Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Coronavirus - How Did It Go For You?

Tom Gallagher

With surely the worst year of our lives wrapping up and with the light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel beginning to come through, I’d love to know how everypony coped with the sudden change in the world and how you worked around it. :adorkable:

This is a place for personal anecdotes so you can definitely open up here if you want. :grin: One thing I will say, if you in any way get political and start debating, your post will immediately get reported and you probably wouldn’t really want that. :toldya: You can talk about when you think it will end and things like that, but please, for the sake of not getting this removed, please be good to each other and stay on topic. :kindness:

Be sure to comment below! :wub:

• Brohoof 1

I felt pretty stressed out, to put it simply. I was one of many people who wanted to do alot of things this year that got halted by the pandemic. I would always get anxious when I read bad news about the situation at hand. I even was scared to the point that will never end. I do feel happy with the recent vaccines being rolled out; that gives me hope that there might be better days ahead after all. Hopefully it's just a few more months of this...

I didn't get my raise at work from my company losing money from all this (was given incentive pay instead), I had to miss out on my Vegas vacation, and I loathed having to wear a mask constantly. Those were the only personal impacts it had on me, I never got sick so much as even once this year. 

Honestly this isn’t the worst year of my life.  It wasn’t great either, but other than not being able to go to movies with my friend or out to eat with him like we used to, nothing has changed for me.  I was an essential worker so I was going to work and back home as I normally did through this entire thing.  

I was scared for my parents as they are at the at risk age, but now that my family caught it and made it fine I’m not so worried about it. 

I was kinda angry about catching it.  I thought I could go the whole pandemic and not get it.  I rarely get sick, never had the flu, didn’t catch the swine flu when that happened, haven’t even had a cold in awhile before the corona.  Corona had to humble me I guess.  :dry:

Light of the end of the tunnel, you say?  I guess you haven't heard about SUPER COVID!  Super covid makes regular covid look like playtime.  Super covid eats regular covid for breakfast.  Super covid is gonna make 2020 look like the best year ever.  By super covid, I am of course referring to the new and improved UK strain, which is orders of magnitude more infectious, so they say, and will sweep through the globe like wildfire on a hot, dry, windy day.  Yeah, we're in for a whole lot more fun yet.  Super covid or not, realistically, we won't actually see any light at the end of the tunnel or return to anything resembling normalcy until 2022.  Ain't that just a ray of Celestia-dammed, mutherf*ckin' sunshine?

Sorry to be such a gloomy gus.  :worry:

This had no effect on me as soon as I learned of China having to deal with it the way they did I knew they would do similar around the world. I believe that covid prevented me from travelling as I would have but rather I stayed at home playing videa and watching anime. Of course so I never really thought much on covid really. That said it is not over and will never be over I believe this will be like the seasonal flue it is obvious to me that this covid thing is going to become the new flu that is.

39 minutes ago, Justin_Case001 said:

Light of the end of the tunnel, you say?  I guess you haven't heard about SUPER COVID!  Super covid makes regular covid look like playtime.  Super covid eats regular covid for breakfast.  Super covid is gonna make 2020 look like the best year ever.  By super covid, I am of course referring to the new and improved UK strain, which is orders of magnitude more infectious, so they say, and will sweep through the globe like wildfire on a hot, dry, windy day.  Yeah, we're in for a whole lot more fun yet.  Super covid or not, realistically, we won't actually see any light at the end of the tunnel or return to anything resembling normalcy until 2022.  Ain't that just a ray of Celestia-dammed, mutherf*ckin' sunshine?

And what medical school did you graduate from? :P Don’t forget to try not to be negative! ;)

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

And what medical school did you graduate from? :P Don’t forget to try not to be negative! ;)

I graduated from the school of youtube!  That makes me an expert, right?  Qualified to diagnose, treat, and give advice, right?  Heheh.  Yeah... that's... uh, sarcasm.  :laugh:   Hey, I mean, I really hope I'm wrong, but a lot of medical experts seem to agree about the new super covid, and a lot of smart virology experts seem to agree about the timeline of not returning to normal until 2022.  I know--it sucks, huh?  Uh... but let's see... I should end on a positive, right?  Um... you know what doesn't suck?  Uhh.... ponies.

• Brohoof 1

I was miserable every day. Quarantine didn't help at all, and it felt like I wasted a good chunk of my life peepoSad at 1x and it baffles me that a lot of people are not taking this seriously. 

I hope things get better in 2021 cuz this is whole virus thing is super stressful  FEelsBadMan at 1x

15 minutes ago, Justin_Case001 said:

Hey, I mean, I really hope I'm wrong, but a lot of medical experts seem to agree about the new super covid, and a lot of smart virology experts seem to agree about the timeline of not returning to normal until 2022.  I know--it sucks, huh?  Uh... but let's see... I should end on a positive, right?  Um... you know what doesn't suck?  Uhh.... ponies.

Those people did say it would take at least two years for a vaccine and now look what we have! :pinkie: To be honest, I don’t know and nopony knows when this will end. :( One needs to keep looking ahead and be positive about it though, even if it is really difficult. :worry:

• Brohoof 2

Unpopular opinion: 2020 was not the worst year of my life. Sure, the whole Covid situation sucked, but I never caught the virus, and I'm in a much better position mentally than I was even three years ago.

Besides having to do school online, my life remained mostly the same, and I was able to do most of the things I normally like to do during the summer. Plus I could always come online and hang out with my friends on the forums!

But anyway, regardless of how 2020 went for you personally, here's to a better 2021!

• Brohoof 1

I'm hard pressed to think of one good thing that happened to me this year. Cooped up inside for months, my mental health took a major hit, haven't been able to see my best friend all year, couldn't go to conventions and events I look forward to for fear of potentially dying, and there's just been this general haze of despair hanging overhead for months. 

So, in short, this year has sucked.

Thankfully my nuclear family didn't get the virus.

My father ended up in the hospital for a few days for something less deadly than covid-19 so it could have been worse

COVID is still going strong, a new year doesn't stop that. So the anxiety that it has caused me has not ended, it has only gotten worse. That's the main thing it has done, cause me immense anxiety since my dad is a high risk person. The virus itself hasn't been the only source of this panic, oh no. People have been another part of it. Not trying to be ultra negative or political or anything like that, but the reality is that the US has handled this pandemic horribly. Our response has been a resounding failure. We've basically given up. As a result it has gotten worse and the vaccine isn't the end all be all savior people think it is. This isn't even considering the government's apathy towards its own people and the suffering they are feeling. There are many good people within the crowds of non-caring ninnies and those people have mostly gone without help.

Whatever little faith I had left in the US as a whole is basically gone. COVID blew the lid off of many things and then some. Many true colors came to full light. This is all undeniable fact and it has made this pandemic so much more difficult for me and many others to deal with.

• Brohoof 1

Might have actually had it back in February. Hard to say since there were no tests. Parents got it and say it wasn't like anything they've had before. It just felt like a run of the mill cold to me. 

As for how it impacted me? Well outside of screwing over all my plans, it didn't. My job was essential., so outside of one emergency shutdown for the day, I went to work like usual. Heck, I worked even more than usual. So other than having less free time and a lot less things to do in it, things worked out okay. 

It's been weird. I haven't seen any of my friends face to face for a while, they live all over London and I haven't been able to get the train to see them. I had to do several months of training for a new job from home. The important thing is I haven't lost anyone to the virus and I hope it stays that way.

4 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

This is very accurate unfortunately. I'm in the UK and the new Covid strain is no joke. It's much more contagious than it was before and the hospitals over here are getting more and more overwhelmed with every passing day.

I think the second half of 2021 will be much better, as the vaccine is rolled out to more and more people. But the first few months are going to be some of the hardest since this begun, especially if this new strain isn't taken seriously.

Horrible, no stepping foot in a movie theatre:dry:  Going to my favorite book store and Best Buy was non-existent:(  Have to keep wearing my mask while at work:stressed:  I for one don't think the vaccine will get to general population before next summer begins:maud:  Please say summer 2022 will be awesome.  

• Brohoof 1

The jobs my family and I have are deemed essential so we still worked when everything shut down. I finished my college classes online spring semester which difficult. Doing figure drawing online from photos and not from a real in person model wasn’t the same. As a visual learner not having my art teacher there to show me what to do sucked as well. Now granted it did help me out having things switched to online because I bit off more than I could chew. I would go to class, go to work third shift then class again as soon as I left work. It destroyed my sleep. Being online I was able to complete stuff when I could without my sleep suffering.

Business wise it’s severely impacted the company I work for. There is no more third shift. My coworkers on third were all moved to other areas or some retired. I got switched to second shift in the same area and while it’s been a nightmare working with my teammate, it’s nice being off third. There is hope with our one guy on second finally coming back. He and I will take care of the work while the leaders niece can continue to not do anything but still have a job. My moms job will be going away in a few years due to covids impact. We’ve been doing more stuff for engineers than for customers just due to slow business. Which is irritating on its own because they like to talk down to people. Although they typically try not to ask me to do anything unless they HAVE to because I’m not afraid to tell them no. Customers come first whether they like it or not

All in all things could be worse. It was a crazy past year and I’m looking forward to hopefully having a better year this year. 

It was a pretty bad year, that's for sure... staying home almost all the time apart from exercising was pretty boring sometimes, but it's better than putting people's lives at risk. All of my family's shopping went online, and packages were at the door basically every day! At least we got a 4-day vacation in a cabin, and, because I was bored, I found MLP and now a lot happier! 

It went well for me actually. I never got the coronavirus, social distancing isn't bad once you get used to it, wearing masks don't bother me since I wear them all the time at work, and washing my hands is like second nature to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't too bad until my mother got it, then everyone at the house got it. Had to go to the E.R four times for my mother who was having breathing problems, she made it though. I lost my smell and taste for about 6 months, though I only had a fever for 3 days. Sadly it got my grandfather; though he was a lung cancer survivor so it took a harder toll. 

As far as places being shut down, it never bothered me. Never went out anywhere anyways. :derp:

I was also considered an essential worker so I didn't fall financially as bad as others.

I lucked out with this lock-down business since I'm a happy introvert with a close friend. Spent lock-down doing garden stuff with them: planning and then buying more stuff for the garden :)  (lights, tub, gazebo, turfs, plants, music) and also playing endless pony cards, RP, reading, games, forums :3, music, dancing etc

• Brohoof 1

While a lot of people see 2020 as the worst year of their lives, I see it as one of my best. Sure there was some not-so-great occurrences this past year, but as with every year. 

2020 has been extremely eventful for me. I’ve really changed as a person, I view particular things differently now than I ever have before. 2020 has actually kinda been like a “wake-up” year for me especially towards the end. I’m a much happier person and honestly I like this version of me better. I wouldn’t be saying this if it weren’t for 2020. As for coronavirus, I personally do not believe it’s as deadly as everyone has made it. I was sick a couple times this past year, who knows if it was Covid or not. I honestly don’t care about ever finding out either. Life carries on. I’ve also never supported the mask wearing and social distancing and etc. I’ve never followed these restrictions. And I’m proud to say that.

All in all I can say 2020 and everything that has happened in it has changed a lot of people and while they may not realize it, it’s changed them for the better I think. Including myself.