Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Opinions on VR

Old Accnt.

what do you guys think of VR 

i think it's great and has so much potential

i just got myself a oculus quest 2

a month ago

and i love it but the only thing that sucks about owning a quest 2 is that oculus is owned by facebook so you are required

to log in with a facebook account

and i have a problem with that

but besides that i love my vr headset

1000x-1.jpg

Edited by MrGuardianGuy

32 minutes ago, MrGuardianGuy said:

what do you guys think of VR 

I tried it for a short time and did not really like it.

The problem I have with it is that it feels incomplete (or, you  could say that it's in the uncanny valley for me). Sure, the images look great, however, no real feedback makes, for me, the immersiun worse than just playing with a keyboard and mouse. By feedback, I mean I should be able to find and open a door handle (or change the magazine in a gun) without looking at it, like in the real world. When I play with a keyboard and mouse, I know that I have to look at the door handle and click the "use" button (or press whatever key I have assigned to "reload"). However, with VR I just expect to be able to open the door normally.

Another problem for me is that it requires a lot of space in the room. Also, standing for a long time is not very fun, but mainly my problem is with the lack of feedback. 

There are some glves that apparently provide such feedback, but, for now, they are really expensive.

So yeah, it's similar tothe uncanny valley for me, VR is realistic enough that I epect more and the differences from reality are that much more annoying.

31 minutes ago, MrGuardianGuy said:

That would be a deal breaker for me.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 1

I think VR is pretty cool :fluttershy:

I got a Samsung HMD Odyssey+ a while back and while I mostly just use it to play Beat Saber it's been pretty fun to use

I will say tho that I was lucky enough to get it as a gift from someone, and I don't think I would've bought it if I had to spend the $300 on it myself. It's more of a "wow this thing is pretty cool to play with" thing than a "this is how I'm going to play video games from now on" thing. It's an expensive toy, basically. Maybe my opinions will change as I keep using it but right now I wouldn't say VR is worth the massive cost of entry

6 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

I tried it for a short time and did not really like it.

The problem I have with it is that it feels incomplete (or, you  could say that it's in the uncanny valley for me). Sure, the images look great, however, no real feedback makes, for me, the immersiun worse than just playing with a keyboard and mouse. By feedback, I mean I should be able to find and open a door handle (or change the magazine in a gun) without looking at it, like in the real world. When I play with a keyboard and mouse, I know that I have to look at the door handle and click the "use" button (or press whatever key I have assigned to "reload"). However, with VR I just expect to be able to open the door normally.

Another problem for me is that it requires a lot of space in the room. Also, standing for a long time is not very fun, but mainly my problem is with the lack of feedback. 

There are some glves that apparently provide such feedback, but, for now, they are really expensive.

So yeah, it's similar tothe uncanny valley for me, VR is realistic enough that I epect more and the differences from reality are that much more annoying.

This is something that will probably improve as the technology progresses. Right now a lot of things designed to provide feedback are either still in development or really expensive like you said, but maybe a few decades from now we'll be playing VR games in Ready Player One-style haptic suits, who knows?

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Floofie said:

Right now a lot of things designed to provide feedback are either still in development or really expensive like you said, but maybe a few decades from now we'll be playing VR games in Ready Player One-style haptic suits, who knows?

That would be nice. But for now, I don't like VR in its current form and prefer keyboard and mouse (and a monitor).

• Brohoof 1

Never tried it or never really cared about it. Until it is completely immersive I am not really interested. I am not really a gamer so it doesn't really have anything going for it, for me personally. 

• Brohoof 2

Virtual Reality is really great in terms of entertainment and has a lot of potential in the gaming market and the entertainment industry at large. I know someone in Los Angeles who has been trying to incorporate VR in a viable way with cinema and storytelling over the past decade. The reason why that hasn't taken off yet is because no one sees the value in a VR driven story when directors have no control over where audiences are supposed to look at any given time. This further compounds the problem when you consider the roll of the cinematographer as an artist. I viewed a short film with VR that had been done. The premise was a giant monster devastating a city and you were with a group that was trying to escape. While thrilling at times, it was very chaotic and I had to watch it several times before I saw everything - not to mention my point of orientation was dependent on the guy who wore the 360º camera rig - and that was messy.

However, VR really has a nice niche in video games and I hope to see it further develop!

• Brohoof 2

@MrGuardianGuy

The Forum Games section is designated for users to play games that have been originally created by themselves. This thread will be moved to Media Discussion with the appropriate tag.

I have an Oculus Go and I love it. It's true that even though there's a lot to experience it still needs more content and a broader spectrum of material. It's expensive but I don't think it'll disappear the way 3D TVs did (because of bloated prices) because it is a good tool for gamers. But to really expand it needs to get more publicity and more outlets dedicated specifically to VR users. Right now there are a few providers but not enough to really capitalize on the vast potential. 

I hope they do more in the times to come because I think VR has the potential to be the next great thing. True alternate reality is a beautiful concept that everyone can use. It reminds me of the movie 'Ready Player One' and all the possibilities the future of VR may bring. I hope it's realized. 

• Brohoof 1

The only time I've tried it is the google cardboard at a library and for a "real" try it was at the Chevron Oil booth at a farm show with an HTC vive(?). The cardboard was a good idea but the execution was lacking, I thought the HTC was neat for the demo/show they had.(how oil acts during its lifespan in varying environments in varying engines and other things)

I would like to try Valve's version, but I'm not that terrible big of a gamer...and the minute I fully"  suit up" someone will show up at the door or something will happen I have a feeling...

• Brohoof 1

I think it's cool. I used to think it was just a gimmick, but more games have added support for it and the technology has improved, and now it's starting to become pretty good. I probably won't get a VR set for a couple years, though. They're pretty expensive, and my current GPU couldn't handle that kind of load, anyway.

• Brohoof 1

I have acquired a Valve Index about a month ago. Particularly after playing Half-Life Alyx, I have become convinced about the potential of VR; I will use it to describe the experience.

Watching a Half-Life Alyx gameplay does not fully portray what it is like actually playing the game (far more than a regular flat screen game). Having the sense of actually being in the world, being able to pick up most objects you see, the changing perspective on objects moving closer to and farther away from you, trying to line up your sights to shoot accurately, performing the same sequence of actions to do a reload properly (at first you are slow but you become quicker over time), surprise enemy encounters making you reload clumsily and aim badly, how real the characters look (I think Half-Life Alyx on flat screen, if anything, graphically looks date but somehow the game looks very realistic with a headset on), the greater amount of stress in parts that are more emphasized horror, and probably many other things I cannot think of now. Perhaps these seem like a set of small things, but I think this is a case where "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" applies; many things that are taken for granted with mouse and keyboard become very interesting in a VR gameplay.

I have generally become bored of games but VR makes it interesting to me again at least for the time being. I may be ignorant, but the impression I get is that VR is still in a very much experimental phase as VR games often look to be relatively small projects that feel more like demos rather than full games. The good news is that Half-Life Alyx alone has significantly contributed to increased VR sales so hopefully this incentivizes more large scale projects. I would fully support a VR-exclusive Half-Life 3 if Valve made that decision.

On 1/21/2021 at 9:02 AM, MrGuardianGuy said:

and i love it but the only thing that sucks about owning a quest 2 is that oculus is owned by facebook so you are required

and i have a problem with that

Surely there must be some way to hack it so that you can disable that requirement? Is the Facebook account required for Oculus store or to use the headset at all?

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

surprise enemy encounters making you reload clumsily

I have not played HL Alyx (I have played some other game in VR), only watched a let's play. What I noticed was that the player sometimes had trouble manipulating objects (opening doors, turning valve handles and such) where ther should have been no difficultly in doing that. I guess this is because the technology does not provide proper tactile feedback (in the real world I could open a door, or feel for a light swich with my eyes closed, I would be able to realod a gun, at least after some practice). Another example would be driving (not present in HL Alyx, but just as an example) - I can shift gears without looking at the stick. I probably would have to look at it in VR.

Maybe I am completely wrong (you played the game, you tell me), but I just do not want to spend a lot of money on a device that, to me, looks incomplete and something I would not really enjoy.

So, yeah, I'm waiting for the technology to improve.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

Surely there must be some way to hack it so that you can disable that requirement? Is the Facebook account required for Oculus store or to use the headset at all?

you need to log in otherwise the headset is completely useless

6 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

I have not played HL Alyx (I have played some other game in VR), only watched a let's play. What I noticed was that the player sometimes had trouble manipulating objects (opening doors, turning valve handles and such) where ther should have been no difficultly in doing that. I guess this is because the technology does not provide proper tactile feedback (in the real world I could open a door, or feel for a light swich with my eyes closed, I would be able to realod a gun, at least after some practice). Another example would be driving (not present in HL Alyx, but just as an example) - I can shift gears without looking at the stick. I probably would have to look at it in VR.

Maybe I am completely wrong (you played the game, you tell me), but I just do not want to spend a lot of money on a device that, to me, looks incomplete and something I would not really enjoy.

So, yeah, I'm waiting for the technology to improve.

I cannot comment on driving in VR; the small collection of VR games I have are FPSs. At least for me, manipulating objects may be somewhat finicky and I definitely need to be able to look at the objects I use, but the way I am supposed to move and look in VR has become something of a habit at this point. I wonder if it is made easier in my case because the Valve Index controllers can sense your fingers individually and how hard you squeeze them (if I am not mistaken, Oculus Quest 2 has this functionality but to a lesser extent and HTC Vive controllers do not have this sort of functionality at all). But it seems that because VR requires more input from the player, games are generally more slower-paced than regular games (at least from the small sample of games I have played with Boneworks having the fastest pace). As for Half-Life Alyx specifically, the enjoyment I had playing the game vastly outweighed whatever flaws there were with VR technology.

The biggest complaint I would have with the VR headset itself is that I wish the resolution was higher; guns are fairly pixelated when I try to aim down their sights.

But despite the amount of enjoyment I got, I would agree that it is probably is not worth buying VR kits unless you were already highly interested in VR and expected to invest many hours using it. Not just because the current VR headsets will -- I expect -- quickly become obsolete, but there is also the question of if there are enough VR games that interest you enough to be willing to by one. Half-Life Alyx was great, but I think that game was more of the exception among VR games; as mentioned above, there looks to be a small supply of larger scale ambitious VR games.

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

I cannot comment on driving in VR; the small collection of VR games I have are FPSs. At least for me, manipulating objects may be somewhat finicky and I definitely need to be able to look at the objects I use

I figures VR, to me, would be most interesting as a driving or flying simulator (with some kind of tilting chair to simulate acceleration), but that would require at least some touch feedback as grabbing empty air pretending to be grabbing some control would not be that great.

20 hours ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

But it seems that because VR requires more input from the player, games are generally more slower-paced than regular games

I also can't imagine doing all the running, jumping and fast aiming for very long. It would probably result in my legs getting tangled up in some cable as well.

20 hours ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

Not just because the current VR headsets will -- I expect -- quickly become obsolete,

That's the problem with developing technology. I remember when video cards and CPUs advanced very fast as well.

• Brohoof 1

when I first got into vr i didnt really like it because my eyes started tearing (is that a word lol) but after a while it got better.The other problem i had was when i got my quest there werent a lot of games  so i just played beatsaber.When other interesting games released there wasnt enough space to play them properly (I punched against my wall multiple times while playing superhot vr :lie:) so i just sticked to playing beatsaber.All in all i really like VR and would definetely play it a lot more if there wasnt a wall right behind me .

Edited by Atlunaz
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I would get into VR but honestly there isn't much that appeals to me. The "Job Simulator" games (the ones with the silly robots) seem the most appealing to me since it looks like you're just messing around and doing silly things but other than that, I'm not sure of any that interest me much there.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Trot Shuffle said:

I would get into VR but honestly there isn't much that appeals to me. The "Job Simulator" games (the ones with the silly robots) seem the most appealing to me since it looks like you're just messing around and doing silly things but other than that, I'm not sure of any that interest me much there.

I'm more into the horror game aspect of VR. It's a thrill and it make you feel almost like your really there. 

I have an meta quest 2

• Brohoof 1

My friend has the full get up, complete motion control and like body cameras everything you could imagine. The only thing he really uses it for though is glorified mocap lol.

I personally think it's seems cool. Everyone who gets one for DCS says once you try it you can never go back to just flying on a flat screen, it's that good for flight sims. But it's also really really difficult to run VR at a non-nauseating frame rate. You need like a 3080 or better to properly run it for DCS which is crazy. That along with the headset cost itself is just a bit too much for me. I'll probably try VR eventually though once headsets advance a bit more and GPUs stop being so stagnate with performance gains. VR is just too perfect of a match for flight games for me to not try it eventually.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
an word
  • Brohoof 1