Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Site suggestions: star/ignore feature

Pandora

1 - Maybe add a star feature to notes.
Deviantart and Gmail have this option to add a "star" to the direct message you wish to keep close / remember > if it contain anything special like.. art you received through DM or requests.. that way you can keep up with it more easily if you talk much through DM's.
(Idk if it's there for paid subscriber)

2 - A better ignore feature.
One that hides your threads from the one you ignore / and vice versa.. cause sometimes people will still try to be bad regardless if you have them on ignore on your threads.

These are just idea's.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
8 minutes ago, The Wife of Hawks said:

@Pandora 🐼

Altered thread’s title to give more proper context ~

thanks <3
though.. what changed? :P am i blind

oh wait.. it changed just now lol

Edited by Pandora 🐼
  • Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to Site suggestions: star/ignore feature
2 hours ago, Pandora 🐼 said:

One that hides your threads from the one you ignore / and vice versa.. cause sometimes people will still try to be bad regardless if you have them on ignore on your threads.

It would be nice if this worked the same way as status updates where it would totally block you from seeing an ignored users response.

• Brohoof 1

I believe a Star is already in use to show that you've participated in a thread, and disagree over the Ignore option. While we may find another user to be difficult, we have to be careful with tools that involve exclusion so as they don't get abused. If someone is really trying to be bad, then that ought to become a matter for the moderators to handle.

10 hours ago, Pandora 🐼 said:

This is a feature that is one that is defeated by the general nature of forum software. I shall bullet point the issues. First, know that MLPF is driven by a software that we didn't build from the ground up. That is important to keep in mind. 

• This would entail a core custom code change. This takes extensive effort to complete correctly. 
    • When upgrading the forum for security risks or feature releases from the software company this custom code needs to be manually checked for compatibility. What has happened before, with many a forum, is that extremely well thought of custom code had to be scrapped because the software natively support the code added and upgrades break the code. Time and effort in maintaining custom code has to always be done knowing you have the time and manpower to actually maintain it. The more time to spend maintaining, the less time you have to do other things -- called opportunity cost. 
  • This creates a UX issue. Guests can read most areas of this forum. So can any user who is signed out. This means that you would not really prevent anyone from reading your posts, but just responding to it. That is what is referred to as a thread ban. More on that later.  
  • Picking and choosing who can and can't read content on a message board freely open to the public is against our general values as a board focused on a fandom about social interactions. 
  • You are actually describing a user-controlled thread ban. This is a tool that only staff has the capability to use for a reason, and we only use it in very very specific and well documented cases. In most cases we have several staffers come to an agreement to prevent a user from seeing a topic. There is a check on moderation powers for a very good reason. 
  • Creating a system based on a few outliers and random interactions is basically managing to the exception. That is a philosophy that sucks time from people faster than a vampire exsanguinates its prey. It's a bad cookie and Jeric doesn't eat bad cookies. No thank you. 
  • We have rules against abuse if someone is an all out ass on this forum to someone else. That is what staff looks for. Not if you have personal disagreements. We are not in the business to protect people from divergent views. 

We hope that no one has to block anyone, but if you do it is better to use something that prevents you from seeing their content, than the reverse. This is why a feature like this never existed on MLPF, and likely won't going forward. At present and looking into 2021 no one here has the time to dedicate to this even if it was overwhelming popular. It is also a good time to point out that we never accept that ''x' does something so why can't you?'' as an argument unless it aligns with our main purpose for this site existing. Creating restrictions like this doesn't. Users can always control how to react and whether or not they even respond to something they don't like. Not every interaction users have that is uncomfortable for them will violate the rules. I hope all endeavour to take that to heart.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

This is a feature that is one that is defeated by the general nature of forum software. I shall bullet point the issues. First, know that MLPF is driven by a software that we didn't build from the ground up. That is important to keep in mind. 

• This would entail a core custom code change. This takes extensive effort to complete correctly. 
    • When upgrading the forum for security risks or feature releases from the software company this custom code needs to be manually checked for compatibility. What has happened before, with many a forum, is that extremely well thought of custom code had to be scrapped because the software natively support the code added and upgrades break the code. Time and effort in maintaining custom code has to always be done knowing you have the time and manpower to actually maintain it. The more time to spend maintaining, the less time you have to do other things -- called opportunity cost. 
  • This creates a UX issue. Guests can read most areas of this forum. So can any user who is signed out. This means that you would not really prevent anyone from reading your posts, but just responding to it. That is what is referred to as a thread ban. More on that later.  
  • Picking and choosing who can and can't read content on a message board freely open to the public is against our general values as a board focused on a fandom about social interactions. 
  • You are actually describing a user-controlled thread ban. This is a tool that only staff has the capability to use for a reason, and we only use it in very very specific and well documented cases. In most cases we have several staffers come to an agreement to prevent a user from seeing a topic. There is a check on moderation powers for a very good reason. 
  • Creating a system based on a few outliers and random interactions is basically managing to the exception. That is a philosophy that sucks time from people faster than a vampire exsanguinates its prey. It's a bad cookie and Jeric doesn't eat bad cookies. No thank you. 
  • We have rules against abuse if someone is an all out ass on this forum to someone else. That is what staff looks for. Not if you have personal disagreements. We are not in the business to protect people from divergent views. 

We hope that no one has to block anyone, but if you do it is better to use something that prevents you from seeing their content, than the reverse. This is why a feature like this never existed on MLPF, and likely won't going forward. At present and looking into 2021 no one here has the time to dedicate to this even if it was overwhelming popular. It is also a good time to point out that we never accept that ''x' does something so why can't you?'' as an argument unless it aligns with our main purpose for this site existing. Creating restrictions like this doesn't. Users can always control how to react and whether or not they even respond to something they don't like. Not every interaction users have that is uncomfortable for them will violate the rules. I hope all endeavour to take that to heart.

What about the star feature in dm?

• Brohoof 1

On 1/7/2021 at 4:11 AM, Pandora 🐼 said:

What about the star feature in dm?

I’m actually considering to splitting that suggestion into its own topic, because it is working investigating your feature and some other enhancements for DM’s. Or if you want to do that separately that’s great. 

Being a pony themed board and that we use the star icon elsewhere .... maybe something else would work. But that’s design. The dev aspects are what I want to look into. 

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I’m actually considering to splitting that suggestion into its own topic, because it is working investigating your feature and some other enhancements for DM’s. Or if you want to do that separately that’s great. 

Being a pony themed board and that we use the star icon elsewhere .... maybe something else would work. But that’s design. The dev aspects are what I want to look into. 

It's just a future i'd consider useful cause both Gmail and Deviantart use it too .. like when there's a note /dm very important to you being able to favorite / star it to find it back faster like if it's art related or it contains a picture you still meant to save but have many conversations with others then it could work out or if rp are done in dm (not sure if allowed tho). (other type is fine too ofc, than a star i mean)

• Brohoof 1

@Jeric I have another suggestion for the ignore feature. Maybe change it to where you don't have the option to view the posts of the one you ignored, because when you see that someone you ignored posted in your topic yet you cannot see what they posted, it sparks your curiosity and leads you to seeing what that post was even if you thought it might be harmful for you to see it. I know because I've personally experienced that.