Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tom Gallagher

I’m amazed that there hasn’t been a topic on this! :Tempest: This opening and the pretty amazing song, ‘Equestria’, ended up getting taken out of the movie. :worry: The song got taken out and replaced with the actually quite terrible cover song, ‘Ponies Got The Beat.’ :unamused:
The opening is a great setup and it would’ve very nicely laid out some of the story that non-fans missed out on. :sunbutt: With it, the movie does a better job at introducing them to the Mane Six themselves and the princesses. To lose it is a shame but at least we still have the beautiful intro music. :kindness: As for the song removal, it was obviously a last minute change because the visuals and the dialogue match up perfectly with the ‘Equestria’ song, right down to Twilight’s ‘Ohm’ being in tune with the music. :ticking: The song ‘Equestria’, is beautiful and would’ve been a stunning intro to the movie, especially after the beautiful intro music. :ninjadash:
From what I’ve heard, our pal, Daniel Ingram, supposedly pushed for the film to open this way but for whatever reason, the executives pushed for the lousy cover that ended up in the movie. :mlp_wat:

This edit of it actually caught Ingram’s attention, he tweeted about it and said that it was exactly how he intended it! Just shows what an edit can do! 

• Brohoof 7

Interesting, I didn't know that. zVzzgqB.png

I totally agree "Equestria" would work much better. It has that MLP feel and matches the style of the movie's soundtrack better, as well as it's more on topic I'd say, making a nice introduction in general, where what they used in the end sounds a bit out of place, too bland. You know, I always thought that the intro was kinda meh, but haven't been wondering too much. But now that you mentioned that, I do wonder why in Equestria they decided to replace it. Pa6CktV.png

• Brohoof 1

It even suits the pace of the camera movement at the end. I had to listen to the one they used again and it didn't fit for me.

I on the other hand understand it because is more "pop culture-ish" which kinda suits Songbird Serenade and the "pop movie" feel. (Idk what I'm saying lol xd)

But yeah, it was clearly changed after they've already animated it, the original suits the opening shot more. But the new one suits the whole movie?

Idk, just my thoughts on this no hard feelings :mlp_icwudt:

• 4 months later...

See, this is why I keep saying, Hasbro execs have way too much power over this whole thing. This intro is absolutely magnificent. It's the perfect overture to the movie instead of that cheesy pop parody Hasbro put in...ugh. It saddens me to think just how many ideas Hasbro execs axed that would've absolutely made things 100x more magical than it was. 

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately the studio execs had their dirty paws into everything. They had zero faith in this movie succeeding unless they could plaster it with enough pop songs and big name actors. All they cared about was how they could market the movie and make lots of money from it. I'm willing to bet that Lena would have loved to make a return for the movie if they had simply asked her. But nope! They thought the kids would love the movie more with a pop star like Sia. :scoots:

42 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

Unfortunately the studio execs had their dirty paws into everything. They had zero faith in this movie succeeding unless they could plaster it with enough pop songs and big name actors. All they cared about was how they could market the movie and make lots of money from it. I'm willing to bet that Lena would have loved to make a return for the movie if they had simply asked her. But nope! They thought the kids would love the movie more with a pop star like Sia. :scoots:

Don't get me wrong...it was awesome to have Sia appear...but I truly wish that Hasbro didn't push so hard. This movie would've been 10x better without it just being another ploy to sell toys and all that. 

3 hours ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

This movie would've been 10x better without it just being another ploy to sell toys and all that. 

By far my least favourite saying in the entire fandom. :mlp_confused: Why do people constantly say ‘It’s just an attempt to sell more toys?’ :dry: It’s so irritating! :scoots:

(No offence by the way.) :twismile:

8 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

By far my least favourite saying in the entire fandom. :mlp_confused: Why do people constantly say ‘It’s just an attempt to sell more toys?’ :dry: It’s so irritating! :scoots:

(No offence by the way.) :twismile:

Yea, people do say that quite a bit but at the end of the day, it's all about the money and appealing to the "intended audiences"...

I must listen to that original opening when I get a chance. I learned how it was replaced from watching Bronies React, and I really didn't like what I was hearing. Not only was the movie not what I wanted to see, but it could have been better

When I first watched the movie I had ran across this about a half hour before and can agree that it would fit much better in it. (Finally an upside to being late)

To me, any of the pop songs just didn't feel right and the intro was the worst, in my opinion.