isn't a primarily gaming-focused channel anymore.
  2. He's now the largest and most celebrated Youtuber on the platform.

That's basically it. I don't think his popularity is just confusing, I honestly think it's insidious.

Because here's the thing, his sense of humor now is loud and offensive, it always is and always has been, but his actions lend credence to the notion that it's more than just a sense of humor. He's landed in hot water more than a worrying amount of times over racially insensitive jokes and remarks, has notably promoted and hosted far right content creators on his channel, and proceeded to cast doubt on any media outlet who reported on any of this. This is what I find insidious about his character and his popularity. Nobody ever holds him responsible and he doesn't hold himself responsible. The closest thing you can expect is he puts out a scripted apology video before going right back to what he was doing before and inevitably landing in hot water again. The largest creators on the platform promote him unquestioningly and always jump to his defense when his newest controversy comes up, and the few times someone does criticize him or hold him accountable they usually get bullied for doing so. He has probably one of the most toxic fanbases around. You can argue day and night over whether or not pewdiepie is actually racist, far-right, or whatever the case may be, but even if completely by coincidence, he is very popular with racists and the far-right, and he hasn't made any genuine gesture to denounce them.

pewds cool.

there is no such thing as overrated, its just all tastes. i often listen pewds or other youtubers in the background while doing something else.

thread should've been "youtubers you dont like" :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

This isn’t even coming from a hate point of view. But I have to agree with those saying pewdiepie. I had first gotten into him back when he was playing amnesia. Gotta say it’s crazy watching what happened with him and his channel. How huge his channel is, especially for what content he puts out. 

• Brohoof 1

H3H3.

I loved H3 back in the day. Ethan made some REALLY GOOD content several years ago. But the main channel and the Ethan & Hila channel are dead now and all he's really got going on is his uninteresting podcast. I don't hate the podcast, but it's so uninspired. It has some really good moments, yeah, but it's not Ethan that makes those moments. It's the guests on the show.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly I've found most YouTubers that have over a million subscribers, with a few exceptions, make content that isn't very good and is rarely worth a watch... There are good YouTubers with that many subscribers like Alpharad, but most seem to me to either be complacent with their content after a certain number of subscribers or legitimately just make bad content that people just eat up (Pewdiepie *cough cough*).

• Brohoof 1

TheQuartering is a piece of human garbage and a grifter who's entire business model is based on lying about events and topics often of things he clearly doesn't give a shit about, making a ridiculous amount of videos on the same topics, sometimes on the same day, and using said videos as an excuse to send his band of idiot fanboys to bully and harass people off the internet

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 4

pewds. His content is super boring, its literally just reddit stuff. Though he as a person, he is awesome. Honest, funny, intelligent, down to earth guy

also H3H3 and idubbbz. They used to be wayyy better tbh

(but callux and w2s are not....overrated? w2s didnt post anything on his main in months, he's mainly in sidemen videos and on his second channel but gotta say his personality makes the videos super entertaining) 

• Brohoof 1

47 minutes ago, Megas said:

TheQuartering is a piece of human garbage and a complete grifter who's entire business model is based on lying about events and topics often of things he clearly doesn't give a shit about, making a ridiculous amount of videos on the same topics, sometimes on the same day, and using said videos as an excuse to send his band of idiot fanboys to bully and harass people off the internet

100% this also. People like TheQuartering make me sick. He's absurdly petty and blatant with his anti-SJW agenda too.

This isn't even to mention the likes of PragerU, being a far right propaganda channel that pretends to be educating their audience when they're just brainwashing them...

Edited by Stolas
  • Brohoof 2

On 12/4/2020 at 6:23 AM, Jesse Terrence said:

Pewdiepie, hands down.

Not funny nor interesting. Never understood why is people so obsessed with that numbskull.

9-year-olds

Edited by Izaac

I'm gonna say Pewds, as well.  Now, I actually like him okay, but he's not, like, the greatest thing on planet Earth.  I think James Rolfe/Cinemassacre deserves more subs than Pewds.  I mean, at a meager 3.4M subs, Cinemassacre is criminally underappreciated, considering that James is the father of funny gaming videos on the internet.

• Brohoof 1