Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New pony life toys- this is just sad

ManaMinori

News was given a few week back about some new pony life toys being on their way. Recent news included g1 characters, Gusty and Fizzy in the lineup. While this is great news....their toy molds only vaguely resemble them. Even the previously seen ponies, like Cadence and Sunset Shimmer barely look like themselves- all because they are missing their mane highlights. Twilight, too. This show of low quality is nothing new from Hasbro. But it always saddens me that fans and collectors aren’t raising hell and calling for at least a bit more quality on these toys. (Even though I know that they are not the target demographic) but if Brushables can look like the characters themselves, then why can’t molded mane toys? 
403011-D2-8-C42-467-C-BFF1-971-C6-A3-DB5
275-DC12-C-2-AC4-416-F-9-A05-4-CF5338-AA

Edited by ManaMinori
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

Ugh, seriously...this quality is so low.

I hope that this isn't a sign to come with g5, but Hasbroken's track record with their pony line hasn't really looked great since the early 2011 releases. Potion Nova's brushable was the rare exception, but still....

• Brohoof 1

Saw some of these at target recently. Was confused by them because I didn't know they were making toys for pony life, and they looked less like mlp than off brand horse stuff. While there's been less of it, I'm still seeing G4 merchandise getting put out at least.

8 hours ago, SharpWit said:

Saw some of these at target recently. Was confused by them because I didn't know they were making toys for pony life, and they looked less like mlp than off brand horse stuff. While there's been less of it, I'm still seeing G4 merchandise getting put out at least.

I’m checking my local Target as soon as I can. Low Q or not, I’m getting Gusty >_>

They do look a bit odd missing their mane highlights and all, Twilight specifically. Why on earth would they make them like that? Is it really all that more expensive to slap a little bit of paint on their manes to at least try and make them look like the pony they're supposed to be from the show? :wacko: 

To me, it seems like it's cheap, lazy, and cutting corners :dry:

l still don't know if those are props or the actual toy. I do make a lot of MLP custom figures out of old used mlp toys. So l might have to paint these if this is how they will look. Plus l will mold better mane for Cadence and sunset.

On 12/27/2020 at 9:17 AM, ExplosionMare said:

At least there isn’t any frizzy plastic hair to deal with :mlp_wat:

yeah l hated how my pinkie pie was like that. But when l got Nova, Rainbow, Fluttershy, and Trixie they're hair was smooth and not messy at all. I think it depends on some ponies.

• Brohoof 1

On 12/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, ManaMinori said:

Brushables can look like the characters themselves, then why can’t molded mane toys? 

Engineer here.

You see, anon, given more often than not the molds are filled up with hot colored polymer, that means is hard to make the highlights by adding different colors in a single mold (that would be the best quality since the colours would never come off). Heat and fluids mix well (way too good, actually) making matter diffusion faster due many factors. Usually we take Fick's law without considering temperatures (pretty much a system of 2 separate fluids in contact will attempt to reach equilibrium by exchanging fluids from one side to the other so both have the same ammount of each fluid on both sides). Add up heat and molecular movement will increase the speed of this phenomena. So, usually, when working hot polymers, we just fill up with a single color and paint over it instead of filling a part with one color and then adding the other. That's the standard in the industry when making a single piece of polymer in any industry.

Finally, brushables are easier to make in the sense they just put colored fibers in the little holes of the figurine. There's no risk of undesired mixing and weird looking colour streaks. Just push the fibers in and there you go. Is a completely mechanical process with few quality flaws because we're working with solids instead of fluids, while a paintjob can come up with several problems (reology problems, mainly) given a minimal miscalibration of the gear or the paint can cause several flaws to the final product.

• Brohoof 2

On 12/26/2020 at 4:24 PM, Gaines said:

I never would have realized that the pony in the middle was Cadence. These are just disappointing :mlp_wat:

Cadence and Rarity have the exact same body (except for the wings) and mane molds. Their only difference is their cutie marks and colors. How sad is that?:dry:

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...