Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning Morrowtide

Goat-kun

Eldritch apocryphal pony beta. This is not merely an RP. It is a stress test to observe current limitations of our system. The unexpected must be expected.

The future is all Friendship and Harmony, but strange times are coming. The heralds, small, unnerving things, are growing like ghastly weeds into impossible calamities. Enlist into the royal guard and venture into madness beyond the garden wall, or watch the wall crumble from false safety.

One might start with a pony character, but selection may change in accordance to one's decisions and world level. More than one character shall eventually be allowed.

11 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

I'll think about it. Seems like the only rp worth doing around this site, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to give a good performance.

You don't need to be particularly good as far as role-playing itself is concerned. You start like a royal guard, make some decisions, stuff happens. The only requirement is that one does not flip the table if things like magic suddenly don't perform like FIM writers intended. Think of it more in the way of a survival game than your standard hero squad RPG where you pop your abilities and expect enemies to faint.

So if someone wants to create a unicorn sword wielder, I can mention that telekinesis is a channeling ability that burns mana/s and will thus impede the character when casting other spells, but to each their own. It's not like their fighting style can't change. There are no traditional classes or skill trees, so a creature of your choice will be able to adapt and learn new abilities as long as those match with their magic type, but that is all a part of the story progression. It is on the DM to introduce new skills to the player like they do it in videogames. And the "eldritch" descriptor means that both players and their OCs are meant to be thrown off balance here and there.

I have searched far and wide for a good map editor that could convey the 3d nature of maps. Figured one needs to go back to basics.

Behold, a fast and lazy approximation of inner fanon Canterlot built entirely out of Legos. Sure, it's not round and has streets, and the airship bays have replaced the weird, spacious platforms that serve no other purpose than to host random events every so often, but it's a good start.

Canterlot02.thumb.png.e92546924bca840b3f780a44d4c2c7c5.png

Canterlot03.thumb.png.a3283c3f8005f2b31d35e701a0969776.png

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, abrony-mouse said:

I'd be up for this :) would probably re-tool an OC for it though. 

Great. And I'll be designing the rest. Will add names and descriptions once I'm finished. Your starting character is familiar with the layout and will be free to explore the city at their leisure while performing their duties in the "tutorial chapter".

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Califorum said:

This looks interesting although I am not sure if my characters would fit, hmm. Anything else you can tell me about this idea?

Can't say too much since exploration should be part of fun, but let's say that everything is gonna get a little weird. Magic won't work as it should. It might diminish. It might start working too well. Creatures themselves might experience change, including the OCs. Aspects of body horror will pop up here and there. That is why you should not get too attached to your OC looks and abilities. Of course, many things will come down to your own choices, but the lingering dread that follows a darker brand of fantasy shall force characters to adapt.

And one can always say that it's their alternate reality OC version since this is, for all intents and purposes, a very alternate reality.

21 hours ago, Califorum said:

@Goat-kun

Not interested in body horror and that sort of stuff. 

Perhaps I was not clear, as is the virtue of eldritch fans. There are many facets of body horror. Nightmare Moon is body horror. For someone like Starlight Glimmer, being reduced to nothing more than an earth pony with a dysfunctional horn would count as body horror. For someone to be consumed by a shadow, that is also body horror of the same tame variety that already exists within FIM. But indeed, this is not going to be a tea party. Struggle is expected. I understand that this is not what most Bronies want from their RP.

Due to limitations of the official character pages and the nature of this RP one is not required to create a character within said system. Just post description, personality, and background here and it'll be k.

*pant pant* Ok I have made my retooled OC :) she's called Clairvoyance Proudhorn

Spoiler
Species: Unicorn Pony
Residence: Chandelier Keep
Hometown: Isolated Keep On The Tall Tale Coast

image.thumb.png.2ed39f3c8288d419c027f136a4bad7d5.png

medium.png

Backstory:

Clairvoyance was adopted as a foal by the kindly lord of Chandelier Keep - Orion, and brought up among the books and unicorn scholars that call the distant keep their home. She grew up in her isolated castle home dreaming about the world outside, longing for the day she was old enough and skilled enough to make her own way in the world. 

She grew up with her feisty younger half-sister, Firey Soul, another orphan like her. 

One day, Orion informed her that they were in danger at the keep and that they must all leave immediately at the dead of night. 

As they travelled from the keep they were all ambushed by a motley crew of timber wolves and bad-ponies, led by an enormous earth stallion wearing a dragon-skull suit of armour. Orion, being a skilled mage, managed to hold them off long enough for Clairvoyance to escape, but was unable to save himself. 

As she galloped away from the keep, her only home, now in fright for her life, she was intercepted by Firey Soul, who had seen the whole thing, and begged to come with her.

The two set off together. Thanks to their skills they managed to stay alive despite mysterious assailants who would occasionally try to capture her. They even made a bit of a name for themselves as adventurers.

However, something gnawed at Clairvoyance. She had troubled dreams of an eldritch God who revelled in pony destruction D: A bitterness that had always been part of her character began to become more pronounced, and it drove a wedge between her and the good-natured Firey Soul. Also, Orion's death weighed on her mind - partly through guilt and partly a flaw in her own character - she put his death down to his weakness and committed herself to proving her strength over lesser ponies and seizing powerful magic for herself >:3 She never fully abandoned Orion's good example and high ideals, but she began to tolerate a brutality in herself that eventually drove her towards the worst forms of criminality. She was good at using her intellect to hide her true nature from others, but could not disguise who she had become from Firey Soul. Eventually the two half-sisters parted ways.

Clairvoyance now wonders as a mercenary. Outwardly she is sparkling and kind, but a shadow follows her wherever she goes...

Personality:

Driven, suffers no foals, adventurous, cruel.

Physical Description:

White coat. Golden brown mane tail.

Powerful physique. Ivory horn.

Natty dresser with her bow tie :3

Likes: Orion, the sea, power/strength, Firey Soul (her half-sis), new places.
Dislikes: The mysterious stallion who killed Orion, weakness, staying in one place too long, cuteness.
Key Moments:

The death of her father, Orion.

Firey Soul leaving when she turned towards an evil path.

Magic Spells: Powerful Telekinesis To Deflect Attacks And Strike With More Power
Magic Spells: Sharpening Metal
Friends: None
Rivals: Mysterious Stallion Who Killed Her Foster Father

3 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Noice!

I might have some time tomorrow. Need to plan out stuff and I'll be busy all day today.

This is Poniverse! Posting something in 14 days is considered the speed of light :P

1 hour ago, abrony-mouse said:

*pant pant* Ok I have made my retooled OC :) she's called Clairvoyance Proudhorn

I can work with a marecenary. She's sensitive to things from beyond. That little spark of insight is both a gift and a curse. Now, we just need to settle a few things:

Describe Tall Tale and Chandelier Keep. It does not need to be very detailed. I'll need it to synchronize your story.

What does Sharpening Metal spell do?

Where is your character currently located and how is she usually looking for work?

How does she feel about timber wolves and wilderness?

On 2/6/2021 at 7:44 PM, Goat-kun said:

This is Poniverse! Posting something in 14 days is considered the speed of light :P

I can work with a marecenary. She's sensitive to things from beyond. That little spark of insight is both a gift and a curse. Now, we just need to settle a few things:

Describe Tall Tale and Chandelier Keep. It does not need to be very detailed. I'll need it to synchronize your story.

Where is your character currently located and how is she usually looking for work?

Describe Tall Tale

Tall Tale is North-West Equestrian coast beyond the smokey mountains South of Van Hoover. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5da2f42d87d27af9949ab94663492a4c.png

It's an adventurous place full of sirens, and recently goblins and hob-goblins - something has drawn them from their lairs under the Smokey mountains.

and Chandelier Keep. It does not need to be very detailed. I'll need it to synchronize your story.

Chandelier Keep is a serene library-cum-castle on a peninsular looking out over the turbulent North Luna ocean. Monk-ponies are the main inhabitants, along with a large number of very bored guard-ponies. Nothing happens there... or at least nothing happened there till recently. In terms of the building - well it's a 5 storey structure, pretty grand inside with marble staircases. Most of the floors are just library. The buildings within the walls are just quarters for the guards and monks, a lil inn for the occasional traveller, a temple to the Pony Sisters and general service buildings. The walls are pretty intimidating - the place stores a lot of valuable knowledge and the ancient unicorn lord who built it really wanted to keep all that safe from the nasties in the region.

She whips material (like earth/water or, at a pinch, air) around the blade to sharpen it just like a whetstone. Really any unicorn can do that. The special thing about her is the focused nature of her telekinesis which allows her to be much more acute with the whipping action and sharpen the blade to a keener edge than most. She prides herself on finding steel to match her abilities and her blades are pretty fearsome as a result - slicing through leather like butter (and slicing through the goblin beneath the leather like a sparkler through red mist >:3 ).

Clairvoyance is always on the move to avoid her assailants, and she is always looking for new things to help her survive and prove herself. At the moment she is in the woods outside Van Hoover, carving up hob-goblins bandits with her scumbag companions: a mangy dwarf-sheltie pony rogue called Molty and a vile unicorn called Scar. She hates them and they hate her, so she has decided to betray them at the next fight and head somewhere new. 

She grew up in an isolated keep dreaming about cities like Vanhoover, but having adventured with ponies she is happier in the wilds sticking sharp things into monsters. Chopping up timber wolves is a particular passion, after their role in the killing of her foster father. However, she is beginning to fear that if she leaves the wilderness for the cities she dreamed of as a filly that she might end up becoming a monster herself :(  she has a real bloodthirst going on rn.

3 hours ago, abrony-mouse said:

Tall Tale is North-West Equestrian coast beyond the smokey mountains South of Van Hoover. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.5da2f42d87d27af9949ab94663492a4c.png

It's an adventurous place full of sirens, and recently goblins and hob-goblins - something has drawn them from their lairs under the Smokey mountains.

Chandelier Keep is a serene library-cum-castle on a peninsular looking out over the turbulent North Luna ocean. Monk-ponies are the main inhabitants, along with a large number of very bored guard-ponies. Nothing happens there... or at least nothing happened there till recently. In terms of the building - well it's a 5 storey structure, pretty grand inside with marble staircases. Most of the floors are just library. The buildings within the walls are just quarters for the guards and monks, a lil inn for the occasional traveller, a temple to the Pony Sisters and general service buildings. The walls are pretty intimidating - the place stores a lot of valuable knowledge and the ancient unicorn lord who built it really wanted to keep all that safe from the nasties in the region.

She whips material (like earth/water or, at a pinch, air) around the blade to sharpen it just like a whetstone. Really any unicorn can do that. The special thing about her is the focused nature of her telekinesis which allows her to be much more acute with the whipping action and sharpen the blade to a keener edge than most. She prides herself on finding steel to match her abilities and her blades are pretty fearsome as a result - slicing through leather like butter (and slicing through the goblin beneath the leather like a sparkler through red mist >:3 ).

Clairvoyance is always on the move to avoid her assailants, and she is always looking for new things to help her survive and prove herself. At the moment she is in the woods outside Van Hoover, carving up hob-goblins bandits with her scumbag companions: a mangy dwarf-sheltie pony rogue called Molty and a vile unicorn called Scar. She hates them and they hate her, so she has decided to betray them at the next fight and head somewhere new. 

She grew up in an isolated keep dreaming about cities like Vanhoover, but having adventured with ponies she is happier in the wilds sticking sharp things into monsters. Chopping up timber wolves is a particular passion, after their role in the killing of her foster father. However, she is beginning to fear that if she leaves the wilderness for the cities she dreamed of as a filly that she might end up becoming a monster herself :(  she has a real bloodthirst going on rn.

Not sure how I feel about goblins in MLP, but this won't matter for long. Let's have an overture.

For now, this is all you need to know: this is a part of the numberless combat system prototype. If the enemy has finished with their move or if their action demands channeling, you shall be granted a check where you will be able to make a choice:

-Attack

-Focus (one of your senses)

-Guard (against an action that your enemy might or might not be able to do)

*Dodging happens if your character is faster or equally fast + aware of enemy actions

-Retreat

• Brohoof 1

Now let's put the thing aside for a moment in order to explain what happened: ambush. When one is not aware of malicious plans one's speed/initiative gets negated. It's how slow creatures can get you. Good thing it was just a weapon. Could have been a whole pony. This is also how you prevent an ambush. You are either aware of it or you make a lucky guess.

On 2021-02-12 at 12:39 AM, abrony-mouse said:

reminds me of a shambling mound in DnD D: 

also Clairvoyance's reaction :P

There can be no bravery without madness - Darkest Dungeon Ancestor ;)

We'll see how it goes. Not sure why the RP is showing you as the last poster instead of me though.

• Brohoof 1

*makes praying hooves at the DM-kun about the goblin napalm* I literally just bought napalm in the campaign my char is based on too :P she is an adventurer and following weird DnD economies potions are much more expensive than swords so she would always stock up on a few useful potions when she had the coin, or pilfer them from the bodies of the fallen >:3

totally understand if you neigh the napalm... or, um bleat it? say no to it I mean 

12 minutes ago, abrony-mouse said:

*makes praying hooves at the DM-kun about the goblin napalm* I literally just bought napalm in the campaign my char is based on too :P she is an adventurer and following weird DnD economies potions are much more expensive than swords so she would always stock up on a few useful potions when she had the coin, or pilfer them from the bodies of the fallen >:3

totally understand if you neigh the napalm... or, um bleat it? say no to it I mean 

Napalm? I'd even allow cheirosiphons and gunpowder-based weapons. After all, fireworks are a thing. Check with your local shopkeeper ;)

• Brohoof 1

:) that'll show the shambling vine thing

ooh cheirosiphons are what those flamethrower things are called. She's more of an occasional fire pony - as the situation requires kind of thing. She's had to gallop away from a few things already that are less choppable with her sword. Like sentient slime things and such. A pistol wouldn't be a bad idea for a ranged engagement for her :3 but she doesn't have one yet. Unlike most unicorns she is more comfortable in close quarters.