Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

why is Rainbow Roadtrip so disliked/ignored?

75ponii

genuine question cause i watched it and honestly loved it a lot, it reminded me of old MLP (g3) and how calming and wholesome it was. i liked seeing the fun new designs and town it had to offer as well as great songs (tbh the lyrics were a bit childish but still) and the animation i thought was pretty good as well. But people still ignore it and it barely gets any attention and I barely see any characters drawn from it, what do you guys think?

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, Megas said:

Because it wasn't some super epic "Apocalypse Now" action movie with an obnoxiously complicated lore dump

honestly you're right, a lot of bronies are obsessed with star wars worth of lore being in the show and forget its still supposed to be for young kids

i love me some edgy pony lore here and there but rainbow roadtrip was a great break from that tbh

• Brohoof 2

It's tonally pretty different from the rest of the show so I think it doesn't really have the qualities a lot of people watch My Little Pony for. I liked it a fair bit even I find it a bit simple and frivolous. The world needs more Kerfuffle fan art, though.  

Also, I wonder how many people actually watched it. If your only experience with the show is watching recordings off your PVR or catching up months later on Netflix, it's easy for me to imagine that you never learned that Rainbow Roadtrip is a thing. 

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, AlexanderThrond said:

It's tonally pretty different from the rest of the show so I think it doesn't really have the qualities a lot of people watch My Little Pony for. I liked it a fair bit even I find it a bit simple and frivolous. The world needs more Kerfuffle fan art, though.  

Also, I wonder how many people actually watched it. If your only experience with the show is watching recordings off your PVR or catching up months later on Netflix, it's easy for me to imagine that you never learned that Rainbow Roadtrip is a thing. 

first off i wanna say i think it was a pretty dumb idea for hasbro to not try and get it on netflix or hulu since actually the only way i was even able to watch it was because someone pirated it and uploaded it to youtube. so yea i do understand how it couldve been overlooked just because it never got officially streamed to any streaming apps

second of all yes i 100% agree kerfuffle needs more fanart, it was so nice to see another disabled pony in the show :oh_golly:i also really wish people paid more attention to Sunny Skies, it's rare to see secondary main characters in mlp being male or stallions. A great singing voice and design too.

• Brohoof 2

9 minutes ago, 75ponii said:

first off i wanna say i think it was a pretty dumb idea for hasbro to not try and get it on netflix or hulu since actually the only way i was even able to watch it was because someone pirated it and uploaded it to youtube.

The final year of My Little Pony still isn't on Netflix at all for some reason, so I'm kinda stuck with piracy now that I'm not subscribed to Treehouse anymore. 

12 minutes ago, 75ponii said:

second of all yes i 100% agree kerfuffle needs more fanart, it was so nice to see another disabled pony in the show :oh_golly:i also really wish people paid more attention to Sunny Skies, it's rare to see secondary main characters in mlp being male or stallions. A great singing voice and design too.

I didn't find the songs super memorable in that, but I really liked all of the character designs. As personalities go, only Kerfuffle and Torque Wrench really stuck with me, alas. 

• Brohoof 2

Rainbow Roadtrip just wasn't all that exciting, fun, and interesting. The plot is pretty slow and predictable, and the mane six's seemed a bit dumbed down. Lastly, not everybody, including myself, likes the animation style used for this special.

That being said, there is one great aspect of this special, and that's the characters. This special introduced a bunch of interesting, well-designed characters with great potential (my favorite was Kerfuffle ^^). So even though it was overall uninteresting, somethin good came out of Rainbow Roadtrip.

• Brohoof 4

On 2021-01-21 at 7:11 PM, Landi72 said:

Rainbow Roadtrip just wasn't all that exciting, fun, and interesting. The plot is pretty slow and predictable, and the mane six's seemed a bit dumbed down. Lastly, not everybody, including myself, likes the animation style used for this special.

That being said, there is one great aspect of this special, and that's the characters. This special introduced a bunch of interesting, well-designed characters with great potential (my favorite was Kerfuffle ^^). So even though it was overall uninteresting, somethin good came out of Rainbow Roadtrip.

This. I've never cared for the special because it's just too long, too bloated, and doesn't offer anything groundbreaking to justify its length other than a plot rehashing elements from The Crystal Empire and The Cutie Map. It's clearly the writer's first work on an MLP special as well as the director's first work on an MLP special, and I fully believe that the special would be even more disliked if more people knew the writer wrote Non-Compete Clause, debatably the worst episode of the series, and the director went on to direct the polarizing Pony Life. 

antonego.jpg

Did I mention I'm in the minority of people who actually enjoys Non-Compete Clause and Pony Life? Just like what you like, I don't give af. :Tempest:

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Hope this link for the Ratatouille Critic doesn't break.
  • Brohoof 4

33 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Did I mention I'm in the minority of people who actually enjoys Non-Compete Clause and Pony Life? Just like what you like, I don't give af. :Tempest:

ive seen people get mad at others for even just watching ponylife, its pathetic, im glad you like it though, i honestly like some of the design choices and new characters but i can see how people would get annoyed by it easily by it. i did too at times.

but yea you're right, people should just like what they want, dont get angry at it. and while looking back the movie did definitely have flaws, i dont think it needed a villain or over arching heavy lore drawn story but it was a tad predictable and lines felt a bit off or immature at times (especially with sunny skies' song, the lyrics were VERY simple for a guy that had a very great range in tone) but it did bring more good than bad. the character designs and new setting were refreshing as i mentioned before and even if it wasnt the best i do think it deserved more recognition than it received.  

• Brohoof 3

og_img.png

I began playing this game because it’s English cast are based in Vancouver. That means ponies :mlp_icwudt:.

as part of the lore, and mainly featured every new year, there comes the head of one of twelve clans, each based on each Chinese zodiac. Each representative of from the clan of the up to come year, plus their dragon;  beginning with the boar. It was not until 2026 I think when it’s the turn of the head of the horse clan. Surprisingly, it’s leader made a surprise visit in the year of the mouse

80f7c3e18554cfd656de47cc7cc932115a8b03fa

being the head of the HORSE clan, she had to be voiced by a pony.... right :unsure:?

Spoiler

Not disappointed :yay:

medium.png

• Brohoof 1

Largely because the movie was pure slice of life. Granted, it was GOOD slice of life, but with a longer running time that such a story didn't stick as much as the actual movie or the Christmas special did.

• Brohoof 4

Please don’t hate me, but I don’t like Kerfuffle. I’m sorry, but I just don’t like how the name sounds or how she looks a lot like Minty. I get why other people like her, though.

As for the movie itself, I found it boring but it wasn’t horrible. Like other people said, it just went really slow. I was glad the MLP Movie animation was back, though. Sure, it wasn’t as polished as the MLP Movie style, but it was nice to see it again.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Fluttershutter said:

Where was it even put out? I watched it in my usual ways on the internet but I don't know if anybody's officially streaming it and you can't get a disk.

It ain’t on Netflix, I can tell you that much :sunny:. And I haven’t heard of any disk releases either :Cozy:

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

It ain’t on Netflix, I can tell you that much :sunny:. And I haven’t heard of any disk releases either :Cozy:

10/10 marketing :fiery:

i honestly still wish they wouldve saved the extra money they had for the 2021 movie cause they barely had any left over for marketing and getting it released anywhere that wasnt on tv

I dunno - it feels like a regular episode made to be an hour long - it felt like it dragged on big time. I woulda saved the hour long stuff for something a bit more interesting than an alternative season 5 premiere episode.

• Brohoof 1

On 1/21/2021 at 5:02 PM, abrony-mouse said:

didn't know it was ignored D:

it's maybe not the most memorable, but I remember it being fun! *gives it a rewatch*

Pretty much this right here, though I don't think it's necessarily ignored, fans just tend to pay a lot more attention to the main series, so one-off things like Rainbow Roadtrip may not get as much time in the spotlight. Regardless, I thought Rainbow Roadtrip was very good, a lot better than the then-current season 9 of the main show was. It just felt very refreshing I suppose was the best way to put it, with different writers and animation directors working on Rainbow Roadtrip it just felt like it had more life put into it than the main show during season 9 did :grin:  

• Brohoof 3

21 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

and the director went on to direct the polarizing Pony Life. 

now i wish i didn't know lol

15 hours ago, Odyssey said:

now i wish i didn't know lol

On 1/21/2021 at 9:47 PM, CloudMistDragon said:

This. I've never cared for the special because it's just too long, too bloated, and doesn't offer anything groundbreaking to justify its length other than a plot rehashing elements from The Crystal Empire and The Cutie Map. It's clearly the writer's first work on an MLP special as well as the director's first work on an MLP special, and I fully believe that the special would be even more disliked if more people knew the writer wrote Non-Compete Clause, debatably the worst episode of the series, and the director went on to direct the polarizing Pony Life. 

My two cents

1) Most people are pretty well aware of the fact that the NCC writer wrote it, in fact a lot of skeptical fans were blasting that fact out loud lol

2) Director is pretty much the same position as Jim Miller in the main show. How much say she has in the story is up for debate(Jim Miller had more say than he let on). That said the special was still produced and story-edited by Nicole Dubuc. As far as Pony Life goes, directing has been credited with at least her and 2 other people. Writers mainly consist mainly of EQG Writers and a couple of newbies, with most episodes(from what I've seen so far) being story edited by Whitney Ralls or Katie Chilson(both of which worked on the EQG

14 minutes ago, Megas said:

2) Director is pretty much the same position as Jim Miller in the main show. How much say she has in the story is up for debate(Jim Miller had more say than he let on). 

I could very much tell there are alota stuff about the show he questions - he and M.A. Larson both. They just don't say much because reasons.