Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

food The great Dr. Pepper fiasco!

Harmonic Revelations

Does Dr. Pepper dry out your mouth/throat?  

26 users have voted

1. 1. Does Dr. Pepper dry out your mouth/throat?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't drink soda
    • They don't sell Dr. Pepper here
    • This thread is proof Harmonic should be institutionalized for being a threat to themself and others

Hello fellow denizens of the Poniverse. Today I bring to you a topic of discussion of the utmost importance. You see, I have always had a very specific problem and I need SOMEONE to share in my perspective. You see, as you may or may not be aware, there is a sugary carbonated beverage known as Dr. Pepper. When I was a lad I enjoyed this drink rather extensively, but for health reasons I've been cutting back significantly on soda in general for the past few years. But when I do take the leap and indulge in a glass of the wares of this so called "doctor", something odd happens, a property I have never seen in another liquid to date:

When I drink Dr. Pepper, it leaves my mouth feeling MORE dry than before I drank it, leading me to need to chase it with water.

I have no idea why this is. What sort of toxic waste or secret poison Dr. Pepper could contain that vigorously sucks all the moisture out of my maw the moment that ambrosia touches my tongue, but it ruins the entire experience. It leaves a kind of syrupy dryness like someone just blasted my entire gumline with quick-dry gorilla glue.

You see, for a while I have had suspicions this problem may not be unique to me, but anyone I told before had told me this is crazy speak and that Dr. Pepper doesn't react any different with their mouth than any other soda. But it was a recent DM conversation in Discord I had with someone that absolutely vindicated me. They told me that the dry, syrupy sensation was also felt by them when they drank it. And this led to my need for a broader sample size to see just how prevalent this really is.

I encourage everyone to vote on this poll honestly, as this scientific data could prove very useful in the near future.

I have never heard of Dr. Pepper doing this. Is this really a thing? I know that Captain Crunch cereal cuts the roof of your mouth though.

Moments ago, The Wife of Hawks said:

I have never heard of Dr. Pepper doing this. Is this really a thing? I know that Captain Crunch cereal cuts the roof of your mouth though.

To answer "is this really a thing", all I can say is it happens to me and at least one of my other friends. Beyond that I don't know. That's why I wanted to reach out to the general public.

1 hour ago, The Wife of Hawks said:

What I've learned here: Foods with "occupations" are not to be trusted! 

• Brohoof 1

Never happened to me. And I used to drink this stuff regularly. Even now when I significantly cut off soda, the drinking one for the first time in months and it didn't happened

Even if it did because I wouldn't have cared because Dr Pepper is good for your soul

Oh Please,I have No Soul! - YouTube

9 minutes ago, Gaines said:

I've had Dr. Pepper once in my life xD I'm more of a Coke guy. 
However, I do know a drink that is drier than dry....
Dasani_20oz_wet.png
:eww:

Aquafina and Dasani are foul and how any soul alive can consume them without retching is beyond me. They taste like licking the sweat off the seat of a public bus.

I suppose I can understand how the syrup could dry out your throat, as I experience the same thing with some hot chocolates, but those have more of an ultra fine grittiness that's responsible. The only beverage I know of for sure that dries your mouth is some wines because there're components that literally turn it to leather.

3 hours ago, Harmonic Revelations said:

Hello fellow denizens of the Poniverse. Today I bring to you a topic of discussion of the utmost importance. You see, I have always had a very specific problem and I need SOMEONE to share in my perspective. You see, as you may or may not be aware, there is a sugary carbonated beverage known as Dr. Pepper. When I was a lad I enjoyed this drink rather extensively, but for health reasons I've been cutting back significantly on soda in general for the past few years. But when I do take the leap and indulge in a glass of the wares of this so called "doctor", something odd happens, a property I have never seen in another liquid to date:

When I drink Dr. Pepper, it leaves my mouth feeling MORE dry than before I drank it, leading me to need to chase it with water.

I have no idea why this is. What sort of toxic waste or secret poison Dr. Pepper could contain that vigorously sucks all the moisture out of my maw the moment that ambrosia touches my tongue, but it ruins the entire experience. It leaves a kind of syrupy dryness like someone just blasted my entire gumline with quick-dry gorilla glue.

You see, for a while I have had suspicions this problem may not be unique to me, but anyone I told before had told me this is crazy speak and that Dr. Pepper doesn't react any different with their mouth than any other soda. But it was a recent DM conversation in Discord I had with someone that absolutely vindicated me. They told me that the dry, syrupy sensation was also felt by them when they drank it. And this led to my need for a broader sample size to see just how prevalent this really is.

I encourage everyone to vote on this poll honestly, as this scientific data could prove very useful in the near future.

Maybe you have diabetes?

(edited)
4 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Maybe you have diabetes?

I do have type 1 Diabetes, which I was diagnosed with when I was nine, hence why when I do drink soda I only drink diet. However, high glucose mouth-dryness and the kind of dryness that Dr. Pepper causes are two distinct feelings. Especially since with Dr. Pepper the feeling sets in immediately as the drink touches my mouth.

Additionally with dryness caused by my Diabetes, drinking water won't help, only lowering my blood glucose back to normal levels does. However, the dryness that Dr. Pepper causes can be combated by chasing it with water.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations

• 1 year later...