Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Long Gone Gulch

Quinch

It looks... interesting. A bit rough around the edges, but that's pretty much standard for any pilot episode. All and all, though, I'm surprised this hasn't been more visible, especially in the wake of other independent animation projects.

Edited by Quinch
  • Brohoof 3

• The title was changed to Long Gone Gulch

Was going to reply to this earlier after I'd watched it, but whatever.

Anyways, I watched it this morning and it's pretty good. Has a couple of issues like a 1-dimensional character or two, but other than that it was a pretty good pilot, probably 8/10 to 8.5/10 if I had to rate it. I heard about it back in 2019, was waiting for news on it and this morning bam there's a pilot. Definitely need more eyes on something like this, surprised it still has only 600k views.

Edited by Stolas

1 hour ago, Blitzo said:

but I also really like BW

I think BW was my favorite character. She reminded me of Raven from Teen Titans with her slow deadpan delivery.  

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I think BW was my favorite character. She reminded me of Raven from Teen Titans with her slow deadpan delivery.  

Yes! I thought the same thing. She reminded me of Raven as well, who I also love. I’m excited to see more of her.

• Brohoof 1

Had this open in my tabs since a few hours after it was posted I think? Took my time to review some other animators' works.

It was fun, and I'm really happy to see smaller creators be able to push through big projects with so much support, and while I'd never heard anything about Long Gone Gulch prior to its release, it looks as though it'd been in the works for several years.

Unfortunately I don't think it'll get very far. Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss are the immediate series to compare to with their success, and they just seem a lot more organized. We had Nomad of Nowhere from Rooster Teeth, but they're no small production company so they can hold their own for the most part with anything they put out, animation or otherwise. Piemations created Sheriff Hayseed which came in a roughly 3 minute animation, followed by an 11 minute one that was much cleaner. I think that was done better, in part because it was probably meant as a one off thing and they kept it simple. I also found the characters to be more likeable and relatable as well. Cliffside is another western themed animation by Liam Vickers, and while the style and setting differ considerably, I think it's the most comparable in where this series is going in terms of success, but I could be very wrong.

I feel as though the western theme carries a bit of a curse too it. Like a tumbleweed to the less familiar, it'll capture your attention briefly only to blow wherever the wind takes it.

• 2 years later...