Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 Details Announced

Tom Gallagher

9 minutes ago, Califorum said:

You and me both. I hope they don't ruin the characters with that or butcher already existing ideas. I don't care for diversity, I want a good show and thats all. To be entirely honest I didn't really care that much else for the other races in mlp. They were just...okay, not particularly interesting to me.

So long as the plots are good, and the character development is good, I do not give af. :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, CloudMistDragon said:

So long as the plots are good, and the character development is good, I do not give af. :pinkie:

I hope this show avoids the mistakes of G4 and develops the background characters, history, and world more rather than focusing on the same concepts.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

G4 was all about friendship, kindness and empathy, so G5 being about inclusion and diversity isn't that big of a stretch.

I guess not. But just off the top of my head, I can name you several shows I've seen with diversity as a theme. I don't mind it as long as the characters are portrayed for more than just their ethnic background; otherwise, it's not diversity you have, it's tokenism. 

If it turns out anything like LPS AWOO - all style, little substance, pointless characters and lazy plots - I may not watch more than one episode. 

• Brohoof 1

38 minutes ago, Sasoriman said:

I guess not. But just off the top of my head, I can name you several shows I've seen with diversity as a theme. I don't mind it as long as the characters are portrayed for more than just their ethnic background; otherwise, it's not diversity you have, it's tokenism. 

If it turns out anything like LPS AWOO - all style, little substance, pointless characters and lazy plots - I may not watch more than one episode. 

The diversity theme doesn't concern me, as the way they did it in Season 8 was fine to me and MLP's world is far different from ours, making tokenism difficult to implement. I just hope the actual quality of the show doesn't suffer with whatever this "activism" stuff is about. 

• Brohoof 2

The one valid concern I saw in response to this news (over at EQD) is whether it'll suffer from treatment similar to PPG 2016 or not. PPG 2016 tried to be inclusive, yet had absolutely no idea how to do so without being sensitive. Horn Sweet Horn was transphobic trash. They included Bliss as the token Black girl, yet approached it with a colorblind perspective and had Utonium act like a deadbeat dad to her.

Yet, a lot of shows that took inclusion seriously and knew what they were doing handled it very well. Steven Universe had a very diverse cast of characters and was very openly LGBTQ, yet the characters were some of the most complex. She-Ra's progressiveness is in your face, yet it's one of the most popular shows on Netflix. FIM, contrary to what some believe, was extremely political, and the folks didn't hide that fact throughout the series. At times, they didn't handle the sensitive subjects well, but they improved on that over time.

Whether G5 will treat diverse minorities with respect or not or not, I don't know. There really isn't much to respond to or be concerned with. Nothing about it rings any alarm. So far, 98% of the negativity that I saw both on here and especially EQD's just reactionary.

• Brohoof 6

I came to the realization that the “inclusivity”, AKA tokenism, concerns me not because it has it, but because it may it find it’s way to FIM since it takes place in the same world because “FIM isn’t woke enough” :yuck:. Wanna have it? Fine, make whatever you want to your characters. But I’d rather not have another Velma from Scooby-Doo situation :yuck:

53 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

The one valid concern I saw in response to this news (over at EQD) is whether it'll suffer from treatment similar to PPG 2016 or not. PPG 2016 tried to be inclusive, yet had absolutely no idea how to do so without being sensitive. Horn Sweet Horn was transphobic trash. They included Bliss as the token Black girl, yet approached it with a colorblind perspective and had Utonium act like a deadbeat dad to her.

Yet, a lot of shows that took inclusion seriously and knew what they were doing handled it very well. Steven Universe had a very diverse cast of characters and was very openly LGBTQ, yet the characters were some of the most complex. She-Ra's progressiveness is in your face, yet it's one of the most popular shows on Netflix. FIM, contrary to what some believe, was extremely political, and the folks didn't hide that fact throughout the series. At times, they didn't handle the sensitive subjects well, but they improved on that over time.

Whether G5 will treat diverse minorities with respect or not or not, I don't know. There really isn't much to respond to or be concerned with. Nothing about it rings any alarm. So far, 98% of the negativity that I saw both on here and especially EQD's just reactionary.

Sadly, even it is handled well, we all know this fandom will despise any kind of inclusion and proclaim it as "woke" and "propaganda". Even something as simple as acknowledgement can piss people off and we know how a decent chunk of this fandom operates. Not to mention bigoted parents.

For me it is still a wait and see scenario on the overall quality. I simply hope that the characters are done well and we continue to have a world we can love. Any kind of well done inclusion is gravy.

• Brohoof 5

6 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I generally think FIM handled those topics pretty well. But being concerned by the direction this time is well founded, as the show is in different hands, plus that’s the trend of virtually every media these days :dry:

I have to agree with you here, FIM did a good job of handling some of these topics like inclusion and judgment subtly back in the early seasons, and then a little not-so-subtly by the time season 8 rolled around, though they still handled it well. What made FIM so great is that they were able to balance these real sensitive topics with having well-written characters, a fantasy developed world, and also again just not being so upfront and in one's face about it- they were able to tell great stories even when dealing with sensitive issues. It was the talent of writers, show runners, and animators that were able to put together a show that appealed to all sorts of people outside of it's target demographic. What I'm uncertain about is what this new team will be able to do. I'm just not confident that they'll be able to pull of something like G4 again, especially without the super creative visionary lead of Lauren Faust. I've heard that the lead for G5 is some generic executive from Disney, and as they say- lightning never strikes twice in the same place. 

Putting my woes about the new team's ability to create an immersive cartoon that appeals to sorts of people aside, I also have some issues with this new world and characters they're proposing. Having the main character being an "activist" implies that there's something within Equestria that needs drastic changing, however, as seen by the end of G4 Equestria essentially become the pinnacle of acceptance and tolerance for all creatures under Twilight's leadership. Even throughout the series, Equestria has been shown to be a very accepting place for everyone. Anyone who was misunderstood or left out had their issues solved within a single episode (such as the buffalos or Zecora) as the ponies learned that having differences is okay and everyone got along then with no problems. Even Neighsay, the most hardcore anti-change pony we had seen in the series had his views changed by the end of only one season and became accepting of all creatures. It's just hard for me to believe that Equestria (which again has been an overall accepting place all throughout the show) would need a main character in G5 being an "activist"- I really don't think it's realistic within the pony timeline that Equestria would have such deep seated problems, especially with how Equestria was by the end of G4. This also implies that everything Twilight and her friends worked for was for nothing, which is upsetting. It sort of puts a wet blanket on the end of G4. I don't have problems with wanting diversity and stuff in the show, but it appears to me that they're going to try and re-write Equestria into this super intolerant place (which it has never been- ever) to try to appeal to the modern standard in cartoons of "confronting diversity issues" even if it means sacrificing how the atmosphere in Equestria has always been, not just in G4 but in all the other generations too. Again, I have no problems with talking about issues like that (the early season episodes of G4 tackled sensitive issues very well) but it feels like they're going to go about it in all the wrong way and tarnish the end of G4 and turn Equestria into someplace it has never been and realistically within the pony timeline would never become.

That's my two cents anyway :sealed:        

• Brohoof 2

hopefully the toys of this new generation wont be 1 inch tall and have human craniums and have noses so small it looks like a dot 

im really hoping the new style will be a bit more "horse like", i really loved how ponies were stylized in the earlier generations and even though g4 has a great style it is legithard for some people to tell what they are from a first glance

and while i have very high hopes for the show i really hope its not gonna be a lore dump of a rollercoaster to go through like theyre hyping it up to be :orly: while im all for some good alicorn in-depth lore explanations or whatever i hope its still gonna have a lighthearted goofy sense to itself that FIM kinda lost in later seasons

oh and also about the activism and diversity they want to include?i really dont mind - its good to have stuff like that be more normalized to younger audiences. i just hope they dont absolutely destroy any sense of respect they have for the minorities theyre trying to inspire like how most shows nowadays try to be progressive and flop terribly and do more harm than good

i honestly was not a fan of how FIM approached racism by already having the dragons be inherently rude in nature (although this kinda got better in some areas it was never consistent with the portrayal of them) as well as how they handled the buffalos and zecora's character reveals were not the best in my opinion.

I'm curious now as to when in the timeline it'll take place. They've hinted that we might see our old favourite characters in the new show but I feel like that could be anywhere from right after Twilight's coronation to even after the epilogue. I think it's safe to assume we'll see Twi as the main Princess. I'm actually very intrigued by the idea of the main cast being outside of the leadership of Equestria and having struggle arise from that. I really hope they don't just rehash the Princess protégé concept.

We still know very little about the show itself, personally I prefer a completely new setting with a new and unexplored world, but since they did mention pony life, maybe they meant it will be set in a very similar universe but not exactly the same. I need more details to form an unbiased opinion, I'm curious at how they will handle it and what directions the show will go. 

Unfortunately, many fans will criticize the show no matter what happened, even if its good. They should focus on story telling and not to please fans since you can't please everyone, instead of leaning on G4s popularity the new show needs to stand on its own merits, maybe it will attract new fans.

As long as it's decent CGI, I'm still trying to remain optimistic. But if it ends up being that cheap 3D garbage that's plagued TV animation for the past few years, then G5 is gonna be terrible, no matter how good the writing may be.

• Brohoof 2

20 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

well, glad to know it takes place in the same Equestria we know and love :kirin:. However....

Those points are a bad sign to me. Starting that they are used as a marketing point before we even known the main character’s name :sunny:

Yeah, that's my main reservation. Diversity and inclusion in and of themselves are good. Emphasizing them (or "woke" type stuff in general) above all else is bad.

As for setting it in the G4 universe, I'm kind of conflicted. It offers the opportunity to expand on the worldbuilding we got in G4, but it also offers the temptation to get bogged down in mindless fanservice.

I'll stay cautiously open-minded for the time being.

• Brohoof 2

I see many ponies very concerned and very worried about the details of G5 on Equestria Daily and on here, like what happened back during the times of Alicorn Twilight, Equestria Girls and Pony Life. I think I understand why because they don't want change. Change is like a sword. The blade could either be sharp or blunt. We won't know whether the sword can live up to everypony's expectations or just break after one use. That's what most reboots are nowadays. However, it doesn't hurt to give something new a try in order to leave a first impression whether its good or bad. I wish those behind G5 the best of luck. It may or may not be as legendary as G4, but it'll be a good experience noneoftheless.

42 minutes ago, Photon Jet said:

I see many ponies very concerned and very worried about the details of G5 on Equestria Daily and on here, like what happened back during the times of Alicorn Twilight, Equestria Girls and Pony Life. I think I understand why because they don't want change. Change is like a sword. The blade could either be sharp or blunt. We won't know whether the sword can live up to everypony's expectations or just break after one use. That's what most reboots are nowadays. However, it doesn't hurt to give something new a try in order to leave a first impression whether its good or bad. I wish those behind G5 the best of luck. It may or may not be as legendary as G4, but it'll be a good experience noneoftheless.

This goes beyond such decisions. It's clearly tilting in a very specific political direction. Change? I'd embrace change. This just looks like your standard lefty franchise takeover where the IP remains the same, only the characters get replaced by robotic black lesbians and pork chops on legs. Diversity? Activism? They have spent nine seasons stomping non-pones into the dirt cause muh friendship lessons and now the same people are going to lecture everyone about their own mistakes? Stones in glass houses and all that.

Also note that worries are not baseless unlike the calls for optimism. We have lots and lots of franchises that have been ruined due to political activism. But hey, this too shall pass. A burning forest is not a mistake but part of nature's immaculate design.

• Brohoof 3

29 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

They have spent nine seasons stomping non-pones into the dirt cause muh friendship lessons and now the same people are going to lecture everyone about their own mistakes?

Totally based, goatsee.

Most of the show was portraying ponies as the "good ones" and perhaps the only "civil" in their world. Not too different from Monroe's doctrine or any imperialist philosophy. "Bring civilization to those savages" or the modern "Bring freedom and justice to those poor countries" our beloved murican overlords like to yap. :orly:

As a matter of fact, this seems to be a caricature of the murican way. Our way or the highway, pretty much. You don't like it? We have a whole black ops to put you down and international media to tell the story our way.

Oh yeah, but we shall wear medals on our necks by how much we help "humanity" by puking "diversity" everywhere despite the real situation only worsens. :muffins:

Hypocrisy at its best, if ya'll were to look at it from outside their chimney.

Edited by Jesse Terrence
Typoed
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Goat-kun said:

Also note that worries are not baseless unlike the calls for optimism. We have lots and lots of franchises that have been ruined due to political activism. But hey, this too shall pass. A burning forest is not a mistake but part of nature's immaculate design.

Yeah, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, and Dr. Who all died falling on the same sword. One base for optimism though is that pony has much less leeway for the woke treatment, being a show intended for little kids that does not take place in a world anything like ours. I'm fully rooting for this state of unease in the fandom right now to be the next Alicorn Twilight/EQG drama, where it turned out to be much ado about nothing, but worst comes to worst, we always have our AUs and our own fan content. :kirin:

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

This goes beyond such decisions. It's clearly tilting in a very specific political direction. Change? I'd embrace change. This just looks like your standard lefty franchise takeover where the IP remains the same, only the characters get replaced by robotic black lesbians and pork chops on legs. Diversity? Activism? They have spent nine seasons stomping non-pones into the dirt cause muh friendship lessons and now the same people are going to lecture everyone about their own mistakes? Stones in glass houses and all that.

I don't know how to reply to that but I'll just leave a brohoof to respect your opinion. In the end, it's only a cartoon and we can decide whether to watch it or not.

1 hour ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Yeah, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, and Dr. Who all died falling on the same sword. One base for optimism though is that pony has much less leeway for the woke treatment, being a show intended for little kids that does not take place in a world anything like ours. I'm fully rooting for this state of unease in the fandom right now to be the next Alicorn Twilight/EQG drama, where it turned out to be much ado about nothing, but worst comes to worst, we always have our AUs and our own fan content. :kirin:

Hope you're right. It's just that this whole thing looks way too familiar. All we need now is for Bronies to get marked as alt-right by the woke media and we'll get ourselves a Ponygate :P

30 minutes ago, Photon Jet said:

I don't know how to reply to that but I'll just leave a brohoof to respect your opinion. In the end, it's only a cartoon and we can decide whether to watch it or not.

That is correct. It should only be a cartoon, not a platform for Twitter activists. The thing with propaganda is that you must like it lest you are marked as a villain.

• Brohoof 4