Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 Details Announced

Tom Gallagher

Get ready everypony, a new journey is coming! :o

https://kidscreen.com/2021/01/29/my-little-pony-rides-high-with-new-cp/
Some more information about G5 has appeared and now, we have somewhat more of an idea of the overall premise. First, the things I like. The fact that FiM will resonate throughout because it looks like it is set in Equestria! :pinkie: That makes me very happy to know that we’ll be in familiar surroundings although maybe it could turn out to be a Narnia thing where a lot of time has passed and thus, everything’s different. :dash:

What I’m wary about is the fact that it’s CG. It will be interesting to see what the new designs will be, I’d like to think it will be similar to FiM because it will be weird to be in Equestria but with everypony looking different. It does hint at the designs being a ‘departure’, however. A thing I’m not particularly keen on is the fact that it focuses on ‘diversity and inclusion’ in an attempt to be more ‘modern’. :confused: That sounds a bit off to me and I’m worried that that could potentially date the show in a few years. FiM for me, is pretty much timeless and will still work and be effective twenty years from now. I hope that this new series will keep that going and do the FiM thing of representing current-day situations but not being too trendy, giving the ponies modern technology and making it appear dated. I also doubt this because the main character is apparently an ‘activist’ trying to improve the pony world. :lie:

Overall, this does clear things up a bit and seems quite exciting. It will be great to be in Equestria again and I hope there will be quite a few Mane Six references sprinkled throughout. :ooh: I appreciate it trying to be different and having one main character, rather than a group to invite comparisons. :kindness: I am a bit wary about what messages it will bring across so I do have a little bit of caution but it all sounds interesting enough so we’ll just have to wait and see... :mlp_smug:

(I will miss my Mane Six though...) :(

• Brohoof 6

• The title was changed to G5 Details Announced

well, glad to know it takes place in the same Equestria we know and love :kirin:. However....

11 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

fact that it focuses on ‘diversity and inclusion’ in an attempt to be more ‘modern’. :confused:. I also doubt this because the main character is apparently an ‘activist’ trying to improve the pony world. :lie:

Those points are a bad sign to me. Starting that they are used as a marketing point before we even known the main character’s name :sunny:

• Brohoof 5

Well, I will give it a try to see what gives it to us once when the first episode arrives. :grin:

Hope that it isn't like Pony Life like the ponies has their modern phones or tablets now or especially Fluttershy sometimes acts very weird. :sealed:

Still miss the FIM though, it was one of my favorite and also the mane six was my first friends that I've ever had.. :(

Edited by Midnight Danny

4 minutes ago, Midnight Danny said:

Hope that it isn't like Pony Life like the ponies has their modern phones or tablets now or especially Fluttershy sometimes acts very weird. :sealed:

I nearly cried when I saw all of that. They completely killed everything that FiM stood for and turned it into the most dated acid trip I’ve ever seen. :(
It was literally everything that I was glad FiM wasn’t, giving them bloody modern technology. :worry: I will not have my six best friends mocked like that! :angry:

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

well, glad to know it takes place in the same Equestria we know and love :kirin:. However....

Those points are a bad sign to me. Starting that they are used as a marketing point before we even known the main character’s name :sunny:

Same. I didn't mind the "diversity and inclusion" message with the Young Six in Season 8, the more worrying point to me is the whole "activist" thing. And the fact that this is the main character they're talking...my optimism for this just became very cautious. 

• Brohoof 3

For the first time I think I can say I'm excited about G5!

I'm actually so happy to see them confirm that they'll call back to G4 and build on FiM. I also like what they've hinted at what will be the main aspects of the new series. I think where FiM left off sets up those ideas nicely.

I didn't think I would get into G5 but I'm at least gonna give it a try. It might be funny to feel like part of the older generation when all the new fans come in :squee:

Will we ever see a conclusion for Equestria Girls though? 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Same. I didn't mind the "diversity and inclusion" message with the Young Six in Season 8, the more worrying point to me is the whole "activist" thing. And the fact that this is the main character they're talking...my optimism for this just became very cautious. 

I generally think FIM handled those topics pretty well. But being concerned by the direction this time is well founded, as the show is in different hands, plus that’s the trend of virtually every media these days :dry:

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I nearly cried when I saw all of that. They completely killed everything that FiM stood for and turned it into the most dated acid trip I’ve ever seen. :(
It was literally everything that I was glad FiM wasn’t, giving them bloody modern technology. :worry: I will not have my six best friends mocked like that! :angry:

I feel you Tom. :worry: Basically and from my point of view, it really doesn't fit with the ponies. I understand, the ponies are cute, I like cute things I admit it, but what in the world of Equestria does modern phones, tablets or Fluttershy acting very weird doing in this "reboot" or something like that?! :wacko: In my opinion, I do really hope the G5 is good like FIM at least and not like Pony Life. :(

But still, the new generations never beats the FIM one cuz the FIM is a part of my life... :(

"the movie will take place in the same world featured in Friendship is Magic and Pony Life" - wait, does Pony Life take place in the same world? I only saw like 10 episodes of it, but it seemed like a completely different reality.

Anyway, I like that we'll see the future of Gen4 Equestria. I just hope they'll focus on interesting characters and good stories instead of "activism", whatever it's supposed to mean.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, not too enthused about this so far. FIM is my favorite cartoon ever, but...well, I really didn't like Season 9 and I kind of hate the show's ending and prefer to ignore it, so the premise of a show set after it just kind of doesn't appeal at all. Unless it's set far, far in the future and only barely references FIM, leaving most of it vague which might work. If it's like...set during Twilight's rule or something and featuring the Mane Six's kids or whatever I'll probably just not even watch it, I have no desire to see that at all.

• Brohoof 1

"New Generation set in the same world" gives me some Beast Wars vibes, but some of the hints on what the movie will be like will doesn't fill me with the same ambition. Though of course I'm more likely to drop it if they re-introduce Giraffe Twilight and Frogman Spike

1 hour ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I nearly cried when I saw all of that. They completely killed everything that FiM stood for and turned it into the most dated acid trip I’ve ever seen. 

Son they've done a ton worse in the main show than having tablets and phones in Pony Life

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Megas said:

Son they've done a ton worse in the main show than having tablets and phones in Pony Life

Don’t even get me started, there is nothing worse than PL in my opinion. :proud: I know that you don’t like Season Nine but I actually do. :dash: (Apart from the ending... and the Students... and the clunky writing) Just a matter of opinion.

34 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Don't get me wrong, my hope is that the whole "activism" thing is just for PR and that the actual plot of the movie is nothing like what we would assume. :fluttershy: If that of hope of mine is wrong though... *sighs* :yeahno:

Or something inoffensive like spreading nerd queen’s teachings, as the recent animatic suggested :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

Don’t even get me started, there is nothing worse than PL in my opinion. :proud: I know that you don’t like Season Nine but I actually do. :dash: (Apart from the ending... and the Students... and the clunky writing) Just a matter of opinion.

I mean there was also the friendship school, who's very concept went against everything that was established in the first episode(Friendship can't be taught in schools), and the show wasted two seasons giving it focus(and bear in mind I actually like S8)

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Megas said:

I mean there was also the friendship school, who's very concept went against everything that was established in the first episode(Friendship can't be taught in schools), and the show wasted two seasons giving it focus(and bear in mind I actually like S8)

That is true. :kindness: Plus, I absolutely despise the Students for taking over for so many episodes. :dry: They were so bland, I still don’t even know their names! :laugh:

• Brohoof 3

The introduction of new characters and a departure from designs featured in Friendship is Magic and Pony Life is intended to shift the brand’s focus to more modern themes like diversity and inclusion.

The belief that unrestricted self-expression ought to be the absolute good is one that is already far too prevalent. I expect I will remain just a G4 Brony if this is to be the underlying theme of the show.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 1

In my experience, the phrase "diversity and inclusion" tends to mean focusing more on who the characters are rather than their actions; media usually does this via surface-level identities that don't really go into a character farther than what the eye can see. Connecting to people by ticking boxes rather than through a character's...character.

At least I still have episodes from G4 I haven't watched. :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

15 minutes ago, Megas said:

Holy shit, a show about friendship wants to be diverse and inclusive, absolutely inconceivable!

Don't strawman or take what people who are legitimately freaking out over this seriously. People have the right to be concerned, but I fully acknowledge that it's always for the best to just ignore what others say, watch what they put out for yourself, and be your own best critic. 

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Don't get me wrong, my hope is that the whole "activism" thing is just for PR and that the actual plot of the movie is nothing like what we would assume. :fluttershy: If that of hope of mine is wrong though... *sighs* :yeahno:

You and me both. I hope they don't ruin the characters with that or butcher already existing ideas. I don't care for diversity, I want a good show and thats all. To be entirely honest I didn't really care that much else for the other races in mlp. They were just...okay, not particularly interesting to me.

• Brohoof 6