Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Transgender Support and Discussion Topic

Dsanders

Just a bit of an update, my mum didn't take me being trans all that well, it all went down on a post I made about what not to say to your child should they come out to you.  Thankfully, I live on my own now so it wasn't like she kicked me out of her house, she just doesn't want me in her life as of now.  She's been dropping off my stuff at my case worker's office instead of giving it to me directly, my case worker is trying to get a hold of her since she can't be in the healthiest state of mind right now considering what she's doing(she even dropped off some paintings I made for her).  I officially "came out" on face book a little bit after my mum cut me out, I did lose some friends over it but I think it's for the best. :)

Anyways, I'm currently working on starting HRT.  If I could start taking T by the end of the year, that'd be the best but if I only just start the process to getting it by the end of the year, that would be fine too.  With all that's been going on in the canadian gov lately, I really hope the waiting time to get surgery will reduce.  For once, I really do feel like my life is finally going in a direction I can get behind.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

Earlier today, I was watching two different youtube videos of "female supermodels you'll never believe were born men".  I found it inspiring.  I then did something that I know I should never do: I looked at the comments.  I would estimate that nine out of ten comments were something to the effect of "This is disgusting.  I hate these people.  I hope they die.  F*cking sick.  These fags should stop lying to everyone.  They're men and they will always be men.  They make me want to vomit.  Unsubscribing now."  And on and on and on like this.  No exaggeration.  It was the same on both videos.  Support was very slim and hard to come by.  I honestly and truly can't understand how so many people, how so many seemingly educated, informed people, in the developed world, can be so wretched and hate-filled.  As an effeminate man who struggles with gender identity problems, it fills me such indescribable sadness, horror, and despair.

This probably isn't the right place for this, as I don't want to drop all this gloom and doom in here, but I just felt the need to vent this in a supportive place, among my pony friends, in this haven, where everyone isn't automatically a rabid, frothing mass of hate.  Thanks.  Thanks for listening, thanks for this place, and thanks for being here.

• Brohoof 3

Earlier today, I was watching two different youtube videos of "female supermodels you'll never believe were born men".  I found it inspiring.  I then did something that I know I should never do: I looked at the comments.  I would estimate that nine out of ten comments were something to the effect of "This is disgusting.  I hate these people.  I hope they die.  F*cking sick.  These fags should stop lying to everyone.  They're men and they will always be men.  They make me want to vomit.  Unsubscribing now."  And on and on and on like this.  No exaggeration.  It was the same on both videos.  Support was very slim and hard to come by.  I honestly and truly can't understand how so many people, how so many seemingly educated, informed people, in the developed world, can be so wretched and hate-filled.  As an effeminate man who struggles with gender identity problems, it fills me such indescribable sadness, horror, and despair.

This probably isn't the right place for this, as I don't want to drop all this gloom and doom in here, but I just felt the need to vent this in a supportive place, among my pony friends, in this haven, where everyone isn't automatically a rabid, frothing mass of hate.  Thanks.  Thanks for listening, thanks for this place, and thanks for being here.

People fear that which they don't understand. The best thing to do is try not to hate these people or hold anger towards them. One day with enough kindness, understanding and tactful approaching these people may come around. Hate them, give them anger and they might never.

Haven't told my family yet; first hurdle was telling my girlfriend, and she took it quite well. Next time I'm in the UK for an extended period, I'm going to visit my doctor and discuss the options in regards to HRT. I want to lose weight first because I've been overweight for far too long now.  :please:

Anyway. twenty-odd years was far too long to live like this. It's a cliché - that said, clichés are only clichés because they happen to be true - but I really did feel an odd nagging at the back of my head that something wasn't quite right, and as soon as I figured it out and admitted it to myself (and to my girlfriend) it faded.

Oh, well. Onwards and upwards now.

• Brohoof 2

Haven't told my family yet; first hurdle was telling my girlfriend, and she took it quite well. Next time I'm in the UK for an extended period, I'm going to visit my doctor and discuss the options in regards to HRT. I want to lose weight first because I've been overweight for far too long now.  :please:

Anyway. twenty-odd years was far too long to live like this. It's a cliché - that said, clichés are only clichés because they happen to be true - but I really did feel an odd nagging at the back of my head that something wasn't quite right, and as soon as I figured it out and admitted it to myself (and to my girlfriend) it faded.

Oh, well. Onwards and upwards now.

Good luck, friend. You're on the path to a better life.

Thank you, I appreciate that. ^_^  

Sometimes we all need to hear that someone out there approves of what we're doing to make it all feel worth it. Transitioning is expensive, stressful, and sometimes that boost helps get through it all.

Hey everyone! :kindness: It's comforting to see all the support here. I identify as agender/genderless but lean towards male on the spectrum. I was perfectly happy as a child and never saw myself as a "girl" or a "boy", just a "kid". Ironically I was into both Thundercats and My Little Pony and always thought shows/toys shouldn't be "gender specific". I just liked what I liked and still do. I always did relate more to the male characters though. Back then I was labelled a "tomboy" and at the time I was fine with that, I figured that's what I was. But as I grew up I realized it was something more. Ever since puberty I've been horribly uncomfortable with the body I was born in, some days it's almost unbearable. I started binding a couple years ago and lost a ton of weight which has helped, but the discomfort is still there. I plan to get top surgery as soon as I can afford it, with any luck sooner rather than later. My family is pretty accepting even if they still struggle with fully understanding. Some of my close friends know and are supportive while others I haven't opened up to because I'm not sure how they'd react. Even though I'm still trying to explain things to my parents I feel I'm pretty fortunate that they're more open-minded than most. I know some people don't have any kind of support and that's why it makes me so happy to see a thread like this one. Just to know others understand is incredibly helpful.

• Brohoof 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I'm transgender, and have been on hormone replacement therapy for almost two years (my anniversary is Dec 19th). I planned changing my overall hormonal output and transitioning completely to womanhood since I was seventeen, started at twenty. It has been extremely hard, but the ride is worth it (even if, in my opinion, it'll never be truly over). Estrogen does so much to a body. I was already physically androgynous to begin with, but this really heightened my femininity up. I'm grateful to say I can come into any environment where no one knows me, and no one would really see me as anything other than simply a woman. Though, that doesn't diminish that I am still a part of a grossly disenfranchised group of people who need representation and to be treated equally, especially TPOC.

Edited by Coco Pommel
  • Brohoof 4

I finally got my T prescription a few weeks ago.  I was going to wait until I have my surgery to remove my gallbladder before starting it, so I'm going to finally start T sometime later this month or the start of november.  I'M ALMOST THERE~~~!!!!!!  WHY MUST THIS MONTH GO BY SO SLOWLYYYYYYY!!!!!  I was going to mention getting my script tomorrow when I see my dr. I can't wait!

• Brohoof 3

• 10 months later...

Hey everypony, 

I'm transgender mtf, so glad to see such wonderful support in this forum <3 

I came out as trans quite abruptly to pretty much everyone over facebook lol, and I'm extremely lucky in terms of my experience...pretty much all my relationships stayed exactly the same! Sure a few people stopped talking to me, but we were at best acquaintances anywho. I wanted to post this as a reminder to those that aren't out that it isn't all doom and gloom when coming out as trans! My mother doesn't completely "get" it and will say things like "how can you be a woman if you haven't had the surgery?" :orly: lol okay mother, but honestly she's so supportive and willing to listen. I've grown distant from my father who does not accept me, but we never had a close relationship anyways. 

Honestly the biggest issues facing me since I came out are ALL medical focused, my doctor is so ignorant and even though I've been out for over a year medically I'm still at step 0, I'm so excited to be changing doctors this month! Whoop. 

I'm here if anyone needs to talk privately or whatever! 

• Brohoof 4

12 minutes ago, EquinoxDancer said:

Hey everypony, 

I'm transgender mtf, so glad to see such wonderful support in this forum <3 

I came out as trans quite abruptly to pretty much everyone over facebook lol, and I'm extremely lucky in terms of my experience...pretty much all my relationships stayed exactly the same! Sure a few people stopped talking to me, but we were at best acquaintances anywho. I wanted to post this as a reminder to those that aren't out that it isn't all doom and gloom when coming out as trans! My mother doesn't completely "get" it and will say things like "how can you be a woman if you haven't had the surgery?" :orly: lol okay mother, but honestly she's so supportive and willing to listen. I've grown distant from my father who does not accept me, but we never had a close relationship anyways. 

Honestly the biggest issues facing me since I came out are ALL medical focused, my doctor is so ignorant and even though I've been out for over a year medically I'm still at step 0, I'm so excited to be changing doctors this month! Whoop. 

I'm here if anyone needs to talk privately or whatever! 

Congrats on being out for a year!

Also, thanks for posting here as it allowed me to know this thread exists! I was about to feel sad because it seems before your post the last post was a year ago (and there's only 4 pages since 2015), but I guess that means not many of us need support here? So maybe that's a good thing! I'd hate to see my fellow ponies overwhelmed with too many troubles. :kindness:

I'm also available to chat should anypony need it. I have a somewhat unique perspective on the more gender queer side of things, so if that sounds familiar to anypony here feel free to speak to me :D

• Brohoof 3

Just now, WiiGuy2014 said:

To all transgenders, I don't care which gender you see yourself as, as long as you remain good-hearted people!:)

Aw thanks friend, being an ally is great especially if you make that support known like you just did! :D

But ummm :please: the term 'transgenders' isn't very well taken, as transgender is an adjective not a noun. "transgender individuals/people" would be better. Hope I'm not offending you but thought I'd point that out! 

Much love!

I think it´s truly great a thread like this exist, the transgender part of the LGBTQIA+ community really needs more support. Everyone just needs to remember something like gender doesn´t matter all that much, we are all human and we need to respect and love each other as such.

• Brohoof 4

13 minutes ago, EquinoxDancer said:

Aw thanks friend, being an ally is great especially if you make that support known like you just did! :D

But ummm :please: the term 'transgenders' isn't very well taken, as transgender is an adjective not a noun. "transgender individuals/people" would be better. Hope I'm not offending you but thought I'd point that out! 

Much love!

Oh, sorry..*checks profile* Miss, right?

I always thought the term was a noun. What words should I use?

Just now, WiiGuy2014 said:

miss is correct! Thanks for checking! 

And just "transgender people" is fine or for short "trans people" or change the word "people" to any similar word you prefer! 

This site has a handy dandy little guide to follow (especially if you scroll to the table at the bottom of the page): 

https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Misty Shimmer said:

I think it´s truly great a thread like this exist, the transgender part of the LGBTQIA+ community really needs more support. Everyone just needs to remember something like gender doesn´t matter all that much, we are all human and we need to respect and love each other as such.

Well said!

1 hour ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

1 hour ago, EquinoxDancer said:

miss is correct! Thanks for checking! 

And just "transgender people" is fine or for short "trans people" or change the word "people" to any similar word you prefer! 

This site has a handy dandy little guide to follow (especially if you scroll to the table at the bottom of the page): 

https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender 

Perhaps even "transgender ponies" would work here. ^_^

In all seriousness though, it's a common mistake. No biggie, WiiGuy.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...

I forgot this thread even existed... Huh.

Anyways, I identified as trans for a bit myself, though now I just consider myself a non-binary that doesn't really identify with a particular gender. And the amount of hate the trans community STILL gets is f***ing crazy. This is almost 2020, not 1620. I hope that one day trans people will be respected. Though to be fair, I will say there are people in the trans group that really need to clean up their act before people will stop vilifying us. Don't feed the hate with nonsense like attacking people over the wrong pronoun. I may not really care much myself about pronouns, but nobody should ever get attacked over accidentally referring to somebody with pronouns they don't identify with. There needs to be more understanding both ways, honestly. Though of course it's people like us who don't identify specifically as our birth sex that are the ones who need it more. Especially from a society that either showers us in unnecessary attention, or goes after us with utmost belligerence.

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Dustleeshus said:

Anyways, I identified as trans for a bit myself, though now I just consider myself a non-binary that doesn't really identify with a particular gender. And the amount of hate the trans community STILL gets is f***ing crazy. This is almost 2020, not 1620. I hope that one day trans people will be respected. Though to be fair, I will say there are people in the trans group that really need to clean up their act before people will stop vilifying us. Don't feed the hate with nonsense like attacking people over the wrong pronoun. I may not really care much myself about pronouns, but nobody should ever get attacked over accidentally referring to somebody with pronouns they don't identify with. There needs to be more understanding both ways, honestly. Though of course it's people like us who don't identify specifically as our birth sex that are the ones who need it more. Especially from a society that either showers us in unnecessary attention, or goes after us with utmost belligerence.

I know this is not what you're meaning, and you probably agree with what I'm about to say, so know I'm not attacking you. I just think that it's so absurd to judge an entire minority over the bad overreaction of a few, that when someone attempts to use that to justify their bigotry it is entirely on themselves.

It especially came to me when I watched that "It's Ma'am!" video that was supposed to video tape a rabid transgender individual who was overreacting after a clerk innocently misgendering her. It did indeed show a transgender individual overreacting a whole bunch, and that was very bad on her (but not the transgender community at large, at all). One problem that stuck with me with that video was that I don't think I can excuse the clerk. I don't think they were making an innocent mistake.

If I can decipher that so quickly from the video then I'm sure that transgender people have an even finer tuned sense to when people are making an honest mistake or when they're doing it intentionally.

What I think you had in that video was a transgender woman who knew that what was happening there was not an honest mistake. I also think she has anger management issues, which are compounded by being a part of a minority that puts up with a whole lot of BS. That makes this whole scenario where the video blew up as a "See! Look at how rabid transgender people are!" thing among bigots so much more frustrating. The context was entirely swept under the rug, just to further this false narrative of transgender people attacking innocent people who couldn't have possibly known better. And people just need to use common sense. There are cases where someone is very ambiguous in their presentation, but I don't think the transgender woman in that video was ambiguous in her presentation (note: presentation is different from passing). If you see someone come in like that and you still feel like you have to say "sir", I don't feel bad for you. It's a simple omission.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Envy said:

I know this is not what you're meaning, and you probably agree with what I'm about to say, so know I'm not attacking you. I just think that it's so absurd to judge an entire minority over the bad overreaction of a few, that when someone attempts to use that to justify their bigotry it is entirely on themselves.

It especially came to me when I watched that "It's Ma'am!" video that was supposed to video tape a rabid transgender individual who was overreacting after a clerk innocently misgendering her. It did indeed show a transgender individual overreacting a whole bunch, and that was very bad on her (but not the transgender community at large, at all). One problem that stuck with me with that video was that I don't think I can excuse the clerk. I don't think they were making an innocent mistake.

If I can decipher that so quickly from the video then I'm sure that transgender people have an even finer tuned sense to when people are making an honest mistake or when they're doing it intentionally.

What I think you had in that video was a transgender woman who knew that what was happening there was not an honest mistake. I also think she has anger management issues, which are compounded by being a part of a minority that puts up with a whole lot of BS. That makes this whole scenario where the video blew up as a "See! Look at how rabid transgender people are!" thing among bigots so much more frustrating. The context was entirely swept under the rug, just to further this false narrative of transgender people attacking innocent people who couldn't have possibly known better. And people just need to use common sense. There are cases where someone is very ambiguous in their presentation, but I don't think the transgender woman in that video was ambiguous in her presentation (note: presentation is different from passing). If you see someone come in like that and you still feel like you have to say "sir", I don't feel bad for you. It's a simple omission.

Truly. Sometimes is hard to know how to call someone and I've made honest mistakes before. But everyone makes mistakes we're all human here. I hate the fact that in today's society everything is about how much attention can a problem get because in every community the smaller rabid groups get more attention because of their radicalism and violence dragging everyone else under with them by association. 

I will never get tired of saying: just because the radicals are louder that doesnt make them a majority 

2 hours ago, Dustleeshus said:

We live in a sex centered world. And is harsh and horrible and I wish things couldbe better. But I also completely believe they can, in fact, be. Is everyday actions that will define our 2020. The community is larger than ever we need to stick together and not fight each other over small misunderstandings or mistakes. I believe we should pick our battles very consciously 

I'm male to female transgender myself and am currently transitioning. There are also other members on the forums who are also transgender, so you're not alone around here when it comes to the subject. If you ever need to talk, feel free to message me directly.

• Brohoof 3

• 9 months later...

I think I'll try to reignite this chat. 

Maybe make it a "lgb(T!)" chatroom jaja

I'm genderfluid but of course actually being mtf is running around in my head and has been for a while. 

In general, in public, I like to present more feminine. I wear clothes labeled as "women's clothes" and I wear makeup. I generally prefer dressing and presenting myself this way. 

So yea :D definitely have a problem with looking too masculine. When strangers refer to me as she definitely makes me smile inside. When new friends refer to be me as they/she it also makes me happy. 

Tho my voice is deeeeeeep af. I love my voice, I'm fine with it for the time being. 

maybe we could post pics of ourselves on here and support those too jaja jk.....unless :laugh:

thinking of getting into lolita fashion so that could be a fun first pic :pistachio:

5 hours ago, Miss said:

I think I'll try to reignite this chat. 

Maybe make it a "lgb(T!)" chatroom jaja

I'm genderfluid but of course actually being mtf is running around in my head and has been for a while. 

In general, in public, I like to present more feminine. I wear clothes labeled as "women's clothes" and I wear makeup. I generally prefer dressing and presenting myself this way. 

So yea :D definitely have a problem with looking too masculine. When strangers refer to me as she definitely makes me smile inside. When new friends refer to be me as they/she it also makes me happy. 

Tho my voice is deeeeeeep af. I love my voice, I'm fine with it for the time being. 

maybe we could post pics of ourselves on here and support those too jaja jk.....unless :laugh:

thinking of getting into lolita fashion so that could be a fun first pic :pistachio:

You are super valid and I wanna give you all my energy~

I dunno if I'm comfy with posting pics personally, which is better than before (a year ago it would have been totally out of the question) but I still have super bad self image issues and paranoia. If you ever want vocal advice I can back you up though, I've trained by myself and I sing!

Also I LOVE LOLITA FASHION I would get some myself but it's so expensive wow, kudos if you can get some!!

• Brohoof 1