Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why only TWO FIM specials?

FlareGun45

So the specials experiments started off on Equestria Girls, and the movies stopped so they became specials. Then FIM released Best Gift Ever, which was pretty decent. Then another team made Rainbow Roadtrip. After that, the specials just stopped coming.

In all honesty, I thought the show was ending and the devs were gonna just make specials at first - but instead, the show ended, and.... that's it, no more specials. Unless you count Friendship is Forever.

So why only two? Why start off this experiment so late only to not make anymore? I wasn't the biggest fan of Rainbow Roadtrip, but it looked like the start of something great! Regular FIM specials in those graphics made by a new team - they coulda just kept making them, but they didn't.

Wouldn't you have liked to see more of those specials?

• Brohoof 2

to be completely honest i was hoping there would be one more special after the series, i was sad that a lot of the writers just went to eqg then when eqg ended left to go work on g5

not the biggest fan of eqg :|

sad they only tried to start blowing their budget so late into the show's life, it was really starting to get interesting with how far they wanted to push it with animation style

1 hour ago, FlareGun45 said:

I think that would've been a nice way to keep MLP fresh in our minds for when Gen 5 eventually debuts. 

• Brohoof 2

Best Gift Ever was for Christmas, the biggest holiday of the year, and Rainbow Roadtrip was built from a scrapped portion of the movie they didn't want to let go to waste. It's somewhat apparent that big specials were never in their best interests, most likely due to budgeting issues. 

It kinda seems like that was an annual thing that would happen while Friendship is Magic was still going. There was also a series of shorts between seasons 8 and 9, which was something that only happened once, though I really disliked those shorts so I don't miss them. Even Equestria Girls ended abruptly in 2019, which I think is because it was really just an extension of Friendship is Magic. It really seems to me like that leg of the franchise is done. My Little Pony has gone somewhere different. 

8 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I think that would've been a nice way to keep MLP fresh in our minds for when Gen 5 eventually debuts. 

Isn't there a My Little Pony show on television right now? 

I think that only two specials were made for FiM in the last years because the show was ending, and I imagine DHX (now WildBrain) wasn’t promoting the series like crazy anymore either at that time. They just simply moved on to other projects. 

• 4 months later...
On 2021-01-23 at 7:26 PM, FlareGun45 said:

So why only two? Why start off this experiment so late only to not make anymore? I wasn't the biggest fan of Rainbow Roadtrip, but it looked like the start of something great! Regular FIM specials in those graphics made by a new team - they coulda just kept making them, but they didn't.

Most likely they had different ideas on the table on always decided against specials until very late in the FiM. I don't think there was a special reason against just other things seems the better alternative.

On 2021-01-23 at 7:26 PM, FlareGun45 said:

Plain and simple: yes. I liked these special much more than EqG (I also don't hate EqG). They were not perfect, but good.