Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Coronavirus - How Did It Go For You?

Tom Gallagher

Covid hurt. Not in the top 10 pain I've been in, but I also wouldn't recommend it. Wash your hands, you nasties. Aside from getting the virus, and a couple of other shitty but unrelated medical things that happened, Covid made my life a lot more convenient. My husband got a new job where he was able to work from home, and aside from never seeing him, even though he's across the hall from me at all times, not a lot changed. On the few occasions I do get food out, I bring it home instead of eating it at the restaurant. Vet visits have categorically sucked, but and I'm sick of hearing "The new normal" in ads. I miss traveling, since my husband and I usually do a Disney vacation every other year, and 2020 was that year. I was supposed to see my parents, but they live close to my mother in law, so I dodged a bullet there, I suppose. Honestly, I think we should have been wearing masks before now because wet mouth holes are gross.

When I initially heard of the virus spreading to the United States, I wasn’t expecting it to advance to the degree it has. When it did, my concern grew a bit more but not to a crazy level. When all places but essential businesses shut down, I was fine with that. Me, already being a total shut in, didn’t mind being quarantined & alone for a long period of time. I was also making more money on unemployment than I was actually working. My family and friends have been fine and my life really hasn’t been impacted that negatively. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Several frustrating things happened to me throughout the year, but to be fair, Covid had pretty much nothing to do with them. The only positive thing that came out of this for me, was that it made me rethink my entire perspective on almost everything, which I'm somewhat grateful for. As much as 2020 sucked, something in me still hates 2019 more, but I guess that's more down to personal experience.

Edited by Cash_In

The way our company is screwing people over who get it, it honestly pays you to lie about not having covid and endangering everybody else by coming to work. It’s punishing to be honest about getting sick or having any family getting sick. We’re already a small team and we’re down people due to covid. Not only has our workload increased but the engineers are being an extra pain with wanting their stuff done. Because it’s the “future”, we don’t exactly have the manpower to care about your future, we can’t even fulfill customer orders due to lack of people. They don’t even schedule it, it’s a surprise. They just show up and expect you to drop everything you’re doing to do stuff for them. Normally this was a day walker problem but with our people sick with covid being on day shift they pushed it to us on the off shift. They don’t come up to me because they know I’ll possibly argue about it but it still screws us all over because it puts us more behind losing a person to their nonsense. Especially when it’s unplanned. 

I have a hard time not voicing my opinion when in the moment. It’s a probably a problem. 

Worst year of my life? That's far from being true. Have had way worse years. Hay, even 2019 was a worse year for me than 2020.

The lock up can't hit you if you can keep yourself busy at home. For me that was taking a new hobby (music composition) and dedicating more time to older hobbies (playing videogames and developing them as well). All I needed to keep myself busy was my computer, a pencil and a notebook. I don't like crowded places, so the lockdown was actually nice for that part.

My entire family already had COVID. Everyone is doing fine. No one needed to go to ER (2 members of the family are medics, so they took preventive measures to avoid that). As far as I'm concerned, COVID is more annoying than fatal if people just bucking wear their masks, stay home and stop bitching. Duuude, we have teras of entertainment on the web. How can we get "bored" if everything is at the reach of a couple clicks?

My life wasn't drastically affected by COVID aside from my gym closing and a planned trip to Florida in May being cancelled. Instead I took a couple of trips away from the house with the furthest being Pennsylvania. The busy season at my job was pushed to July due to tax deadlines being extended three months.

I had two close calls, both among people I work with. In September, someone who visited my office tested positive. In December, my boss tested positive so we had to work from home for one week.

Its been a mixed bag for me. I don't mind the social isolation so much, it's pretty much what I'm used to, but seeing all the death around me (that hasn't affected my family yet, fortunately) is still a bit too much for me.

On the bright side, I've been participating in a vaccine study for astrazeneca which has given me an early vaccine and quite a bit of money (by my standards). I've spent some of that money on a custom pony plush, so at least I'll have something to cuddle when it gets finished and the pandemic is still going on.

• 3 weeks later...

i think i got off easy. i didn't have anywhere to go that was important, i live dab smack in the middle of nowhere, live in one of the least affected states of my country, and my government actually did okay with handling the situation. i'm very germ-conscious even before the pandemic, so i was all over social distancing when that system was put in place. the only thing that i really wanted to do for 2020 was to travel, but borders close and stuff.

i downplay covid more than what i should because of my experiences, so i admit i can come off as insensitive on how other people are handling it. i do worry about my friends though, they are in a tougher situation than anyone else i know.

Between both my parents catching it and working for a shitheel company(Amazon) that does fuck all in protecting us and working us to the bone for that last few months, it's been pretty miserable for me

I hope I never get COVID, my dad only went to the hospital for a couple of hours but it was still really scary when he did. Not to mention, tons of family friends have either been in the hospital or died from it. He didn't take it very seriously at the start but from the moment since he caught it he's been really strict on making sure we keep our distance

Let's see. Gladly I didn't get ill, even my family avoided it on the personal level. I have become a total misanthrope and have no hope for the future on the emotional level. I am glad the place I am at now handles it more sensibly. Also I am glad I can avoid as much media as possible. 

• 2 months later...

I've thankfully not gotten covid, yet as I am in peak health I do believe my chances are decent at it. However I am in the risk group given my respiratory problem which I don't think will be an issue as I exercise vigorously. 

That said however I have a mask on and I wash my hands, groups of people I'm around are relatively small only like sixteen people so it's been pretty good I do think that a lot of fear over covid is reasonable although not to the extent that it has become though. So I suppose it is what it is.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

At this point it has not affected my family's life whatsoever. I will not be getting a vaccine. I do not go anywhere at all and that is the way I like it. I think the fear over it has become quite insane and unreasonable. Can't wait for this to end but, it has granted me a home life that I oddly enough enjoy.

Living in a country that priorities the elderly, giving vaccines to the oldest first. And it has been a shortage as well. But my mother got her first shot a week ago, and I feel a little safer knowing if I would get it, I wouldn't hurt my mom.

As for me, I have stayed safe, at a distance. But I see people around me not caring, and it is sad that the virus keeps spreading. Hopefully the vaccine will stop the spreading of this virus, else it will just keep mutating (evolving), and we will go back to a 2020 again

• Brohoof 1

COVID has affected a few of my family members but thankfully they weren’t hospitalized and they were able to recover. As for me personally, I’ve been wearing masks and keeping my distance from people the best that I can. I haven’t gotten my vaccine yet but I might get it during the summer. I know there’s a bit of a push to get one but I have too many things going on and I don’t wanna risk feeling bad on a exam day or something like that.

• Brohoof 1

Personally it hasn't affected me much. Means I get to work from home which is a big plus, and otherwise I already didn't go out much. No one I know got it, and I just got vaccinated this weekend. So on a global scale it's obviously been devastating, but I'm lucky enough to have been mostly untouched by it.

Oddly enough, 2020 was a great year for me. If you can set aside the constant fear of me somehow catching the virus. Lol. Of course, the pandemic is absolutely horrible, and I saw someone I know lose the love of her life to the virus and that is devastating. So I don't want to make light of it... But I will say that the pandemic caused enough of a shake up to get me out of my job that was was causing me so much pain it was destroying my health mentally (so much that at the very beginning of 2020 I was getting suicidal). When the student loan freeze and the stimulus check came around my family told me that I can go on leave until the virus calmed down, but that never happened, and so I quit.

Now I'm vaccinated and soon will begin to look for a job which is more appropriate for me with my chronic pain (which has been alleviated in the last year due to finally going to a rheumatologist and getting medication).

Very revealing for me right now.

Finally graduated, and allowed me to catch up on my hobbies. Enjoying my new private life with my own business at home.

It also revealed that I can stand by the (potentially half-assed) belief that I'm the only human out of 7 billion who wants to beat the virus and cares about not catching it.

Edited by PCutter

• 3 weeks later...

pro and con. I missed when there isn't lots of people around at retails or any stores. But do hate waiting in line to get in a store in almost everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I felt this whole coronavirus was noting but a scam designed to fear us all the take the covid vaccine. 

I don't wear masks or believe in those toxic Jabs. Granted we are lucky to live in the country and hardly go anywhere anyway. So the lockdowns didn't effect us much. 

• Brohoof 1

2020 was definitely a low point in life for me. Started with the passing of my grandfather in June. It was from emergency surgery complications, so not covid related. The pandemic did however delay his military memorial service for several months, which really sucked. That delayed closure for a while. My grandmother became ill with Covid around that time in September and had to be hospitalized in October. Sadly, she died of a heart attack the day before her birthday in November.

Rest of my family was sick with covid around the same time and recovered. I got sick around that time too but tested negative, tho I strongly suspect I may have had it already. I would need to have an antibody test done to confirm.

I was very close with my grandparents so losing them was devastating and took a serious toll on my mental health. I still haven't healed fully from last year. Clearly it's gonna take some time

3 hours ago, RaphLuna said:

Personally I felt this whole coronavirus was noting but a scam designed to fear us all the take the covid vaccine. 

I don't wear masks or believe in those toxic Jabs. Granted we are lucky to live in the country and hardly go anywhere anyway. So the lockdowns didn't effect us much. 

Yeah exactly, it just feels like a massive waste and all for what? 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, RaphLuna said:

I'd basically call it a global hysteria fueled by governments and the media. Of course businesses are taking advantage and using it to make as much money as they can.

The masks have never really been anything but a security blanket.

That said, I'm still going to get the damn shots because you'll essentially be a pariah if you don't and hopefully they'll let me take the damn mask off at work soon.

• 2 months later...